oneshot

Clarification on modified magazines

I'll try to keep this short and sweet. I had some 30 round Ar mags that I brought to a FFL gunshop/range/gunsmith to be modified to hold the NJ leagal

15 rounds. waited 3 months. Apparently they are no longer allowed to use rivets to reduce the round limit yet if it comes from the factory like that it's ok.

I was told NJ state police came up with this. So is there anything on the books about this?

If it is true, i do not understand why its any different whether its done by the factory or a FFL. If someone wanted to buy 30 rounders it's not that difficult. Why would you go through the trouble of buying blocked mags and then make them illegal?!?!

I too have heard (in the past) from NJ state police members that they do no accept rivets, but there

is nothing written and the law is very vague as to how the block the mag(s) so some people are very

leary about how to do it.

[Large Capacity means a box, drum, tube or other container, which is
capable of holding more than 15 rounds of ammunition to be fed continuously and directly
therefrom into a semi-automatic firearm. A large capacity ammunition magazine that has been
permanently altered so that it is not capable of holding more than 15 rounds of ammunition will
cease to be defined as a "large capacity ammunition magazine." An ammunition magazine, which
has been temporarily blocked or modified from holding more than 15 rounds, as by a piece of wood
or a pin, is still considered to be a "large capacity ammunition magazine.]

Now some people confuse the "pin" as the pin that seals the mag - I read it as a pin or block of wood that is placed
into the mag and can be easily removed (temporary) when the mag is opened (this is why so many people insist the mags have 
to be sealed, even though the law says nothing about sealing them)

Personally, I don't use rivets, I remove the floor plate and weld a bolt that is long enough to prevent the follower from
coming down far enough to allow no more than 15 rounds.
Some mags have (S&W M&P 9 for example) have plastic floor plates so they cant be welded. P-Mags cant be welded.
In these cases, a replacement block can be used that replaces the original parts of the mag and then the mag seals so
it cant be removed. This is different than sticking a pin or block of wood inside a mag because if you remove the modified bloc
them mag will no work; the mag is being modified, not just blocked.

Paul (PK90) is good at doing mags commercially (I only modify for the guns I sell) so I recommend you taking him up on his offer.
Good Luck!
JT

I talked to my FFL about this a while ago as they would routinely put a rivet in Glock mags to make them 15 rounds.  They had previously been told by the state police that this was fine.  During the last campaign to further neuter our mags they approached the state police about retrofitting existing 15 round mags to 10 rounds and were told they could do that but the police would no longer accept the rivet method.  They told them they had no problem with the existing ones out there, but did not want that done anymore.  Well since mags are not serialized or date stamped this makes absolutely no sense - how would someone determine when a mag had been altered.  The laws in this state are so screwed up.

I too have heard (in the past) from NJ state police members that they do no accept rivets, but there

is nothing written and the law is very vague as to how the block the mag(s) so some people are very

leary about how to do it.

[Large Capacity means a box, drum, tube or other container, which is

capable of holding more than 15 rounds of ammunition to be fed continuously and directly

therefrom into a semi-automatic firearm. A large capacity ammunition magazine that has been

permanently altered so that it is not capable of holding more than 15 rounds of ammunition will

cease to be defined as a "large capacity ammunition magazine." An ammunition magazine, which

has been temporarily blocked or modified from holding more than 15 rounds, as by a piece of wood

or a pin, is still considered to be a "large capacity ammunition magazine.]

Now some people confuse the "pin" as the pin that seals the mag - I read it as a pin or block of wood that is placed

into the mag and can be easily removed (temporary) when the mag is opened (this is why so many people insist the mags have 

to be sealed, even though the law says nothing about sealing them)

Personally, I don't use rivets, I remove the floor plate and weld a bolt that is long enough to prevent the follower from

coming down far enough to allow no more than 15 rounds.

Some mags have (S&W M&P 9 for example) have plastic floor plates so they cant be welded. P-Mags cant be welded.

In these cases, a replacement block can be used that replaces the original parts of the mag and then the mag seals so

it cant be removed. This is different than sticking a pin or block of wood inside a mag because if you remove the modified bloc

them mag will no work; the mag is being modified, not just blocked.

Paul (PK90) is good at doing mags commercially (I only modify for the guns I sell) so I recommend you taking him up on his offer.

Good Luck!

JT

Plastic can be welded. The cost of the machine is significantly higher. The one we use for PMAGs cost in excess of $10K.

Yeah Howard I'm calling BS on this. Because if it's ok for the manufacture to ship them this way then there is no reason why an FFL can't do it the exact same way and be in compliance.

I'm going with what PK said because they are selling his and they have rivets in them. And if i'm not mistaken PK is an FFL not a manufacturer of firearms. The glock 17 mags are also riveted.

What manufacture ships a factory round with a rivet to limit capacity.

You know what thats a good frigging question!!!Im going on what they told me. So its definitely bullshit.

They are selling pinned G17 mags that they riveted and PK's 15 round AR mags that are riveted..

bamboozled