OK - my wife just got her permit to purchase, and is looking to get her first handgun. Other than an hour spent shooting a variety of an acquaintance's guns (including a .45, a .22 revolver and a .22 semi with the annoying habit of ejecting almost straight back) she has no experience with firearms. My own experience consists of many horus at summer camp with a .22 bolt-action, one skeet event, and an hour or so plinking with a Ruger Mk.1.

So; asking for advise for her first handgun. At the current time, .45 need not apply for the position, and she wants something that will throw the brass someplace other than her face. While it isn't going to be a carry gun (in NJ after all), she has small hands. Based on the above, looking for advice. I already have votes for Glock in 9mm from friends and co-workers (including a Marine weapons team sgt), btu she doesn't care for the look of a Glock. Looking primarily for a range gun, but also one useful in home defense.

My own paperwork is still held up by the SBI for "illegible fingerprints", but I'll be following this for my own handgun as well. I can probably handle a bigger gun, but personally haven't fired any handgun bigger than the Ruger Mk.1

My suggestion is to get two guns. Get a 22 to really learn to shoot, and get a 9mm as a good stepup.

A 22 is not going to be a great home defense gun, but on what else can you shoot 500 rounds for under $15? On a browning buckmark and smith wesson 22a, put a brick (500 rounds of 22lr) through the gun a few days ago, not one cartrige ejected in my face. Most importantly, there will be jams with any gun, a smaller caliber will be much easier to get comfortable with to deal with those.

A 9mm is a great stepping stone after that. My first 9mm was a Beretta 92fs, italian made. It is still by far my favorite. Shoots great, and because it is a full size gun, very little recoil. On the other hand, shot a Smith and Wesson M&P 9c (compact) and much great recoil. The beretta fit my hand well. another one to look into is the Taurus guns, 24/7 pro or OSS. slimmer grip. Other choice may be the Walther PPS (police pistol slim), it is a very slim pistol and easy to grip for smaller hands.

Go to the gun stores, tell them you are a newbie and they will help.

I'm no expert, but from my recent experience, I would look for a 9mm that accepts a .22 Rimfire conversion kit. She can become proficient at the range shooting cheap .22 ammo and then switch overall to 9mm. Kits run about about $300, but you can recoup the cost in a few months or sooner depending on how often you shoot.

I shoot about 400 rounds of 9mm a week. That's about $54 compared to $10 for .22 ammo.

A 22lr will not run you much, and I would even suggest getting a 9mm possibly used. You can probly pick up both for under $500 or $600. Call up your local PD and see if you can request to have another permit done. When I requested mine, just asked for 5. Used one, 4 more to go. =)

I'll pass on the .357 wheelgun recommendation, though that may end up under the same category of a .45 semi (maybe later with more experience). The local PD doesn't seem to be terribly uptight about permits, but we're in a situation now where we need to keep expenditures down to a mild roar. A handgun each has been budgeted, but no more. I had been considering something that took a converstion kit, but didn't know of anything specific other than for a 1911 in .45

The plan, BTW, is for both of us to do NRA basic pistol and then get some rental time at a range to test. Looking for advise on narrowing the search to test.

Go rent. Lakewood has two ranges that both rent. Brick Armory and ShoreShot. Since both have stores, they will let you rent, and switch from one to the other to see what you like. Also, do not be afraid to purchase a used handgun. Esp from a store. If taurus or Smith wesson, both have great warranties. the vast majority of used guns that come to market are former safe queens. Someone buys one, doesnt have time to shoot it, sells it.

Ooh, just came to me. If you want a good 22 that doesnt look all that babyish... look at the walther p22. =) I will pm you a name of a good guy in the area that does firearms sales.

IIRC that was the .22 semi with the habit of spitting brass in my wife's face. (may have been a p23, I was on a hot range, a booth over, with my ear protectors on)

First, I do not think the Glock is a good first gun. They are lighter due to the Polymer body and tend to recoil more. Anyt caliber higher than 9mm kicks hard. Not saying the Glock is not a good pistol ( i am looking for a Glock 34 myslef)

I would suggest going the .22 route. First, the ammunition is much much much, did I say, much cheaper. 500 rounds for $20 compared to $220-$240 for the same amount in 9mm. If she really enjoys shooting and sticks with it you can test out lots of guns and make an educated decision.

If you really want the higher caliber as home defense may be part of your equation then 9mm is the way to go. .40 and .45 are going to recoil to much for a new shooter. Plus the price of ammo is going to hurt you pocket.

I tested pretty much every 9mm in the marketplace and chose the CZ 75 SP-01. I also liked the S&W M&P full size.

Well, we did the NRA basic pistol course and got some range time in on .40 as well. Looks like we are settling on some kind of .22lr for her (Ruger Mk.2 or similar); and I'm thinking of a Glock 17 or 17L for myself - probably with the .22 conversion kit. The local store says they've sold a few and haven't had any complaints.

I got to try a G17L, a S&W 9mm from their Performance center, a Kimber 1911 with trimmings, and a Sig and a Glock in .40. Did NOT like the Sig (226, I think), and wasn't thrilled with the Glock in .40. Loved the Kimber, but that kind of money I don't have right now. The G17L was OK, liked it better than the S&W, actually. (I found out why many of my acquaintances don't like magazine safeties).

Given that the difference between the G17 and G17L is around $200 at the local store, will probably take the money saved and put it into the .22 kit instead.

Well, we did the NRA basic pistol course and got some range time in on .40 as well. Looks like we are settling on some kind of .22lr for her (Ruger Mk.2 or similar); and I'm thinking of a Glock 17 or 17L for myself - probably with the .22 conversion kit. The local store says they've sold a few and haven't had any complaints.

I got to try a G17L, a S&W 9mm from their Performance center, a Kimber 1911 with trimmings, and a Sig and a Glock in .40. Did NOT like the Sig (226, I think), and wasn't thrilled with the Glock in .40. Loved the Kimber, but that kind of money I don't have right now. The G17L was OK, liked it better than the S&W, actually. (I found out why many of my acquaintances don't like magazine safeties).

Given that the difference between the G17 and G17L is around $200 at the local store, will probably take the money saved and put it into the .22 kit instead.

Do yourself a favor, and DO NOT buy anything that you "just like ok". Buy something you really like. My recommendation, in the sell forum here... a member posted an H&K 45 USP.... that is an great firearm at a good price.

Other alternatives, CZ75/85 or Baby Desert Eagle, beretta 92fs. Do not be afraid of buying a used firearm either.

As far as the conversion kits... they will cost more than a 22lr gun itself.

For a variety of reasons - it's going to be a bit before I can apply for another pistol permit (looking to move, and don't know which town). And I only put in for one gun on this ticket. So if I want to shoot .22 this year, it'll likely be with a conversion kit (or with my wife's hypothetical .22; which of course requires that we both go to the range - such a hardship ;) )

I liked the G17, just not quite as much as the Kimber. OTOH, the Kimber was also not exactly stock; the owner is a gunsmith himself. I'm at a point where I have to be cognizant of the difference between a $500 gun I can feed ammo at $20/box vs a $1000-$1500 gun I can feed at $25-$30 a box.

(Odd as it may seem, the Glock had my favorite iron sights of all the pistols I've shot).

Still not totally sure about the cost of .45 vs 9mm as far as the 1911 thing goes. I know there's 1911 platforms in 9mm, but I've actually shot the G17...

FWIW the two gun guys that I work with have both recommended a Glock in 9mm (one of whom was a marine sergeant in the Sandbox. His advice was that 9mm was a perfectly adequate round in hollow-point... and then proceeded to illustrate by anecdote why FMJ was NOT).

I had forgotten that the purchase permit is only another $2 per; and that since they've already fingerprinted me it just needs the local Chief to sign off on it (instead of going to Trenton). Might do that instead of a conversion - I enjoyed the crap out of the Ruger Mk.1 I shot (despite it being a finicky feeder - feed lip on the mag was bent up a bit).

Did you ever shoot a Beretta or a Baby eagle? Please do. =P

Go to a shop that rents, and rent one. Otherwise, if you want to shoot anything I own, come down to either Brick Armory or Citizens and more than welcome to. Also, dont be afraid to consider pre owned.

Whats funny, Everyone I met over the past few trips to the range, had a CZ75 or a variant. =)

You want something cheap that works well...

http://www.classicarms.us/

CZ-82, $199.

You can't go wrong with a CZ75. Anyone I know that owns or has shot one loves them.

Firearms are a very personal thing. There are a select few that are almost a universal fit, but the majority are personal preference. Glocks are good reliable pistols. Fondle as many as yoou can.

I took a guy I work with shooting last week. He loved the look of HK's, but never shot one. He shot my USP and was not happy. I switched him to an XD and he would not put it down.

Like I said, I also fired a Glock in .40 (don't remember the model, sorry). I will have to say that I Did Not Like the .40 in general (much preferred the .45 or the 9mm); but I liked it out of the Glock a lot better than the Sig.

The one thing I didn't like about the Kimber was the exposed hammer. Believe it or not I found it distracting. The Glock has the advantage of an enclosed hammer.

Thanks for the advice. I have to say I felt the glock was phsyically comfortable for me, the controls were laid out logically enough for me and the trigger safety wasn't an issue. (I've heard from people who didn't like it - but I barely noticed).

At any rate, I am not making my decision today. The reason being I don't have timeto get to the store for a couple of weeks. The way things are going I won' have a free day to get out to try something else either though. Shore Shot is nice, but a good 60 miles from my house! (In fact, any of y'all know of a range convenient to Union Co other than the one in Springfield?)

Thanks for the advice. I have to say I felt the glock was phsyically comfortable for me, the controls were laid out logically enough for me and the trigger safety wasn't an issue. (I've heard from people who didn't like it - but I barely noticed).

At any rate, I am not making my decision today. The reason being I don't have timeto get to the store for a couple of weeks. The way things are going I won' have a free day to get out to try something else either though. Shore Shot is nice, but a good 60 miles from my house! (In fact, any of y'all know of a range convenient to Union Co other than the one in Springfield?)

Springfield? You mean Ray's that closed down? The Bullet Hole is going to be the closest to you in Belleville, call it Newark.

No, I mean the range that www.suburbanpistolleague.com shoots at. It is officially a range for the Union County PD but it is open Sundays to the public and Wednesdays to the club. Outdoor range, a bit spartan.

I had seen a listing for the Bullet Hole; didn't know if they still were open. I will try and check them out in my Copious Free Time.

I never set foot in Ray's range. The one time I went in there the salesguy's obvious lack of desire to get a newb into gun ownership (or to get his eyes above my wife's chest when she was asking questions). So I never went back. I have been given to understand my experience wasn't unusual.

My experiences at both Shore Shot and NJFirearms Guild were MUCH better, btw.

Call that range in springfield. I beleive they are undergoing renovations. They were open to public only one or two days... I have never shot there. When I lived in Elizabeth, we basicly went to Rays. I do agree about the reps there. On NJ.com, when they had an article about it closing, a few former reps posted about being underappreciated, treated like dirt by owners, etc.

Bullet hole in Belleville has 10 ports, is an indoor range, $13 per hour, you can bring your own ammo and targets and you can shoot 22 rifle as well as pistol.

http://bulletholenj.com/

They have some restrictions on ammo, no Sellier and Belliot, no Wolf, and some others

My first pistol is an XD40 - luv it, next pistol will be a Ruger mark3, cheap to shoot, fun, accurate, etc.

If you're considering buying guns via gunbroker, check out the guys who are actually selling from NJ, then, if you're willing to travel, you'll save on FFL and shipping...

That's how I bought a Ruger 10/22 (fun factor, two thumbs way up)

Bullet hole in Belleville has 10 ports, is an indoor range, $13 per hour, you can bring your own ammo and targets and you can shoot 22 rifle as well as pistol.

http://bulletholenj.com/

They have some restrictions on ammo, no Sellier and Belliot, no Wolf, and some others

My first pistol is an XD40 - luv it, next pistol will be a Ruger mark3, cheap to shoot, fun, accurate, etc.

If you're considering buying guns via gunbroker, check out the guys who are actually selling from NJ, then, if you're willing to travel, you'll save on FFL and shipping...

That's how I bought a Ruger 10/22 (fun factor, two thumbs way up)

Welcome. The Bullet hole has been well discussed here, check out the range section. =)

They do also allow high power rifle in the place as well. Their prices are great, but the range can use a few updates. On the weekends, it is a madhouse.

For the 10/22, believe it or not, Dick's Sporting goods is awesome, saw them for $199. You can also go to Walmart in PA and get the deluxe edition for around the same price.