Hello Everyone,

I was thinking about purchasing a Glock 23 Gen 4 police trade in with night sights. The firearms was a excellent deal and seem to be in very good condition. I was wondering if anyone has experience with this firearm? Is it accurate and reliable? I will be using it primarily for target shooting and possibly home defense. I might also try the firearm in the future in competition just for fun. Any advice on this pistol would be greatly appreciated.

It's a Glock. It is a affordable, and will go bang when you need it to.

I think that the G23/19 is the perfect sized handgun. Big enough to be a good defensive/fighting gun and small enough to carry all the time relatively easily and comfortably.

The nice thing about the G23 is you can buy a 9mm conversion barrel and some 9mm mags and shoot both .40 and 9mm. (You can't buy the 9mm and shoot .40).

I believe that if you are only going to own one Glock, the G23 is the right one to own.

Since it is a police trade in you should replace a few small parts to ensure reliability. You don't know how much (or how little) it was shot:

Recoil spring assembly

Trigger spring

Striker spring

Firing pin safety plunger spring

Magazine springs

The above parts should cost less than $25 from Midway or Brownells and you can find plenty of YouTube videos that will show you how to replace them.

Good advice above about swapping out some minor parts

. I have a G23, and while it is a very good compromise between size, capacity and power; it is too snappy for me to play the role of a target or range gun.

Good advice above about swapping out some minor parts

. I have a G23, and while it is a very good compromise between size, capacity and power; it is too snappy for me to play the role of a target or range gun.

A 9mm conversion will make it a little more enjoyable to shoot but it's still not much of a "target" gun. Mine is my night stand gun because I know it will always go "Boom" but it's certainly not my first choice if I'm looking to hit the 10 ring from 25 yards.

Great gun for versatility.  You can get 357 barrel and 9mm barrels for it.  You can also pick up Glock 22 full-size 15-round magazines for it as well (say as a night stand gun).  I have never had a misfire with 9mm conversion barrel and 9mm magazines.  Works also nicely with Advantage Arms 22 conversion for maximum versatility. 

Glock stock is a very good barrel. Glock barrels prefer copper bullets due to type of rifling. I have an aftermarket for lead.  For conversion, I use the Lone Wolf, works fine. I would not worry about grouping.

A little reading.

http://www.guns.com/review/2015/09/14/dueling-barrels-the-best-glock-conversion-barrels/

I like KKM barrels. They are the best drop in barrels I have used.

BarSto makes good barrels, but they have to fit the barrel to the gun - so you have to send your pistol to them. They are also $$ - probably 1/2 to 2/3 of what you are likely paying for the gun alone.

Make sure you get a "conversion" barrel and NOT a stock/standard/OEM 9mm barrel. The conversion barrel keeps the outside diameter of the 9mm barrel the same as it would be for a .40 (looks like a bull barrel) so you get a more consistent lockup between the slide and barrel. Using an OEM or standard 9mm barrel introduces a lot of play into the system.

It's a Glock, not a sniper rifle. The gun is capable of better accuracy than most shooters are, but it's not designed for bullseye shooting. Figure the gun can group better than 2"-3" at 25 yards if you can.

I'm gona chime in with the voice of dissent here even though it won't be the popular opinion.  I have a Gen 4 G23 and a complete Gen 4 G19 slide to go with it so I can shoot both calibers (not that you need the whole slide, I just happened to find one cheap).  Gun goes bang every time for sure, but I find it to be the least enjoyable and (for me) the least accurate of my handguns.

I find the recoil of the 40sw to be worse than other handguns in the same caliber, and even in 9mm for whatever reason I am more accurate and comfortable with almost any other pistol.  This isn't to say that the Glock isn't capable of good groups, but for whatever reason I can't get it to do that.

I can shoot holes in holes with a few handguns, and would suggest at least shooting these before deciding on the glock:

Sig 226/229

CZ75

FNX

Beretta 92/96

HK USP (this one is highly dependent on which trigger you choose)

HK P30 ^

S&W M&P

I have most of these sitting in the safe if you want to meet up for a trial shoot.  I'm not a glock hater I just shoot better with most other guns. 

Thank you everyone for the advice! I am curious which after market barrel did you go with for the conversion? Also is the stock barrel accurate? What types of groups should I expect at 15 and 25 yards?

Stock barrels are pretty good. Drop-in I use is Lone Wolf.