Sign in to follow this  
1LtCAP

ME262 Schwalbe

Sexy plane...

when you think about it, it is pretty damned amazing just how advanced that aircraft was. if youknowwho hadn't insisted it be used primarily as a bomber to begin with, and entered it into service in 42 or 43, it would've drastically changed things. most of our earlier jet technology came right from that aircraft. and yes.......it is a gorgeous aircraft, although i'm pretty certain that many a bomber crew never wantedt o see it.

when you think about it, it is pretty damned amazing just how advanced that aircraft was. if youknowwho hadn't insisted it be used primarily as a bomber to begin with, and entered it into service in 42 or 43, it would've drastically changed things. most of our earlier jet technology came right from that aircraft. and yes.......it is a gorgeous aircraft, although i'm pretty certain that many a bomber crew never wantedt o see it.

Yes, but it had it's weaknesses. Mainly those extremely unreliable Junkers Jumo engines that had to be changed after one or two flights. Between the materials used and the quality control at the factory (think slave labor) were a big reason so many of them sat on the ground when they were needed in the air. I was reading in Air Classics a few months ago that someone had an original airframe and that they were building exact copies of the Jumos using modern materials. It should be interesting to see how they work out. Thanks for the videos, it looks like the replicas turned out great working airplanes

Yes, but it had it's weaknesses. Mainly those extremely unreliable Junkers Jumo engines that had to be changed after one or two flights. Between the materials used and the quality control at the factory (think slave labor) were a big reason so many of them sat on the ground when they were needed in the air. I was reading in Air Classics a few months ago that someone had an original airframe and that they were building exact copies of the Jumos using modern materials. It should be interesting to see how they work out. Thanks for the videos, it looks like the replicas turned out great working airplanes

yea....i think they just didn't have the materials needed to keep building those engines. i'd read that changing one was less than half the time to r&r a rolls royce merlin in a mustang. they'd made it crazy easy to do that.

did you know the original design that this was a tail dragger?

yea....i think they just didn't have the materials needed to keep building those engines. i'd read that changing one was less than half the time to r&r a rolls royce merlin in a mustang. they'd made it crazy easy to do that.

did you know the original design that this was a tail dragger?

I do remember seeing the video clips that were from about 1940/41 when they came out with the prototype. My favorite intriguing ones are the Japanese copies that were made near the end of the war. I'm sure we could talk for hours about all the one off or too little/too late designs those Germans came out with, but we'd probably run out of bandwidth. I don't think any one even thought to develop a lot of the materials we use today. Doing a lot of stuff on a jet is easier and quicker than any recip engined aircraft, they last a hell of a lot longer, so that's believable an engine change was less time.