Sign in to follow this  
tankcommander

why are Hand guns More Popular?

I've noticed that the Rifle Forum doesn't get as many posts as the handgun forum. I guess there are more handgunners in this state then riflemen. I prefer rifles since its easier to get one with much less involvement with the police. Walk in, pick it out, pay the man and get the back ground check and your on your way. With a good range to shoot on(Fort Dix)Its what I prefer.

Also I've started collecting WW2 era rifles which are alot of fun and somewhat less expensive then handguns. The sense of history just adds to the attraction. Who knows where my Enfield might have been or my Garand.

TC

I think a lot of people start out with handguns rather than a rifle bigger than a 22, because we do not have a lot of open space to shoot without joining an expensive club. Most do not think about a Military base for civilians. Out west you go to fopen country and go to town. Here you go to and indoor range run out your target and shoot a handgun.

Now, once you take a handgun shooter out and let them sit behind a .308 and nail a watermelon ot 200yds, their perception changes.

wait... figured it out...

Handgun permits expire....

we can always go buy a rifle. =)

There.

Thats right i can go out and buy a rifle any time. No need to apply for a permit. Less paperwork, less things to tell folks what you have at home. Much more effective against zombies :lol: Stocks to refinish and scopes to mount.

If I see a rifle I like when browsing the gun store, it can go home with me that day, and shoot it that weekend. I don't have to go downtown apply for a permit wait for 3 friends to send in replies, and my job and for the back ground check to come in from the staties, pick it up then go back and look for the gun I saw.

I like rifles.

TC

It would really suck if you couldn't get a permit because your boss said no. Whats the point if you are already a gun owner. If you go postal you could do it with the ones you already own. The easiest way I could see to do in your work place is bring poisoned food. Who passes up home baked cookies in the break room. Disclaimer the undersigned does not advocate doing in your place of work at any time and the above was meant in jest.

TC

I agree, if your boss does not like you or guns, it is easy to spill coffee on the letter. The fact that your work can have say over your private constitutional freedom really urks me.

You are the reason why I do not eat any food from any of my workers. The whole poison cookie scare. Now the brownies on the other hand...

I agree, and where I work they have a website to provide proof of employment how would you send the letter there. I think I'll stick to rifles for a bit longer.

I swear the way folks jump on free food around my work place you could get 80%, especially around holidays.

TC

It's kind of hard to shoot rifles where I live. There is one range in Hudson Co. and they don't allow "large bore" rifles. Maybe out in west or south Jersey it's alot easier due to the open-ness, but not here, too congested.

Yes they do send a letter to your job as a reference. It is one of those things that is supposed to be done, but not always is, depending upon your town.

I don't want to start a war but......I checked this out and from what I have been told, they (the authorities) only keep this information in your file (in case you go off the deep end.....to warn your co-workers). They do not send a letter of any sort to your employer when you apply for a pistol purchase permit, just to the two references that must vouch you are sane enough to own a handgun.

Not starting a war.

I know 2 towns that do it. Howell is one of them, because I read the letter when it arrived at my job. Old Bridge is another one. My buddy up there talked to the girl who does the apps and she said she sends out to every job. I do not agree with it but it happens.

The letter states that so and so is applying for a permit to purchase a handgun and they are verifying employment.

The obvious question is what if you are out of work. No answer.

Wow. Thanks for letting me know. I'm shocked. That should be illegal......We need to all get together and have some of the laws in this state changed ASAP.

I'm glad my town doesn't do this but I feel none should be allowed to pull this.......

Unfortunately, I know many people who would look down upon that person/applicant from that point on......It could even cause employment issues with some ignorant employers in this state.

What a shame.

Greetings from a former Jersey boy - escaped to MA in '87.

First gun was a S&W Model 19, bought back in '81. Second was a Ruger 10/22, bought a month or two later. Didn't buy a centerfire rifle until about three years ago - an M1 Garand. As has been said before, just didn't have a place to shoot it when I lived in NJ - I lived in Fair Lawn. Also, I didn't KNOW anyone to TEACH me how to use a rifle, either - I'm the first gun owner in my family since probably the Civil War... and my great-great-uncles, AFAIK, turned theirs in when they mustered out.

The art of being a rifleman is fading. It is a sad thing.

tbtrout, you're right... and you're wrong, in a sense. There's a new national program called Project Appleseed that teaches two things during weekend-long workshops: Marksmanship and history. Specifically, we teach rifle owners how to become RifleMEN - to take any rack-grade military surplus rifle and make hits on a target out to 500 yards: 4 MOA, that is. We also teach the story of April 19th, 1775 - Patriot's Day - Concord and Lexington - and what our forefathers did to secure our freedom and our rights. We're trying to revive the tradition of the American Rifleman, and turn us back into a nation of Riflemen. We're doubling in size every year - we will be holding over 300 shoots across the country this year, and we plan on 600 next year.

We haven't yet had an Appleseed Shoot in NJ because it's tough to secure a range! We're still trying, though - we have something in the works for July down in Winslow, NJ. I just found this board, and I will stick around and let you folks know when we get you guys going in NJ. Meanwhile, though, if you don't mind a little driving, we have shoots in CT and PA going on all summer. http://www.appleseedinfo.org is our website with the schedule and all sorts of info on what to bring and what goes on during the weekend. We also have a forum, as well.

I should be down at the first shoot in Jersey - I promised our NJ State Coordinator that I would, and I've got dibs on being the Shoot Boss (since I'd love nothing better than to teach folks in my old home state to shoot better and teach them a little history).

Ross AKA the Dwarven1

Instructor

Northeast Regional Coordinator

Project Appleseed.

Haven't been on in a while, but as promised...

There WILL be an Appleseed Shoot in Winslow, NJ on July 18-19!!

Range: South Jersey Shooting Club

Address: 840 Piney Hollow Road, Winslow, New Jersey 08095

When: July 18 and 19, 2009

Range Fee: All participants, $20.00/shooter/ day

Camping available: Not available on site. Nearby at Hospitality Creek, about three miles away.

Hotels: Best Western and Econolodge in Williamstown

Winslow Motor Inn, RTE 73 Winslow

Directions:

From the East: Atlantic City Expressway, Exit 28/Rte 54. Take Rte 54 South. Make first right onto May