Kevin125

2013 Bill A4278/ S2721 - Definition of Reasonable Deviation

Back in 2013 and I think into 2014 a bill floated around that apparently wasn't passed or maybe wasn't signed into law. It's summary said it clarified reasonable deviation during transport to include picking up or dropping off people, fuel stop, bathroom stop, food stop, and other emergencies. Seems like it ended up with a target of 15 minutes per deviation as best I can tell.

Odd thing to me was that Loretta Lynch  Weinberg voted for it and a number of R's voted against it. I looked it over and other than the 15 minute bs it seemed to be better than the current law.

Anyone recall this?

Maybe it was part of a larger FU to the 2A package ?

Ok, never mind. Saw the discussion from 2014 in the Pending Legislation forum. Search on the bill I saw came up empty.

It's not Loretta lynch, she's our new federal AG. You're thinking of Loretta Wineberg. "Our friend".... aka Mrs. Hot Mike "Confiscate confiscate confiscate"!

And yeah their version of the amendment to reasonable deviations was bull, their version was worse than not having any definition at all. The ANJRPC rejected their amendment and urged them to change the wording which they did not.

I thought there was some proposal for "reasonable deviations" in exchange for 10 round mag limit?

Yeah that was the deal the Dems presented. Except their version of reasonable deviations was not what we had in mind. Would have actually made the law worse and removed any discretion from a judge at all.

I'm happier with the law the way it is (yeah it shouldn't be the but it is). If they define reasonable deviation and you're caught outside of the definition you're screwed. Now you're subject to what the cops, prosecutor, judge, and jury think a reasonable deviation.

I can't see how many on this forum feel bathroom stops, gas, or even food don't qualify as reasonable deviation. Can any one show a case where someone was arrested because the cop didn't feel it was a reasonable deviation? I've lived in NJ a long time and I can't think of one.

I can't see how many on this forum feel bathroom stops, gas, or even food don't qualify as reasonable deviation. 

the question isn't what we feel a reasonable deviation is.  to me, going to work for the day, visiting relatives for a few hours, shopping at the mall.  putting your stuff in the car on monday when you plan to go to the range on saturday.  they are all reasonable deviations to me.  but what do we think that the judge, jury, and executioners will think

if you've made a deviation, in theory, no one should even ever know you've got your guns.

In theory. But what happens if you get rear ended and the trunk pops open.  Or if you get a flat tire and as you are changing it a cop pulls up behind and sees the gun case in the open trunk.

Just last night I gave a class and one of the students expressed his frustration in that being in sales he was driving around the area all day but had to drive an hour home to get his gun and then an hour back to the range.  In a free state he could have just kept the gun in the car all day.  In NJ there is no way you can call doing that a reasonable deviation - not with our left-wing anti government.

In theory. But what happens if you get rear ended and the trunk pops open.  Or if you get a flat tire and as you are changing it a cop pulls up behind and sees the gun case in the open trunk.

Just last night I gave a class and one of the students expressed his frustration in that being in sales he was driving around the area all day but had to drive an hour home to get his gun and then an hour back to the range.  In a free state he could have just kept the gun in the car all day.  In NJ there is no way you can call doing that a reasonable deviation - not with our left-wing anti government.

Problem is interpretation.  I see stopping at work for 8-9 hours on my way to the range as a reasonable deviation--got to pay for the range and consumables--but I doubt the law would see it that way.

Good reason to keep everything in the trunk cased in generic bags; and, if you stop for a flat, keep the trunk closed whenever possible.