Sign in to follow this  
Sig226GuyNJ

Nassau County Long Island allows you to conceal carry on your way to and from range

I know this is NJ forums, but I have to ask, am I reading this right? I have a buddy who lives in Nassau County, and he told me it's legal for him to conceal carry a pistol to and from the range. He also said it's legal for him to stop for gas, food, and beverages if traveling to or from the range. Also said that he can conceal carry his pistol into the establishment in the above instances. I didn't believe him, so he sent me this. Am I reading this right? This is really legal in Nassau County? You can find info starting at page 14.

http://www.pdcn.org/formPDF.aspx?formid=26

I know this is NJ forums, but I have to ask, am I reading this right? I have a buddy who lives in Nassau County, and he told me it's legal for him to conceal carry a pistol to and from the range. He also said it's legal for him to stop for gas, food, and beverages if traveling to or from the range. Also said that he can conceal carry his pistol into the establishment in the above instances. I didn't believe him, so he sent me this. Am I reading this right? This is really legal in Nassau County? You can find info starting at page 14.

Oh really? Why don't you cut and paste the relevant invisible passage. 

Does your buddy have a carry permit??

I have a NY permit and yes it's legal everywhere but the five boroughs. You can carry stop for gas or food just like in America. On the other hand you can only have 10 round magazines and your AR can't have a pistol grip so there are trade off's. 

No.

All NY state permits are carry permits except if it says premises only. Some judges will place restrictions on a permit sportsman, hiking, fishing. hunting, target shooting but these have no rule of law. They are administrative only. You can not be charged with a crime for carrying outside your restrictions but if you are reported to the judge that issued your permit they can revoke it.

B. TYPES OF PISTOL LICENSES

1. Target/Hunting License a. Restricts licensee to possess a firearm in the following circumstances only:

i. within his or her home for the purpose of home protection;

ii. while actively engaged in lawful target shooting; or

iii. while actively engaged in lawful hunting.

Note: A Target/Hunting licensee may also take his or her licensed firearm(s) to and from a licensed firearms dealer, without unreasonable delay, for the limited purpose of conducting transactions or repairs.

Note: For the purpose of hunting, possession of a valid NYS hunting license is required and must be presented to the NCPD Pistol License Section. The licensee must comply with all applicable hunting rules and regulations (applicants are directed to see the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation website at http://www.dec.ny.gov/permits/6094.html).

b. When carrying a firearm in the above-listed circumstances, the firearm must be carried concealed except while actively engaged in lawful target shooting or lawful hunting.

c. Firearms may only be transported between the licensee’s residence and a lawful target shooting location and/or a lawful hunting area located within the State of New York (also see “Traveling Through New York City (Five Boroughs)” at Chapter 2, Section B of this Handbook).

Note: When traveling to/from a lawful target shooting location or lawful hunting location, only one (1) loaded firearm may be carried concealed on the licensee’s person. All other firearms must be appropriately secured for travel (see terms and definitions).

d. Licensees are authorized to stop only for fuel, nonalcoholic refreshments and/or a meal on the way to and from their lawful target shooting location or hunting area. Licensees are authorized to do this only during the period between leaving their residence and arriving at the lawful shooting/hunting destination or during the return trip. A licensee is not authorized to take his or her firearm to any establishment used primarily for alcohol consumption. A licensee is not authorized to conduct any other non-target shooting or hunting activity while in possession of his or her firearm. In the event a licensee does break for fuel, a refreshment or a meal, he or she is responsible for the concealment and safeguarding of the firearm.

e. A Target/Hunting licensee must bring his or her license and/or firearms to the NCPD Pistol License Section when requested to do so. All firearms must be appropriately secured for travel (see terms and definitions)

@Budasac - the way I read this, you are incorrect and the OP has it right. The red emphasis is mine.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Then no, he can't. The passage your reading refers to "civilian full carry permit holders" traveling through the 5 boroughs.

I initially thought the same as you. However, I am reading it the same way Pizza Bob is. Even though he does not have a carry permit, the permit that he does have, which is the "Target Shooting/Hunting" permit, permits him to conceal carry on his way to and from range, while even allowing him to make stops to use the restroom, or get something to eat and drink. I didn't believe it either.

B. TYPES OF PISTOL LICENSES

1. Target/Hunting License a. Restricts licensee to possess a firearm in the following circumstances only:

i. within his or her home for the purpose of home protection;

ii. while actively engaged in lawful target shooting; or

iii. while actively engaged in lawful hunting.

Note: A Target/Hunting licensee may also take his or her licensed firearm(s) to and from a licensed firearms dealer, without unreasonable delay, for the limited purpose of conducting transactions or repairs.

Note: For the purpose of hunting, possession of a valid NYS hunting license is required and must be presented to the NCPD Pistol License Section. The licensee must comply with all applicable hunting rules and regulations (applicants are directed to see the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation website at http://www.dec.ny.gov/permits/6094.html).

b. When carrying a firearm in the above-listed circumstances, the firearm must be carried concealed except while actively engaged in lawful target shooting or lawful hunting.

c. Firearms may only be transported between the licensee’s residence and a lawful target shooting location and/or a lawful hunting area located within the State of New York (also see “Traveling Through New York City (Five Boroughs)” at Chapter 2, Section B of this Handbook).

Note: When traveling to/from a lawful target shooting location or lawful hunting location, only one (1) loaded firearm may be carried concealed on the licensee’s person. All other firearms must be appropriately secured for travel (see terms and definitions).

d. Licensees are authorized to stop only for fuel, nonalcoholic refreshments and/or a meal on the way to and from their lawful target shooting location or hunting area. Licensees are authorized to do this only during the period between leaving their residence and arriving at the lawful shooting/hunting destination or during the return trip. A licensee is not authorized to take his or her firearm to any establishment used primarily for alcohol consumption. A licensee is not authorized to conduct any other non-target shooting or hunting activity while in possession of his or her firearm. In the event a licensee does break for fuel, a refreshment or a meal, he or she is responsible for the concealment and safeguarding of the firearm.

e. A Target/Hunting licensee must bring his or her license and/or firearms to the NCPD Pistol License Section when requested to do so. All firearms must be appropriately secured for travel (see terms and definitions)

@Budasac - the way I read this, you are incorrect and the OP has it right. The red emphasis is mine.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I initially thought the same as you. However, I am reading it the same way Pizza Bob is. Even though he does not have a carry permit, the permit that he does have, which is the "Target Shooting/Hunting" permit, permits him to conceal carry on his way to and from range, while even allowing him to make stops to use the restroom, or get something to eat and drink. I didn't believe it either.

Yep I agree. I initially went to "page 14" as you referred to and that section discusses "full carry permits". I didn't read the other section that Bob pasted until now.

All NY state permits are carry permits except if it says premises only. Some judges will place restrictions on a permit sportsman, hiking, fishing. hunting, target shooting but these have no rule of law. They are administrative only. You can not be charged with a crime for carrying outside your restrictions but if you are reported to the judge that issued your permit they can revoke it.

Really, because page 14 discusses "full carry permits" and states that you need to show "proper cause", which doesn't appear easy to prove.

I see you edited without apologizing because p. 14 and following don't really have anything to do with carrying without a carry license, which your original post implied. If you meant your friend has a license and can carry to the range well, DUH. You can even do that in New York City if you have the right piece of paper.

Really, because page 14 discusses "full carry permits" and states that you need to show "proper cause", which doesn't appear easy to prove.

I was following a NY gun forum for a while It appears the standard entry for proper cause is "for all legal purposes." It seemed to work.

Then no, he can't. The passage your reading refers to "civilian full carry permit holders" traveling through the 5 boroughs.

Exactly the same thing that I saw, the same thing that I didn't see. That's why I asked him to cut/paste.

I see you edited without apologizing because p. 14 and following don't really have anything to do with carrying without a carry license, which your original post implied. If you meant your friend has a license and can carry to the range well, DUH. You can even do that in New York City if you have the right piece of paper.

Apologize for what? Asking if you were that lazy you can't type in 14 in a little box? I don't know what the hell you are seeing, but when I type in page 14, it brings me exactly to what I'm referring to.

I see where the confusion is. Type 14 up top where it allows you to skip pages. For some reason, on the actual document, it's page 7. The 14 I was referring to was typing that number in the box up top that allows you to skip pages. Type 14, then hit enter.

I went to page f-ing 14. Christ on a crutch. I've been using PDFs since the Reagan presidency. I skimmed the next 30 pages. They don't say anything about non-licensed people carrying to the range or anywhere. My eyesight sucks so I asked you to cut/paste. 

I still ask you: cut/paste the passages you believe allow a non-licensed NY resident to carry a handgun around on his person. Or STFU.

Brucin is correct. This came up in a separate thread yesterday when somebody asked about bringing guns to NY.

Whatever restrictions the judge puts on your NY permit, you cannot face charges for carrying concealed in violation of those restrictions (outside of NYC I assume). Almost anybody that owns a handgun in NY can carry it without fear of prosecution. And probably a good number of them have unrestricted licenses anyway.

Oh, and to avoid confusion, don't bring handguns to NY.

I went to page f-ing 14. Christ on a crutch. I've been using PDFs since the Reagan presidency. I skimmed the next 30 pages. They don't say anything about non-licensed people carrying to the range or anywhere. My eyesight sucks so I asked you to cut/paste. 

I still ask you: cut/paste the passages you believe allow a non-licensed NY resident to carry a handgun around on his person. Or STFU.

Dude, why the anger and hostility? Relax man, you'll live longer. Pizza Bob already graciously copy and pasted.

Dude, why the anger and hostility? Relax man, you'll live longer. Pizza Bob already graciously copy and pasted.

First of all stop the passive-aggressive crap. I did not call you names as you did me.

Second, Pizza Bob cut/paste the info for LICENSES. LICENCES to individuals who are LICENSED. I read that stuff and saw nothing about someone with a NJ-style permit to own a gun vs. someone who is LICENSED to carry. Your friend is not LICENSED in NY to carry. You said so yourself. 

I think by now I am fully righteous, within my rights, and in proper order in asking you to: Please cut/paste the passages, regarding individuals who do not have a carry license to carry, that caused you to post this stupid topic. Or STFU.

First of all stop the passive-aggressive crap. I did not call you names as you did me.

Second, Pizza Bob cut/paste the info for LICENSES. LICENCES to individuals who are LICENSED. I read that stuff and saw nothing about someone with a NJ-style permit to own a gun vs. someone who is LICENSED to carry. Your friend is not LICENSED in NY to carry. You said so yourself. 

I think by now I am fully righteous, within my rights, and in proper order in asking you to: Please cut/paste the passages, regarding individuals who do not have a carry license to carry, that caused you to post this stupid topic. Or STFU.

Seriously dude, you've got anger issues man. I'm not trying to be passive aggressive, I'm just calling it like I see it. I didn't call you any names, so I don't know where you got that from. As for the rest of your post, I don't even know how to respond to that. If you can't bother to fully read the section I'm referring to, which Bob Copied and Pasted here, there's not much more I can try to explain to you. I'm sorry you feel the topic I posted was stupid. I guess we have different definitions for the word stupid...

Christ on a crutch. I've been using PDFs since the Reagan presidency.

Uh, no.

Reagan presidency: 1981 to 1989

Adobe first makes .pdf's available: 1993

Fight nicely boys - now kiss and make up. We're family.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

There seems to be some confusion here, working in paramus i work with many upstate NY residents who own firearms and have seen a NY(nyc excluded) pistol licence. Like NJ, NY requires a licence to pirchase a pistol (similar to FPID without the need of a PPP), the minimum license required is the target and hunting licence. This is the same license that is referenced in the passage Bob pasted. So yes, without a license you can't carry, but you can't purchase either.

Sent from my LG-G4 using Tapatalk

My permit says sportsman on the back and I also received a letter from the judge with the following "Hunting is defined to include hunting,

fishing, camping and hiking when allowed by law". My residence upstate is called a "camp" when I walk any where I'm on a "hike".
When my wife received her permit the judge told her to carry even if she goes across the street to pick berries.

I'm sure the judge may frown upon carrying in Wal Mart or the supermarket but not much else.

Seriously dude, you've got anger issues man. I'm not trying to be passive aggressive, I'm just calling it like I see it. I didn't call you any names, so I don't know where you got that from. As for the rest of your post, I don't even know how to respond to that. If you can't bother to fully read the section I'm referring to, which Bob Copied and Pasted here, there's not much more I can try to explain to you. I'm sorry you feel the topic I posted was stupid. I guess we have different definitions for the word stupid...

I see I have a New Best Friend in these forums.

You originally asked if I was too lazy to scroll down to p. 14, then you deleted the body of that post. Tsk tsk. Nixon had his 18 minutes, Hillary has her 30,000 emails, and you have the post that miraculously disappeared.

I never said your topic was stupid. It was a good question, one that interests me a great deal and about which I've posted, if only obliquely. Unfortunately p.14 and what followed had nothing to do with the circumstances you posted about, namely someone carrying in NY without a carry license. No mention at all of carrying to a range, or carrying to some other allowed (in NJ "exempted") location. So I asked you to cut/paste what made you believe this was legal and I get a shit shower in return.

This was the post in which you called me lazy for not seeing what wasn't there, whose content you deleted, or I should say reduced to one small punctuation mark. Better delete that too, or change it to a semicolon at least, which is more interesting to read.