Teky0101

Handgun Permit Process

Hello Everyone,

I am looking to obtain a handgun purchase permit and since I have not purchased a handgun in a while and I was wondering if anyone could go through the steps required to obtain the permit? I already have the FID card and all I am needing to do is go through the handgun permit application process. I remember something about a mental health check form, money order for the police and I believe another form. I also think the process has changed over the years and something has to be paid for online now? Can anyone clarify this process for me I would appreciate it? Thank you for your time.

You need to fill out:

NJ STS 033 Form (application for Handgun Purchase permit)

http://www.njsp.org/firearms/pdf/sts-033.pdf

SP 066 form (Consent for Mental Health records search) - Note, this can be filled out ahead of time, but should be signed when dropped off so they can witness it

http://www.njsp.org/firearms/pdf/sp-066.pdf

Now....  the background check USED to be that you needed to fill out the Yellow Form and give them an $18 certified check or MO for the state police..   However, most towns have done away with that and you can now do your records check online.. 

https://www.njportal.com/njsp/criminalrecords/

However, you must know your ORI code (Originating Agency Identifier).  This can be found here:  http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/omb/forms/pdf/municodes.pdf

The code to use is NJ0xxxx00 (the "xxxx" is your 4 digit municipal code from the list above).  You pay $20 for this service, payable by credit/debit card, and the results will be sent back directly to your township. It’s best to do this after you drop off your application/mental health forms. 

Its also best to call the town and make sure that is all they require (some towns like to "add stuff in" even though they aren't supposed to).  They “may” also not actually use the online records check even though most do..  Good to double check..

Hello DSD1026,

Thank you very much for the help! I plan on filling out these forms today and submitting my permit tomorrow. I hope you have a wonderful day.

One other thing...How long has it been since you got your last set of P2Ps?  Depending on that length of time, your municipality may require you to be re-fingerprinted, in which case you would not do the On-line SB212a form for $20.00, but you'd have to go get the prints done by an external print service (I believe it's now IdentToGO, formerly Sarafan MorphoTrak). This can cost up to $60.00.   Also, your municipality will require reference letters from two individuals not living with you.  Depending on the municipality, either they will send them out, or get you to do it. This is all that *should* be required of you. However, some municipalities may require more than that. If they do, you should report the excess requirements to Operation StrikeForce at ANJRPC. Also, if you're told it will take longer than 30 days for a response (and it actually does), report them as well.

Thank you again for the help. I am curious why I would need to have my fingerprints redone? Years ago when my township took my finger prints they were digital so they should still have them on file. I filled out most of the paperwork you recommended but I am still unclear ORI number. I will try to call the township tomorrow to find out about this portion of the background check. Thank You!

Thank you again for the help. I am curious why I would need to have my fingerprints redone? Years ago when my township took my finger prints they were digital so they should still have them on file. I filled out most of the paperwork you recommended but I am still unclear ORI number. I will try to call the township tomorrow to find out about this portion of the background check. Thank You!

Dont let HB make a mountain out of a mole hill ...... Just follow what DSD said.... 

Follow what DSD said...click that link which opens a pdf, find where you live and the 4 digit code next to it...DSD gave you the format, just replace the X's with your municipality's  4 digit code.

I submitted the background check tonight. Do you know how long it takes to obtain the results? Will they email me or will the township contact me back?

So you did this without 1st speaking to you PD? I sure hope they use the online format. 

I don't know about other counties but here in Middlesex county the fingerprint requirement is 5 years of inactivity as in if you get at least 1 P2P in 5 years then they don't need another set of prints -- If you wait 5 years and 1 day then you are getting your prints done again -- my local PD follows the county decision on this

I believe the way the statute is written fingerprints are at the discretion of the municipality -- the state doesn't need them again but they leave the window open for the chief of police to require them if so desired without needing a reason

So you did this without 1st speaking to you PD? I sure hope they use the online format. 

I don't know about other counties but here in Middlesex county the fingerprint requirement is 5 years of inactivity as in if you get at least 1 P2P in 5 years then they don't need another set of prints -- If you wait 5 years and 1 day then you are getting your prints done again -- my local PD follows the county decision on this

I believe the way the statute is written fingerprints are at the discretion of the municipality -- the state doesn't need them again but they leave the window open for the chief of police to require them if so desired without needing a reason

I could be wrong but what they are doing sounds illegal. You already have the FID card.

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for the help. I put in the paperwork today and the clerk said it will take about a month to get back. She had mentioned that they were really starting to get a lot of applications. I assume this is due to the Obama's new laws.

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for the help. I put in the paperwork today and the clerk said it will take about a month to get back. She had mentioned that they were really starting to get a lot of applications. I assume this is due to the Obama's new laws.

If you ask her, she will sing that same song every day of her job. Standard response.