voyager9

New hand guard to add bipod

I have a M&P-15or that I recently put a vertex 3-9 glass on. Now I'm tempted to replace the afg and add a bipod.

The question is whether I should replace the magpul hand guard with a FF one if I want to add a bipod?

Is there a drop-in FF guard that will go on without having to remove the railed gas block? I've heard the DD Omega 7 is good but it seems a little pricy.

i think the main issue is the optics ready has the gas block with the picatinny rail top correct? you are most likely stuck with the shorter 2 piece rails like the daniel defense or the centurion arms

Correct. Also curious of there are non-quad rail options for a FF drop in.

Yes, the M&P15-OR model has the railed gas block so there isn't trimming that guy.

If you're really aiming for precision, you're not going to get it mounting the bipod to the handguard unless it's free floated. Read up on barrel harmonics and barrel flex/whip. If you want to do it right, replace the railed gas block with a low profile gas block and get yourself a true free float handguard. Good thing is that since the OR model is not threaded, you don't have to deal with a pinned muzzle device. You can probably do this all yourself if you get a FF handguard that uses the standard barrel nut.

Yes, the M&P15-OR model has the railed gas block so there isn't trimming that guy.

If you're really aiming for precision, you're not going to get it mounting the bipod to the handguard unless it's free floated. Read up on barrel harmonics and barrel flex/whip. If you want to do it right, replace the railed gas block with a low profile gas block and get yourself a true free float handguard. Good thing is that since the OR model is not threaded, you don't have to deal with a pinned muzzle device. You can probably do this all yourself if you get a FF handguard that uses the standard barrel nut

+1

Thanks for all the replies. I know replacing the gas block is the right thing. I don't know if I have the time,equipment, or skill to to attempt that. Ideally I was looking for drop in free float options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also have the MP15 ORC model, the bull barrel is very thick and only 16" long. I have a Magpul handguard with a short bottom rail attached. Using a bipod it is very accurate out to at least the 100 yards I typically setup my targets at. I am sure a freefloat is better, but you should try it first, as perhaps the non-ideal solution could still be more accurate than you are.

I have a 4-12 AO scope on mine, with the magpul pro canted popup mbus on the gas block rail, it works great to switch from scope to irons with a tilt.