1LtCAP

55" LG

got a local guy selling the above. 55" lg. 1080p, says it's 120hz. he's asking $300.

right now, i'm watching on a toshiba...i forget the model. it's about 7 or 8 years old, 40". its hd is 720.

am i gonna see a decent improvement on picture to be worth spending the loot?

What's the model number on the LG?  It may or may not be 120Hz.  It's probably "Tru Motion 120" or something like that - basically uses CPU processing to "upscale" to something resembling 120Hz.  

What are you watching?  Broadcast TV or streaming movies or video games?  Broadcast TV is 1080i - just slightly better than 720p.  However, if you're watching Blu Ray movies, or streaming HD videos/movies, you will notice a bit of a difference between a 720p 40" to a 55" 1080p.  It won't be a lot but you'll see some things cleaner and clearer, especially on a bigger screen.  

i didn't get the model number from him yet...but when i googled it, it looks like there's 2 versions.....seems the main difference is 2 or 3 hdmi ports on the back.

i mostly watch some movies through crapcast, and for the last couple days, been watching banshee as they're running it a few nights. i haven't gamed on my tv yet, although i was thinking of connecting my old(9 years) computer to it to see if it would run aces high on the bigger screen.

i don't have a bluray player yet

When you say some guy, do you mean a retail store or some guy that is selling a used TV?  If the latter I would skip it.  Last November I bought a 55" 4k HDR Samsung set at Costco for under $500.

1 hour ago, Howard said:

When you say some guy, do you mean a retail store or some guy that is selling a used TV?  If the latter I would skip it.  Last November I bought a 55" 4k HDR Samsung set at Costco for under $500.

TCL 55" 4K for $400.  One of Best Buy's brands but still a decent deal.  Honestly - wait 'till Black Friday if you're looking for deals.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-55-class-54-6-diag--led-2160p-smart-4k-ultra-hd-tv-roku-tv/5878703.p?ref=199&loc=qcLRzjFniJE&acampID=1&siteID=qcLRzjFniJE-QMW4olC6jzn74lfA3wSLqg

6 hours ago, Howard said:

guy selling on craigslist.

4 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

TCL 55" 4K for $400.  One of Best Buy's brands but still a decent deal.  Honestly - wait 'till Black Friday if you're looking for deals.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-55-class-54-6-diag--led-2160p-smart-4k-ultra-hd-tv-roku-tv/5878703.p?ref=199&loc=qcLRzjFniJE&acampID=1&siteID=qcLRzjFniJE-QMW4olC6jzn74lfA3wSLqg

yea....sometimes i'm a dumbass. i was thinking this morning as i drove in....i seem to recall seeing a 65" at wally world for less than 600 bucks......