Zachus

Question about Selling my Grandfather's Guns

My Grandpop was an avid gun collector and when he died, left behind about 30 firearms. I was the only person in his family who shared his passion, and he got me my first job pulling trap when I was a teenager. Before he died, he asked me to make sure that they were taken care of legally, responsibly, and respectfully. None of this was in writing, so he did not officially pass them down to me. This January, I accepted a job in Reading and I am now a PA resident. My grandmother would like me to take care of his collection, and members of my family are already calling dibs on different guns. I have made it clear that if anyone wants any of these guns, they must first obtain a firearms permit and let me give them lessons on proper usage, safety, and maintanance. To them, the guns are a way to remember him, but they do not yet respect the power that they wield or the legal consequences of doing anything wrong with a gun in New Jersey.

My main question is this. What can I do, as a PA resident to see that some of these guns are legally passed on to my family and the rest of them sold?

From what you've said, all the firearms now belong to your grandmother.

As long as she's not a Prohibited Person, they are hers to control (sell, give away, otherwise dispose of) according to NJ law

(I assume she and your grandfather were NJ residents and she remains here)

You can help her, no matter your state of residence, but you can't take possession of them without going through an FFL now that you're a PA resident.

She must sign the COE's or PPP's when they are directly transferred out to other NJ residents with FID cards or unused PPP's

If it was me in your position, I'd lock them all up (in NJ) and keep the access to yourself so no one bamboozles your grandmother in your absence.

If it was your grandfather's wish that you inherit his entire collection then your grandmother is probably aware of this.  After he passed on she is now the owner of those firearms.  It's up to granny to decide whether she will follow her late husband's wishes or do something else.  However it works out, you are in a difficult position that must be handled with diplomacy.

EDIT:  Would it be possible to set up dual residency in NJ, perhaps with your grandmother to simplify the transfer process.

+1 to locking them up until this can be worked out. 

Thanks. That's helpful. I assume that she would also need to get some kind of permit to sell them or is she grandfathered in (pun intended)?

No, she does not need a permit to sell/transfer them to you. Long guns can be done by an FFL in either state but handguns must be transferred through a FFL in the transferee's state (PA).

No, she does not need a permit to sell/transfer them to you. Long guns can be done by an FFL in either state but handguns must be transferred through a FFL in the transferee's state (PA).

I am the only member of my family who is out of NJ, and I have a license to carry in PA, but I'd rather not transfer everything to me since I only have a small apartment. I have already taken care of my guns. The rest are either to be given to family members (once they are ready) and sold. After we transfer to my family members, would my grandmom be able to sell them herself (with my help) in NJ through forums like this and through personal contacts? My Grandpop make it clear that he did not want her to go to our local gun shop because they regularly rip off women like her who don't know much about what they were left.

Your grandmother can sell any Rifle to any NJ resident with an FPID face to face. She does not need an FPID to sell and does not need to go through an FFL. When she sells them she and the buyer must fill out a COE, Certificate of Eligibility. There is no legal requirement to keep or do anything with the COE other than fill it out.

She can sell a pistol face to face to any NJ resident with a valid Pistol Purchase permit. One she keep, one the buyer keeps, one the town police get, one the state police get. 

Anything sold to somebody out of state must go through an FFL.

If it was me in your position, I'd lock them all up (in NJ) and keep the access to yourself so no one bamboozles your grandmother in your absence.

+1 to this as well.

My dad "lost" a few sentimental guns that were in the family due to some cousins that probably just sold them for beer money.

I am the only member of my family who is out of NJ, and I have a license to carry in PA, but I'd rather not transfer everything to me since I only have a small apartment. I have already taken care of my guns. The rest are either to be given to family members (once they are ready) and sold. After we transfer to my family members, would my grandmom be able to sell them herself (with my help) in NJ through forums like this and through personal contacts? My Grandpop make it clear that he did not want her to go to our local gun shop because they regularly rip off women like her who don't know much about what they were left.

As the person who inherited them, she is GTG as the owner. As the owner, she may sell to anyone with the proper paperwork to buy them following the usual rules for face to face sales. There are stickies here on that. What she doesn't have is all of the exceptions for transporting that an FID holder has. For family members coming to the house and completing the paperwork, no big deal. For strangers? That may not be desirable. 

As the person who inherited them, she is GTG as the owner. As the owner, she may sell to anyone with the proper paperwork to buy them following the usual rules for face to face sales. There are stickies here on that. What she doesn't have is all of the exceptions for transporting that an FID holder has. For family members coming to the house and completing the paperwork, no big deal. For strangers? That may not be desirable. 

In some cases, even some family members might not be desirable.....just sayin'

These are now Grandmom's guns.  Whatever your grandfather wanted it's now up to her to decide everything.   She can sell or give them to NJ residents and she might want your input.   If she wants you to have any, she will need to go through an FFL.

Just be careful not to steamroll over her.  These are her guns now and it is totally her decision what happens to them.

I would encourage you to suggest a holding period, where your grandmother puts them back in the safe and leaves them there for a while - like a year.  Then decide if any family wants them.  I inherited a number of firearms and didn't think I wanted them.  I regret selling every one of them.  Once they're gone they aren't coming back. It wasn't the value, it's connection I would have had with my uncle. 

My grandpop actually died a few years back, and interest in his guns seems to come in waves. Like I said, I'm the only one who is actually interested in firing them. Everyone else is interested in the sentimental value. Most recently, my cousin got into some trouble with some drug dealers in Trenton and they used Facebook to figure out who his mother and grandmother were and threaten them. The whole thing was pretty scary. The dealers are in prison now and my cousin moved to the shore, but the whole thing got me a bit spooked. I changed the lock on the room where the guns are kept, and catalogued what was in the safes. I couldn't risk him coming to arm himself or steal the guns to sell. This got the family interested again in taking what guns they want. I figure that this is the best time to finally make it happen. I'm going to go back there next week and get better pictures and start getting my family to make some decisions so that we can sell what is left. My grandmom, though she owns them now, wants nothing to do with them. She never cared much for his hobby, and would be happy to be rid of them all. I'll start asking around the gun owners I know in NJ and get it moving. Thanks everyone!

After any firearms are correctly transferred to family members, there are businesses that will buy entire collections for anything that is left over. I don't know if you'll get a better deal than selling to a gunstore. If your grandmother doesn't want to deal with selling to several different individuals it may be easier.

You may want inquire with some FFLs and see if they would/could sell on some type of cosignment basis. Have them advertise to their customer base and let the FFL deal with all the buyers. She gets a better deal, the FFL keeps a portion of each sale and the FFL's customers get the opportunity to purchase some well cared for firearms.

Good luck.

Or just create a thread on this site.  Everyone here is trustworthy, and honest.  And I'm sure we wouldn't mind a little "friend discount" for the advice we have given :p

Even though it's more work, you're going to get more if you sell privately to NJ residents than if you sell to a dealer.

Here is another tip:  Take the pictures and make a catalog complete with serial numbers.

While I have never inherited any guns a number of relatives who died decades ago were very successful competitive shooters, had some WWII memorabilia, etc.  After a couple generations the guns are not always in the obvious hands even within the family, due to adoptions, who had interest from generation to generation, etc.  The question of "what happened to so and so's guns?" comes up as does "where did this thing come from?"

I would also try to keep everything in the family, or close friends, if that is possible.

Yes, but if he wanted to transfer long guns at a NJ dealer he would need a NJ FPID with his PA address on it, probably not worth the trouble.