fapipa

Home insurance question

Thanks for everyone's input. I'm not going to file a claim, it looks like it's not worth the time and hassle. The neighbors are very nice and friendly, but they would not be able to physically help with the cleanup and repairs, so we'll have to do that ourselves. I can use the exercise anyway.

Smart move. And probably your only recourse. But you should ask them if they can compensate you some way. $150? $200? 

Curiosity: Where do you live?

I like larger commercial business.  It's fun.  

I cut my teeth rating policies manually, and with my nose stuck deep in the CLM.

Writing actual insurance, property in particular, is a lost art.

Ask a newish underwriter today about agreed value.  

"Huh?"

: ) 

The lost art is not quite lost yet in the marine world.

^^ What he said.

I would not make a claim on something that small even if I had zero deductible.

I would go have a friendly conversation with the neighbor and make a plan to clean it up that includes them.   If you don't have a saw, you should probably get one, but at least ask around, someone you know can help.  I would feel vulnerable without at least 2 chain saws(currently have 4), but that's just me.

My conversation would go like this..

"Hey Bob, what a wind storm Eh?   Your tree really did a number on my fence huh?   How about this weekend, I'll get a saw and you and I can clean this thing up, I'll even spring for pizza/burgers/whatever, and in an hour or two and we'll have this fixed right up."

If he looks at you like you just shat in his Wheaties, then change the tone.  "Well, if you can't help me do some labor, then a few hundred towards repairing the fence will go a long way".

If at that point, he looks like you just killed his favorite puppy then you know what kind of a person he is and walk away and never speak to him again.

What is the vernacular for unequivocally approving of a post? -17? Whatever.

No it's not. But it's not because it is an act of god, but because the policy says.. this doesn't cover floods. It also has special payouts for hurricanes that differ from normal coverage. In no case to they resort to some form of theism to deny coverage. 

I'm the guy who had Sandy damage where the neighbor's trees came down and crushed my fence in three spots, as well as smashing the swing set (one of those fancy wooden fort sort of things).  My Homeowner deductible is $750.  We never made any claims in 20 years of coverage. The insurance company took care of it minus the deductible.

Then last year, another tree came down from another neighbor's plot and smashed the side fence.  I hired a guy to clear out the mess and fix the fence section (this is a 4-ft chain-link, nothing fancy).  The cost was more in line with your damage, so there was no point in filing a claim.

The insult added to injury was neither one of them gave a shit that their trees smashed my fence.  I understand the rule is that you are responsible for your own damage repair, regardless of who owned the tree.  Can you prove the tree was diseased to assign liability?  Probably not, since you tend not to document these sorts of things in advance.  I guess the good thing is that there aren't any neighbor trees left to fall over.  They all fell over!

Nobody offered to split costs for repair, which is why we don't talk to them any longer.  People are douchebags, generally speaking.