Sign in to follow this  
Glock26

Anyone shoot up at Rays on Route 22?

I heard that they are closed. Last time I was at the Bullet Hole in Belleville, it was beyond crowded on Saturday, and they said it was because Rays was closed down. Last time I called Rays (about 2 months ago) they also confirmed they were closing. Places to shoot are few and far between around me now.

Wow, cant believe rays closed down. I wonder why?

It surely cannot be lack of business? I just went to the gun shop here in Hamilton and they were packed... looks like a bunch of new people just getting their FID's picking up guns.

Ray's while convenient, always seemed a bit "blah". Also a bit expensive for what it was.

I dont recall their gun shop pricing, but seemed like they had a pretty good selection.

Ray's was the only place I went to go shooting, except for the times I was taking courses at NJ Firearms Academy. We got to go to a firing range in Bayonne, and another in North Bergen (I think).

Other than that, I have only been to PA, and once to Nevada.

I'm sorry to see Ray's go. It may not have been the best facility, but it was all I had. Maybe it's time somebody opened up a new range!

Ray's is gone. the building is sold and being torn down.

The business was up for sale for a while but at the last minute the deal was not done. I think Ray didn't want anyone else to run it. the kids and in-laws were ready to retire so no one was left.

A friend of mine owned the Hillsboro Shooting center in Hillsboro. When the landlord trippled the rent, he could no longer keep the business, which included a gun shop and shooting range. A new buyer was found and was told by the state, that he could open the gun shop, but would have to close the range, because in New Jersey no new ranges are allowed to open....Even if it was an existing /working range, a new owner could not reopen it.

A friend of mine owned the Hillsboro Shooting center in Hillsboro. When the landlord trippled the rent, he could no longer keep the business, which included a gun shop and shooting range. A new buyer was found and was told by the state, that he could open the gun shop, but would have to close the range, because in New Jersey no new ranges are allowed to open....Even if it was an existing /working range, a new owner could not reopen it.

wow, that is strange. What was the rent on that thing? Hillsboro was great. Anything in that spot now?

If they are not allowing new ranges... how come brick armory was able to open 6 months ago? Maybe it was just the town?

I'm not aware of any state restrictions. Town zoning would probably restrict many from opening and older grandfathered ranges would not be allowed to rebuild.

The cost of proper equipment and meeting the requirements for ventilation is not cheap. My department looked into a indoor range but the cost was way out of line. We built an outdoor range at much less cost.