vladtepes

Glock 22 9mm Conversion Checklist

It's not risky at all.

We already covered the why:

Because sometimes you bought a .40 and now you want a 9mm. 

Sometimes you are issued a .40, so you buy your off duty guns in .40. Then your Dept switches to 9mm.

You can convert your .40 Glock pistol to 9mm for less than $250. A G19 used will cost more than that.

Sometimes you want 1 pistol that can shoot multiple calibers.

• Like 1

Generally I stay out of these things.  But because I hate dealing in absolutes (except when people use a Hi-Point for a carry gun) lets test the theory.  

Gun one....Stock 19

Gun two...Converted Glock 23 to a 19

1000 rounds.  Factory magazines.

Post the results.  

1 hour ago, blksheep said:

Generally I stay out of these things.  But because I hate dealing in absolutes (except when people use a Hi-Point for a carry gun) lets test the theory.  

Gun one....Stock 19

Gun two...Converted Glock 23 to a 19

1000 rounds.  Factory magazines.

Post the results.  

I've already done it kinda last week.

Stock G23 thousands of rounds through it, never had a malfunction.

Last week we had the range. I converted it to a 9mm by swapping the barrel and the extractor - not the ejector at first and used Magpul Pmag 15 round G19 mags.

I had zero malfunctions but the brass ejected straight back to 6 o'clock and kept hitting me in the face and eye pro. Unpleasant and distracting.

I installed a 9mm ejector and went back to it. Ejection was perfect. I fired a little over 500 rounds in 3 days without cleaning or lube.

Total malfunctions = zero.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, High Exposure said:

I've already done it kinda last week.

Stock G23 thousands of rounds through it, never had a malfunction.

Last week we had the range. I converted it to a 9mm by swapping the barrel and the extractor - not the ejector at first and used Magpul Pmag 15 round G19 mags.

I had zero malfunctions but the brass ejected straight back to 6 o'clock and kept hitting me in the face and eye pro. Unpleasant and distracting.

I installed a 9mm ejector and went back to it. Ejection was perfect. I fired a little over 500 rounds in 3 days without cleaning or lube.

Total malfunctions = zero.

Boom.  Tested and approved.

Thanks for sharing @High Exposure, and I believe you 100%.

But I would still say that Id go the Glock 19 route and not the conversion route. This way, if there is any issue Glock would cover it.   Instead of the "well, I converted it to 9 yada yada yada."  Because then you have to put it back to its original form, which defeats your purpose. 

So, to me, selling the Glock 22 and magazines and using that money to fund a Glock 19 and sights outweighs spending money on the whole 9mm conversion.

11 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

But I would still say that Id go the Glock 19 route and not the conversion route. This way, if there is any issue Glock would cover it.   Instead of the "well, I converted it to 9 yada yada yada."  Because then you have to put it back to its original form, which defeats your purpose. 

So, to me, selling the Glock 22 and magazines and using that money to fund a Glock 19 and sights outweighs spending money on the whole 9mm conversion.

Now for me, the serial numbers not matching bothers me.  No reason, just does.  I have a 17 frame and 17 MOS slide setup that doesnt match and it bothers me.  Oh well.  

• Like 1

On 6/19/2017 at 5:34 PM, Ray Ray said:

its a glock.. I could run over it.. light it on fire.. and put the flames out with battery acid... and it would still run.. this isn't a 1911 or something.. 

if you would like to buy a Glock 22 and magazines for what I could get the 9mm for... no problem.. let me know what FFL you would like me to ship it to.. LOL 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vladtepes said:

its a glock.. I could run over it.. light it on fire.. and put the flames out with battery acid... and it would still run.. this isn't a 1911 or something.. 

I compete with both...and the Glocks malfunction a LOT more than the 1911's.   Admittedly, I'm comparing some pretty good 1911's, but I'm getting a failure to feed every 2000 to 8000 rounds (depending on the gun, and that's the only failure mode I've seen) with the 1911's.   With the Glocks, I get a round locking up the action so tight it requires serious work to get the slide back, about every 400 rounds.   And that's with ammo that has all been chamber checked.   

So in my hands, the 1911's are 5X to 20X more reliable than the Glocks.

9 minutes ago, 10X said:

I compete with both...and the Glocks malfunction a LOT more than the 1911's.   Admittedly, I'm comparing some pretty good 1911's, but I'm getting a failure to feed every 2000 to 8000 rounds (depending on the gun, and that's the only failure mode I've seen) with the 1911's.   With the Glocks, I get a round locking up the action so tight it requires serious work to get the slide back, about every 400 rounds.   And that's with ammo that has all been chamber checked.   

So in my hands, the 1911's are 5X to 20X more reliable than the Glocks.

Return your Glock... it's broken... I've shot more rounds through my glock than I can count and the closest I come to cleaning it is occasionally lubricating it..

im aware there are good 1911s.. I was joking kind of.. but for real if your glock malfunctions that often.. something is wrong..

58 minutes ago, blksheep said:

Bro, there was like 4 or 5 Glock 23s and 27s in the used counter at Shooters a bit ago.  $325-375 

Exactly.. I would say I could count the amount of people that want a glock 22 on one hand.. but that would require me to at least know one.. LOL 

40 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

10x something is wrong. Gun is fucked or ammo is jacked.

The stats are the same for three different models of Glocks.   I'm going to try small base reloading dies next, which I think will help, but ammo loaded on standard dies that fits fine in both the Midway and the Hornady chamber check dies won't allow the guns to go into battery--and jam it up tighter than hell in the process--at the rate of about 1 in 400 rounds.   I don't see that problem with the same ammo in the SA or S&W.

All are 9's, most brass was already fired from one of mine, but range brass does get mixed in.   The chamber check dies should pick up bulged bases; when I clear the jammed rounds, they don't look visibly different (and they still fit the chamber check die).   My best guess is that I have three unusually tight chambers and unusually loose reloading dies and chamber check dies.   That seems highly unlikely, but I don't know how else to account for it.    

Barrels are OEM; I only shoot these for GSSF, where aftermarket barrels move one into the unlimited division (where I'd get pummeled, since the guns are otherwise stock).