Sign in to follow this  
Mrs. Peel

Article: Can the world's mightiest naval fleet survive the perfect storm?

Interesting article (with, may I say, a really nice use of short video clips that help bring the story to life).

The article highlights those 5 accidents the 7th Fleet had in 2017 (discussed on here previously), but also discusses how that fits into the overall context of Naval force readiness.  My own takeaway: when you see experts saying they need to "rebuild the Navy"... well, hmmm...  that should give us some pause, shouldn't it? 

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/23/politics/us-navy-seventh-fleet-breaking-point/index.html

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Interesting article (with, may I say, a really nice use of short video clips that help bring the story to life).

The article highlights those 5 accidents the 7th Fleet had in 2017 (discussed on here previously), but also discusses how that fits into the overall context of Naval force readiness.  My own takeaway: when you see experts saying they need to "rebuild the Navy"... well, hmmm...  that should give us some pause, shouldn't it? 

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/23/politics/us-navy-seventh-fleet-breaking-point/index.html

We tend to repair from the top down. We build from the bottom up.

jus sayen 

IT boils down to operational tempo. You can’t expect a crew to deploy for 9 of every 12 months and work 60-hour weeks for weeks straight and not get rundown. You can’t run the equipment that hard without pulling it apart for maintenance once in a while. 

And this is peacetime. 

On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 8:32 PM, voyager9 said:

IT boils down to operational tempo. You can’t expect a crew to deploy for 9 of every 12 months and work 60-hour weeks for weeks straight and not get rundown. You can’t run the equipment that hard without pulling it apart for maintenance once in a while. 

And this is peacetime. 

Yeah, your comment makes perfect sense (even to this total novice). And it would appear the damage done was not merely to the ships/sailors either. Here's another article showing that "US military" plane crashes have claimed more victims this year too --- and most of this seemed to be during very "normal", routine operations. http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/11/24/us-troops-killed-in-plane-crashes-skyrockets-in-2017.html

On 11/24/2017 at 8:32 PM, voyager9 said:

And this is peacetime. 

Voyager hit it right on the nose. Op tempo is high, training and maintenance are low. I understand that morale is pretty low too. These things combine to make a very dangerous mix. 

Unfortunately, I don’t see it changing any time soon, with the volatile situations in NK. I think we will start to see the same things happen in the Atlantic/Med, with the Middle East being what it is. 

8 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

Voyager hit it right on the nose. Op tempo is high, training and maintenance are low. I understand that morale is pretty low too. These things combine to make a very dangerous mix. 

Unfortunately, I don’t see it changing any time soon, with the volatile situations in NK. I think we will start to see the same things happen in the Atlantic/Med, with the Middle East being what it is. 

Build more ships. Unfortunately the big yards are booked with DDG/CVN and subs. given the “failure” of LCS, they’ll have to wait for FFG to get something the smaller yards can build. 

My last ‘usetafish’ (submariner jargon for ‘my last boat’), we were deployed about 300 days/year for my 4 year tour aboard her (this included local ops, and certification ops). Extremely stressful. When we were in port, maintenance was fast and furious. I imagine the surface fleet is doing much the same right now. 

There was little room for error.