lunker

Snow Blower Recommendations

Happy with my Toro powermax

does yours have the plastic chute and if so is it pretty durable? Thanks in advance

I just ruled out the Ariens, it seems in the past they used US engines but recently switched to engines produced in China. So now you have a SC Headquartered Company making “snow engines” produced in Shanghai China, that don’t even sound right.

does yours have the plastic chute and if so is it pretty durable? Thanks in advance

I just ruled out the Ariens, it seems in the past they used US engines but recently switched to engines produced in China. So now you have a SC Headquartered Company making “snow engines” produced in Shanghai China, that don’t even sound right.

No snowblowers have engines made in the USA any longer.  Ariens was the last holdout until Tecumseh went under.

All 2 stage snowblowers, _ALL OF THEM_, under any brand has an engine made in China EXCEPT Honda who makes their engines in Japan.

Yes, i've had it for about 3 years now, no issues with the plastic chute giving me any issues at all.

the " joy stick" for directing the chute is great and works really well

Most of the brand names don't mean crap anymore. They don't even suggest who makes them. They swap styles and manufacturers every 5 years or so and then you are buying what used to be the other brand's crap.

Except for the top names, but there is always the other shoe to drop there as well.

You say you don't have a lot to do. Great. Check reviews. I would suggest something tall but not wide for under $1K. You don't need wide since you don't have much to do, and they are more likely to choke in the mid range.

Not an expert, just my experience. If you are going to buy commercial gear then I have no idea.

I have a Craftsman from 4 years ago that kicks ass. It was about $650 and it can practically (not quite) tunnel under 3 feet of snow. I don't think that makes Craftsman extraordinary, just I bought something with good reviews that was designed for what it is. Not some underpowered $650 thrower made up to look like a road plow, which it could not do.

No snowblowers have engines made in the USA any longer.  Ariens was the last holdout until Tecumseh went under.

All 2 stage snowblowers, _ALL OF THEM_, under any brand has an engine made in China EXCEPT Honda who makes their engines in Japan.

Terrible, I have a 30 + year old Craftsman unit with a B&S engine that will start on 1 or 2 pulls. Can I get another season out of it? Don’t know. The problem is the snow blower itself is getting worn out and  I’m not a real big fan of Chinese products but they are getting impossible to avoid...

Yes, i've had it for about 3 years now, no issues with the plastic chute giving me any issues at all.

the " joy stick" for directing the chute is great and works really well

Thanks for the info. I should have said Polymers, sounds better. I guess it’s sturdy & strong like the polymer mags. I think I going roll the dice on the Toro. Just checked out a few more reviews, looking good so far. I spoke to my neighbor today, he has the Ariens with the Tecumseh. He said the Ariens is OK but would have been better with a little more weight for stability, he actually added weight to his. His is the older one, maybe they corrected that in the new revisions

Terrible, I have a 30 + year old Craftsman unit with a B&S engine that will start on 1 or 2 pulls. Can I get another season out of it? Don’t know. The problem is the snow blower itself is getting worn out and  I’m not a real big fan of Chinese products but they are getting impossible to avoid...

Ariens snowblowers are 100% made in the USA except the engine.  The Platinum and Professional models are as well built as they ever were, more on some things like the auger gears.  The Deluxe and Compact models are good but they use less metal, cheaper parts and compared to a 30 yo Ariens are "flimsy", but still better than the MTD Yard crap.

The Chinese motors of recent, are essentially are knock-offs of Japanese motors and work every well.   This is not to say I'd prefer Chinese over USA, just that they aren't the POS that you would have bought 10+ years ago.