Lavid2002

THE OFFICIAL FID THREAD - How Long Did it Take?

I applied for my FID card and pistol permit on the evening of March 26, so nothing happened with it until the 27th. I was told that it would take 4-6 weeks and that I would be called. My phone rang on April 29th and everything was ready for me. The whole process was professional and courteous.

Some towns have you sign the card when the paperwork is initially done

I've never seen a town handle it that way. Permits are to be signed in the presence of the holder. It sounds like they are cutting corners.

Some towns have you sign the card when the paperwork is initially done. When it approved they mail it to you.

That is how Old Bridge handled mine. When I handed in my permits, got finger printed & payed my fees, they also made me sign my FID Card.

Not sure if it's how they always did it, but it is how mine was done.

- Tom

When I got mine in 1980 it took > 300 days and a visit to the State Police to get it kicked free. Average RTT for a PtP was > 6 months, so I kept a couple around at all times.

Rather difference from MA where I moved to and got my LTC in 40 days, and NH where am now where I got my LTC in slightly under on working day.

You are comparing a tiny department to one that is considered one of the larger in NJ. Permits are handled when they get the time. They are not a priority and come when the other work is done. when that may be is unknown. Workloads vary. As budgets and manpower reductions become more frequent, the times get longer. A state hiring freeze is not going to help.

Applied Feb. 11th, still nothing as well. Every week I call and they say it should only be another week.....same story every week.

I wish I lived in some of these twp's that you guys live in! Sounds like you guys had some nice turn around times.

-Scott

fcod,

I would call them up, say whats up.

I called at the 42 day mark, because when I applied the Detective said it would take 3-6 weeks (nice to know he gives an estimate that is illegal right from the start, but whatever). Anyway, when I called he said he has everything except he is just waiting on the NJSP to come back with my BG check, and that it's out of his hands, and that he has no idea how long it will take, and that I shouldn't bother calling again because it's out of his hands and he'll call me when it comes back.

Yeah, right.

I'll probably call at 90 days if I still haven't heard. I might consider sending a letter from my uncle who is an attorney in NY, do you think that might speed things up?

--FCOD

fcod,

I would call them up, say whats up.

I called at the 42 day mark, because when I applied the Detective said it would take 3-6 weeks (nice to know he gives an estimate that is illegal right from the start, but whatever). Anyway, when I called he said he has everything except he is just waiting on the NJSP to come back with my BG check, and that it's out of his hands, and that he has no idea how long it will take, and that I shouldn't bother calling again because it's out of his hands and he'll call me when it comes back.

Yeah, right.

I'll probably call at 90 days if I still haven't heard. I might consider sending a letter from my uncle who is an attorney in NY, do you think that might speed things up?

--FCOD

I call every week and I am polite. When they tell me that my permits are not ready yet and that they will call me when I can get them and tell me I dont have to call I dont get mad. I dont yell, I just stay polite and tell them I will check in if I dont hear anything in a week. Kill them with kindness.

-Scott

Applies april 9th and the guy told me 2 months, still no word. I called and got, "Ive got 25 of these things dave im swamped" Which means I wont get it before I leave in the fall probably. Im going to a regimented military school and I dont have summer break. This is my last summer to shoot for YEARS and these guys cant get stuff done : / If I could clean es squad car or intern for a day to expedite the process I would LMFAO!