Sign in to follow this  
1LtCAP

Question for fellow shop owners

hey guys. i just heard through a newer customer that a shop about a half mile from me is closing. the guy has a good rep. he's planning on an end of year close from what i hear.

the question..........would i be out of place calling this shop, and asking him if he'd mind referring some of his customers my way? when his closing time gets closer of course.  i've dealt with this guy on the phone a few times, but never really stopped in his shop. he's a decent guy, that i know doesn't bullshit his customers, or rip them off......and i could(as most of us could) use the extra work.

i know it seems like a stupid question.....but what the hell, right?

There's always a lot of competition between businesses but if he's closing I would definitely go see him. Maybe call and make an appointment with him and talk about it. If he respects you as much as you appear to respect his business, he should have no trouble referring some customers. Keep it friendly and if he makes some kind of an excuse, I'd just drop it, thank him, and go on your way.

I have advised business owners in transition in the past. I would suggest you propose a formal referral arrangement whereby you agree to pay him a referral fee of x% of all business referred, say up to one year. This give him an incentive to refer business, he feels like he is getting something back from all the goodwill he has built up and he is providing a service to his loyal customers.

If he agrees, you might even propose he send out a mailing (which you would pay for) to his customers endorsing your shop. Obviously, he needs to both trust you to provide a fair accounting of what business was a result of his referral and have faith in you to take care of his past customers.

Good luck with it. The worst he can say is “no thank you”.

hey guys. i just heard through a newer customer that a shop about a half mile from me is closing. the guy has a good rep. he's planning on an end of year close from what i hear.

the question..........would i be out of place calling this shop, and asking him if he'd mind referring some of his customers my way? when his closing time gets closer of course. i've dealt with this guy on the phone a few times, but never really stopped in his shop. he's a decent guy, that i know doesn't bullshit his customers, or rip them off......and i could(as most of us could) use the extra work.

i know it seems like a stupid question.....but what the hell, right?

I had a competitive business near me close up shop, when that happened I called the owner and bought his phone number cheap. That's pretty much all you need...

I had a competitive business near me close up shop, when that happened I called the owner and bought his phone number cheap. That's pretty much all you need...

huh? from him, or from the phone comp[any? i hadn't ever heard of that?

huh? from him, or from the phone comp[any? i hadn't ever heard of that?

Paid him for it, we called the phone company and transferred his number to my business name, phone company came to my office and added it as second line to my box. You could wait for him to close shop then try getting his number directly from the phone company free. But I didn't want to take that chance, that someone else got it before me. It paid for itself in a week. I instantly added about 500 customers for a one time fee of $1K cash. We'll worth the money.

Paid him for it, we called the phone company and transferred his number to my business name, phone company came to my office and added it as second line to my box. You could wait for him to close shop then try getting his number directly from the phone company free. But I didn't want to take that chance, that someone else got it before me. It paid for itself in a week. I instantly added about 500 customers for a one time fee of $1K cash. We'll worth the money.

now THAT is something i like the idea of. gonna hafta talk to him about that.

my other concern.....is if he didn't want anyone knowing yet, and this person wasn't supposed to say anything. i get along with everyone in the area. within 1.5 miles, there's at least 5 repair shops. 4 of us all help each other out with knowledge, tools, extra hands, etc.........i don't wanna set this guy off, altough i may call tomorrow to talkj to him now......

guinness-brilliant.jpg

Posted Image

Lol well if you ever happen to bump into my parents, tell them the $85K they shelled out for my 4 years of college to eventually decide "I want to be a plumber", wasn't a total waste. Hahha. They seem to think it was a really expensive 4 year party:lol:

oh well. was worth a shot. i called the shop owner this morning. talked for a bit, then asked him. he's not going anywhere. his words were "i'm about 30 years from even thinking of retiring, unless someone offers me millions, lol".

it's ok though, 'cause like i said....he's a good dude, and has decent mechanics working for him too..

oh well. was worth a shot. i called the shop owner this morning. talked for a bit, then asked him. he's not going anywhere. his words were "i'm about 30 years from even thinking of retiring, unless someone offers me millions, lol".

it's ok though, 'cause like i said....he's a good dude, and has decent mechanics working for him too..

Definitely worth a try. But good to hear of a NJ business staying a-float.