1LtCAP

67gto

and other shop owners.

it's getting near time for me to either update my MODIS, which i know snapon is trying to phase out, or to upgrade to a better scanner.

right now, i have/use three. i've got the snap on modis, matco determinator(essentially an otc), and a launch. each one has its own advantages/disadvantages.

what i've been thinking about, is a pc or laptop based scanner. i've been told of one(guy doesn't know the name of it though) that you have your obd2 dlc connector, which talks to the program on your laptop via bluetooth. if you need diag info, you log into their site, and rent the info. he said he thinks it's for 48 hours.

anyway.....what do you guys use as far as scanners? any of you know more about the laptop based scanners? or have any suggestions?

thanks guys!

and other shop owners.

it's getting near time for me to either update my MODIS, which i know snapon is trying to phase out, or to upgrade to a better scanner.

right now, i have/use three. i've got the snap on modis, matco determinator(essentially an otc), and a launch. each one has its own advantages/disadvantages.

what i've been thinking about, is a pc or laptop based scanner. i've been told of one(guy doesn't know the name of it though) that you have your obd2 dlc connector, which talks to the program on your laptop via bluetooth. if you need diag info, you log into their site, and rent the info. he said he thinks it's for 48 hours.

anyway.....what do you guys use as far as scanners? any of you know more about the laptop based scanners? or have any suggestions?

thanks guys!

We are making the switch from MODIS to VERDUS (I think that's what it's called) which is leaps and bounds better from what I've used and talked with other guys using it. In the past I also used Launch which was great but clunky. OTC has always put out a decent diagnostic tool also.

I've been using Verus Pro for three years. Night and day better than my Modis.  It is a windows XP based tablet.  I bought a HP 24" docking monitor to use when in the shop. I am pretty satisfied and only wish they would sell the software for use on a better platform. I also use it as a terminal in the shop for the web and Alldata.

the verus was one that was mentioned to me by a friend that runs the shop i worked at back in the 80/90's. he's got one there, and loves it. i'm going across the street tomorrow to talk to that shops snap on dude and check it out. i hear rumors it's stupidly expensive though(mine decided that i'm not worth stopping at anymore....probably 'cause i don't buy every single week...and i will not call him to spend money with him).