Sign in to follow this  
jackandjill

Serialized Barrel

Depends on the firearm. A Ruger Mark series pistol for instance, the barrel IS the receiver and therefore the firearm as per ATF

Gan? whodafud?

I think its easier to relate a ruger to having a lower and upper receiver. To which the upper portion is serialized, its like the opposite of an AR-15. The barrels are either 1-piece with the receiver or not designed to be removed. But my PX4 has a serial # on any part they could fit it.

If you;re talking about a Ruger, they are not any such thing..it's a press-fit

In general if you buy a tac-sol, a volquartsen or a Pac-Lite replacement you're not buying the barrel or even "barrel and slide" like you would with another handgun, the upper is serialized was my point whereas with most other firearms the lower is serialized.  Perhaps I shouldabeenmoreclear.

So, I am still not clear. When there are multiple serialized parts on a firearm, is there a certain order of preference that decides which ONE of those should need P2Ps in NJ ?

The frame or receiver is the part that is a firearm under state and federal law in the US. Most places in Europe the barrel is the serial number. The practice of putting the serial number or part of it on multiple gun parts dates to the late 19th century AFAIK. The reason for this is with many guns certain parts needed to be fitted. Cylinders to revolvers, slides to semi autos, bolts to rifles etc. Soldiers will always find a way to screw things up and mix up parts. Serial numbers were put on parts to avoid this. Someone with a passion for attention to detail (Germans? Swiss?) started putting numbers on everything. Some guns, like Ruby semi auto pistols, this was important. Although they were mass produced, final assembly was hand fitted. The magazine from my Ruby may not work in yours.