kenw

Working Weekend at Cherry Ridge

We were at Cherry Ridge this past Saturday and the RO reminded us that next weekend (4/25-26) is a working weekend on the property and the ranges will be closed.

Apparently, they have fewer volunteers then in the past, so they're looking for members to volunteer to help do whatever it is they do on these days. We've only been members since December, so I don't have any idea what the workload is, but it looks like a good opportunity to give back something for all the time we spend there. Anyone who wants to help out should show up at the clubhouse no later then 8:30 in the morning on Saturday and/or Sunday.

Ken

Most clubs offer a work incentive. My club rewards $7 per hour , up to five hours a year off of the next year's membership. No work, you pay $35.00 additional. A club cannot function without help from the membership or the due will go up significantly.

vrich3733 - This is the website where you can read about the facility and what it has to offer http://www.anjrpc.org/ but better yet take a ride and see for yourself. The first Sunday of every month is membership day, the meeting starts at 9:30, I would recommend getting there early walk around see the facility and then decide. It's like one stop shopping you can shoot pistols, rifles, blackpowder and trap at the same facility. People are always friendly the ROs are strict but keeping you safe is their job. ;)

vrich3733 -- Here you go (973) 764-4100 there is a range officer that lives on the premises. Call and arrange a quick tour with one of the Range Officers. If you go unannounced don't worry nobody is going to tell you to leave, the road says private, drive in and look around (bring hearing protection) if you plan on getting close to the shooting areas.

Hope to see you there.

I'm in to, if you don't mind a "new guy"

As far as I'm concerned, the more the better. The biggest obstacle is that very first meeting, since most of us wouldn't know one another if we ran them over. Maybe a new "I'll be at Cherry Ridge on -----, at the ---range at about -----, and I'll be wearing -------, and my real name is -----" thread. Awkward, but it's Friday and I'm pretty much out of creative thoughts for the week. Maybe after a couple of Wild Turkeys (the bourbon, not the bird) tonight, I'll have a clearer head.

Anyone else, feel free to offer suggestions. I'd really like to get to know some of the other shooters here, and I've had the experience on other forums where a bunch of people talk about getting together, but it never seems to gel.

Ken

just a new guy

They did tell that the new guy buys lunch..............

I just finished up pasting 80 or so targets for the upcoming CMP Match season. In the past years interest varied but this year we have 25 attending the CMP Clinic this Sat. We decided not to charge for the clinic which may or may not had an effect. The up side is that two members who are Distinguish Rifle shooters are instructing. We may see some big number on the firing line this year. I'm getting some of the younger kids from our very active 4-H program. Last year I applied for and got a NRA grant for high power equipment for junior shooters. So I now have four new AR15's, scopes, mats, stools, gloves, ammo and some other items. Match fees are waived so we try to make it as assessable as we can.

It looks be a very busy year at bthe club.

I'm up for it. Let's try to put something together for next weekend - May 23/24 (Sunday is a bit better for me than Saturday, but I'm flexible). This weekend's weather is supposed to suck.

Ken

Did anyone go down there?

I was going to go but I had reserved a wood chipper for the only weekend I could get it and it was the same as the work weekend. We're still cleaning up from the massive ice storm last December ( http://www.geocities.com/malbor2/storm08/ ).

I was curious what needed done. I saw some piles of sand piled up at the pistol range on the friday before, so I assume the berms got re-worked...I just wondered what else. I'm handy with a Chainsaw and not afraid to work.

I was there with Lynn on Saturday. Most of the work was general cleanup and repair, nothing fancy. They had an assembly line of volunteers making target frames, and we were put to work policing the shotgun range of broken clays and plastic wads. Apparently, the EPA/DEP has issues with all the plastic and litter scattered around the range.

I think there's another working weekend scheduled later in the year.

Ken