Sign in to follow this  
TXGunOwner

Help: Live in Texas and want to give my father one of firearms.

Hello, NJ born, left in 2012. Question: my father just started the permit process and I wanted to either give him my CM9 or SR40c. I assume family relation means nothing so outside my father getting his permit and me doing an FFL to FFL transfer what would need to be done? What barriers, if any, may we encounter? He lives in Union County, what the friendliest 2a shop? The Kahr is 8 rounds, can you guys have extended magazines 17 rounds in NJ?

Thank you in advance for your time,

TXGunOwner

15 round mags max. Federal law requires FFL transfer in NJ after dad gets his permit to purchase.   A Texas FFL to NJ FFL transfer would be the best way to handle it.  I'm not near Union County, so hopefully someone else can chime in and provide you a local FFL for Dad.

The limit is 15 rounds.

Transferwise, you'd have to ship it to an FFL in NJ and your father would need an FID card, a pistol permit and then go through the NICS check. 

Another option would be if your father flies down to Texas and you transfer it to him there (which is legal in Texas).  It's now his gun so he could fly back to NJ with it (following all the TSA and transportation laws).  He would not need a pistol permit this way since the transfer happened oustide NJ.

The limit is 15 rounds.

Transferwise, you'd have to ship it to an FFL in NJ and your father would need an FID card, a pistol permit and then go through the NICS check. 

Another option would be if your father flies down to Texas and you transfer it to him there (which is legal in Texas).  It's now his gun so he could fly back to NJ with it (following all the TSA and transportation laws).  He would not need a pistol permit this way since the transfer happened oustide NJ.

Uh...no. If his father is a NJ resident the only place he can take possession of a handgun is in NJ. Him just getting the gun in TX would violate TX and federal law.

He should only need the Handgun Purchase Permit not the FPID but it's just another check box to get the FPID so he probably should get it in case he ever wants to purchase a long gun.

Also the Firearms ID is required to purchase handgun ammo.  Definitely get the FID as well as the P2P... actually several P2P - at least 3 :)

Yes, he's 69 and the last thing I want is for him to spend the next couple of years of his life in an NJ State prison after arriving to Newark Airport due to not following the laws.

Not sure why he wants one now, probably because of the California incident. He is good friend with the Captain of his police department so this process could even more difficult if it wasn't for that.

Appreciate the feedback and quick response all. Very helpful. I will tell him to check out this thread and join the board,

I think I will encourage him to move forward with the process and then connect with Tier 1 Defense in Mountainside once he gets the go ahead to buy a handgun.

From there we could do an FFL to FFL transfer.I'll make sure I don't send him any magazines over 15 rounds. I guess sending him ammo, especially hollow points is out of the question :)