Sign in to follow this  
Yotafan

Handgun - Home Defense?

1. How many magazines do you keep loaded, just incase?

2. How many rounds do you keep in the magazines?

I was advised not keep keep 15 rds in my 15 rd magazine so i don't ruin the spring. Is this true or just specualtion?

I have 2 mags loaded with Speer Gold Dot Hollow Points. 10 Rounds per mag (15 round mags).

I have heard various opinions on the whole spring thing, so I am not sure which is true. To be on the safe side I only load 10 in each, but when I go to the range I empty the magazines, leave the HP ammo in the safe and take the magazines to the range to use.

Once I cleaned everything up after my visit I reloaded my magazines with the HP Ammo.

-Tom

Is this true or just speculation

That is total BS and yet another urban gun legend. The cycling of the metal will put more strain and fatigue on it than keeping it loaded. I know of several S&W 659 magazines that were loaded to the top in 84 and are still loaded. All function 100 percent. Unless the magazine does not function properly with it filled to capacity, load it up.

10 Rounds per clip

CLIP!! Did I hear you say CLIP???? Drop and give me 20.

I have 2 mags loaded with Speer Gold Dot Hollow Points. 10 Rounds per mag (15 round mags).

I have heard various opinions on the whole spring thing, so I am not sure which is true. To be on the safe side I only load 10 in each, but when I go to the range I empty the magazines, leave the HP ammo in the safe and take the magazines to the range to use.

Once I cleaned everything up after my visit I reloaded my magazines with the HP Ammo.

-Tom

From my understanding and what i have been told from salesmen at several stores i have purchased ammo from. That if you shoot an intruder with HP ammo it is now a very bad thing in NJ. I coworker asked one of the assistant prosecutors here in Ocean County and he said it is a very gray area. The AP advised not to use them for home defense and only for plinking. From what my coworker told me this AP is pro-gun and an avid shooter.

I was advised not keep keep 15 rds in my 15 rd magazine so i don't ruin the spring. Is this true or just specualtion?

I have 2 10 round mags loaded.

From my understanding and what i have been told from salesmen at several stores i have purchased ammo from. That if you shoot an intruder with HP ammo it is now a very bad thing in NJ. I coworker asked one of the assistant prosecutors here in Ocean County and he said it is a very gray area. The AP advised not to use them for home defense and only for plinking. From what my coworker told me this AP is pro-gun and an avid shooter.

But Your Honor, it was the only ammo they had at the store!!

Nice Gun Max! Congrats on the new purchase!

I keep two .45 caliber 8 Rd. mags one in the gun and one next to the gun. Loaded with all 8 rounds.

Reguarding the spring, like rscalzo said its just a myth. I recently found my old range bag which I thought was empty but inside was a 15rd 92FS mag fully loaded for the past 8 years or so. Functions flawlessly. I agree that there is more wear and tear from the cycling of the metal then having the spring compressed.

All the gun writers claim that with the metals in the springs now, there's no problems with magazines (can I say clip? I was in the Navy. :lol: ) feeding. For some reason :?: , I can't stuff 7 rounds in my Sig 226 40S&W anyway :!:

Nice Gun Max! Congrats on the new purchase!

I keep two .45 caliber 8 Rd. mags one in the gun and one next to the gun. Loaded with all 8 rounds.

Reguarding the spring, like rscalzo said its just a myth. I recently found my old range bag which I thought was empty but inside was a 15rd 92FS mag fully loaded for the past 8 years or so. Functions flawlessly. I agree that there is more wear and tear from the cycling of the metal then having the spring compressed.

forgot about an extra magazine? hehe.

the XD, as i mentioned in the other thread, was confiscated by me from my brother. It came with 3 mags, 9 rounders. In the mag that I used most of the time, i could fit 8 with alot of pain.... the other 2 new ones that were never used.. I could not get in more than 5. So last night, stuffed all 3 with 9 rounds in order to compress the springs in a bit.

though on my smith 22a, the 10 rd magazines... last time I was out on the range... i noticed that the boxes of ammo went off evenly... last magazine would only be 6 rounds or so, figured some rolled off. then when I concioncsly counted off the rounds when firing them.... counted 11. Count that rounds loading the mag.... it fit 11... in a 10 round mag.

All of them. ;)

I have 4 mags for my glock, all are kept loaded with HP ammo while at home. When I go to the range, they all get unloaded, then loaded back up after the gun comes back home.

10 in the stock mags, 12 in the mags with extensions. Oh, and one in the chamber.

As long as the springs are good quality, it doesn't matter if you keep them loaded or unloaded.