ogfarmer

High quality / low cost AR upgrades,

My preferences are formed from a tactical shooting background.

Stocks:

I like the B5 SOPMOD and Bravo stocks a lot. Magpul MOE is nice and light and great for pinning.  I'm a fan of the STR from magpul. If you're doing bench I liked my A2

I also dig the Sully Stock. Got one from a member here and it is nice. It is currently on the rifle I shoot the most.

Grips:

I prefer the BCM and Magpul K grips. The reduced angle makes a big difference for the kind of shooting I do.  K grip was kind of thin for me, but the K2 is supposed to be thicker.  My BCM mod 2 is very comfy for close in shooting.  

VFG:

I like a VFG. I don't grab it with my whole hand, I use or more like a Handstop. I like the Tangodown Stubby and the BCM short vert grip. It sets my hand where I want it to run my lights, and is a great reference point for consistency as well as giving me something to pull agains which helps to control the muzzle under rapid fire.

I just recently tried a LaRue Handstop on a slim handguard (Troy Alpha) instead of a VFG. I reeeeaaaallly like it.

Magpul vfg is great on a budget imo.  I want to use the bcm shortie next but $35 is a little steep.  

Parts:

Geissele triggers are the way to go - especially the SSA - but expensive. The ALG ACT is decent alternative at 1/3 the price - but it is not as nice as the SSA.  Yup.

As stated earlier the BCM Gunfighter Charging Handle Mod 4(medium) is mandatory on all my rifles. The large is nice for manipulations but get hung up or pokes me in the chest when sling. The small is nice but I prefer little more "meat" on the latch for the way I manipulate the handle (edge of my support hand).  I liked my mod 4, but I REALLY like my raptor  Its a bit more expensive though. 

I have really been digging the B.A.D ASS selector with the short selector on the right side. Very smooth and I like manipulating the safety with my trigger finger.  My next small upgrade purchase.  Heard great things  

I also like B.A.D.'s takedown pins. I was having an issue with a standard pin from a LPK I had (DPMS) so I replaced it with the BAD pin. Very nice kit.  I've never had an issue with takedown pins so I've never thought about changing them. 

I had a lower (Stag) that had a slightly oversized mag catch cutout. It kept sticking the catch because there was room for it to tilt when pressed. I got an Odinworks mag catch to see if that helped. It's nice and it solved the issue. Don't know info would buy more for other rifles but I don't dislike it.  Same as above

I like the Magpul BAD. It is fast on reloads, makes locking the bolt back easy and intuitive and helps when doing malfunction clearing. I have one on all my rifles.  Tried it, didnt like it.  Probably didnt train enough with it. 

Rear sling mounts:

The Magpul ASAP and Tangodown PR4 are my preferences. I have had good success with the MI and Troy versions of the PR4 as well (they are also much cheaper)  Got a PR4 and it works perfectly as advertised.  I will be trying out the endplate with the built in qd socket to keep weight and cost down. 

Front sling mount:

I like the sling pretty close to the receiver. I'm not too picky and use whatever works for the sling attachment and handguard type.  Same.  As long as its a good name it will work . 

Optics:

Aimpoint.  Heresy to HE but I like eotech.  That said my next purchase will be an aimpoint pro or T1/H1

Lights:

I like my lights mounted at 11:00 on the handguard. Lights need to be single brightness/single function and with a constant on mode. I prefer "clicky" style switches.

I mostly have Surefire lights and I prefer 500L or more (I like 1000L but the P3X is expensive). 200L is the bare minimum for my needs.

I recently got a WMLX and I am liking it a lot.

I like the Surefire Fury, and I have a streamlight protac hl which has done well for me.  I have to say the surefire does feel a little more sturdy.  I would give the wmlx a chance but I'm not sold on it.

As for light mounts te VTAC is a great low cost mount. I also have 2 IWC mounts that direct attach to the Troy handguards. Nice but expensive for a job the VTAC could do just fine.

Mounts really depend on the handguard and where you're gonna mount it.  The VTAC had done fine for me but I feel like I never get it tight enough.   I've used magpul and gg&g mounts with success as well.

You are free to use anything I have OG.  I'm still in the process of building my spr so im still learning in that area.