Kaiser7

Might build another AR, do lowers matter?

I'm thinking of building another AR sometime in the future. Similar to my first build, it'll be a 20" barrel ( but this time 1:7 twist),, 16" rails, and A2 stock.

But I'm wondering how much a stripped receiver matters. I plan to get the parts and do it myself, but I'm not sure how much difference a stripped lower makes.

Also as for internals, I don't believe m4 feed ramps really matter. And what's are the good trigger groups and BCGS out there now? I haven't done any research in the 5 years since I built my first AR

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yes it matters. I have seen lowers out of spec where pin hills don't line up, pivot pin holes are oblong and the lobes are too close to fit the upper into the lower. Specifically I've seen this in Spikes and PSA lowers more than once and one Anderson. *** note - Anderson makes decent lowers and I believe the single out of spec lower I witnessed was the exception and not the rule.

Stag is my go to lower. Relatively low cost (~$115) but I have had very good luck with them being in spec.

BCM makes the standard for reliable BCGs.

I use Midwest PX for my LPKs. They are affordable, can be had sans trigger group so you can add your own (I have a strong preference for ALG ACT and Geissele SSA), and Ty is a member here and a friend. If I have to pay someone, I'm happy to give it to him.

Additionally, I think M4 feed ramps are an important reliability feature for guns running carbine (and even some midlentgh) gas systems - especially if your barrel extension has them already.

• Like 1

HE knows a lot more than most here, but lots of people have had very good experiences with Anderson's. I have four of them and they are just as good as the ones four times their price. I happen to detest their huge roll mark, but for $39 or so in my situation I can't buy a more expensive one. If the feed ramps can give you some better reliability why wouldn't you get it ? I have a few PSA BCG's and have nothing bad to say about them. +1 for for midwest PX and there is a NJGF discount. For trigger groups, it really depends what you are looking for. The standard upgraded mil spec is the ALG ACT. For two stage the cheaper option is the RRA national match or varmint triggers. Geissele is top of the line especially the SSA-E. I've heard good things about the black rain triggers too.

Anderson lowers are cheap and seem to work fine, no problems.  Spikes is the top choice here, but not so sure it is a priority. There are a plethora of drop in trigger manufacturers to choose from, most are very good. Geissele leads the pact, but I have seen more and more competition in FCGs.  So I guess it is all a question of budget and configuration. As far as uppers go I have not seen one without M4 feed ramps for a long time.  Just seems to be standard fare now.  You can get one without ramps, but takes a little looking for.  If upper/lower fit is a concern, you may want to get a matched pair. Just going to pay for it.  Good Luck.

• Like 1

I've used spikes before and didn't have a problem, I just picked up an Aero and it looks good too. I haven't assembled it yet but I don't see a problem happening.

Triggers- Larue MBT. For $125 it's hard to beat. Competes with triggers 2x in price.

BCG- BCM, DD,Cyptic Coating are good. I've heard good thing about the PSA units as well.

Yes it matters. I have seen lowers out of spec where pin hills don't line up, pivot pin holes are oblong and the lobes are too close to fit the upper into the lower. Specifically I've seen this in Spikes and PSA lowers more than once and one Anderson. *** note - Anderson makes decent lowers and I believe the single out of spec lower I witnessed was the exception and not the rule.

Stag is my go to lower. Relatively low cost (~$115) but I have had very good luck with them being in spec.

BCM makes the standard for reliable BCGs.

I use Midwest PX for my LPKs. They are affordable, can be had sans trigger group so you can add your own (I have a strong preference for ALG ACT and Geissele SSA), and Ty is a member here and a friend. If I have to pay someone, I'm happy to give it to him.

Additionally, I think M4 feed ramps are an important reliability feature for guns running carbine (and even some midlentgh) gas systems - especially if your barrel extension has them already.

I figured I'd go with the ramps either way. When I built my first AR I remember there being some debate about how necessary they are. I just figured they couldn't hurt, but wanted to see if the past few years have changed anyone's opinion on these things. It seems like not too much has changed in terms of the AR market, Geissele is still making the best triggers, etc.

I do remember last time there was a lot of hype for certain manufacturers, so I wanted to see if anything's changed. I know that if I were to get a super-cheap BCG, or some other component, then I could expect problems, but I feel that after a certain point, they are all about the same.  I just don't really know what the distinguishing factor between a DD, Spikes, Noveske, or other part is.

I'm not feeling as under the gun for fear of bans, so I think I'm going to take my time and really build the AR I've always wanted, and spend a little more coin, especially since the prices are much lower now than they were back in 2012.

What about chrome-lined barrels? My current AR has a Chrome-lined barrel, but I believe those can reduce accuracy. I'm thinking of making my next build a more accurate version of what I already have, since it has the aesthetics that I really like.

Hell, I don't even know what a good muzzle device to get would be. I've been collecting WWII era milsurp for so long that I just don't know anything about the cool new stuff that's out.

As long as the power is in spec, it doesn't really matter.

I'm a Colt guy, but if I build an AR, I like Mega Gator lowers.

Edited to add: most chrome lined barrels will still shoot better than you are capable of. I would, however, take the above advice and look into LaRue barrels.

Regarding muzzle devices, most precision AR's are sans muzzle device. You don't really need a brake or a comp for a .223.

• Like 1

As long as the power is in spec, it doesn't really matter.

I'm a Colt guy, but if I build an AR, I like Mega Gator lowers.

Edited to add: most chrome lined barrels will still shoot better than you are capable of. I would, however, take the above advice and look into LaRue barrels.

Regarding muzzle devices, most precision AR's are sans muzzle device. You don't really need a brake or a comp for a .223.

I was thinking of eschewing the muzzle device anyway, but if I end up with a barrel that's threaded I may do it. At least with a 20" barrel, the flash and report should already be reduced.Once I move to PA I might put a flash suppressor on it, partially for looks, and also it would be nice to have I think. Either way it's not a huge concern since  I'm used to guns without them (In fact, my AR may be the only rifle I have with a muzzle device).

I assume any BCG from a major manufacturer will work? Same thing with buffers? 

You are right about the BCG. Unless you are looking for one with a special coating, any big name brand BCG will probably be fine.

The buffer is going to depend on the barrel and gas system and you might need to play with it a bit to get it to your liking. For example, Larue barrel have a slightly larger gas hole which tends to overgas the rifle. You might need a heavier buffer or spring to settle it down. Or yo could get an adjustable gas block with the standard spring and buffer and tune it that way.