JeepGunner

Private Transfers through FFL

I was wondering how private transfers work for long guns now that they have to go through a FFL.

Specifically, If I am selling a long gun I; meet the buyer at the FFL, exchange the money for the weapon, leave the weapon with the FFL.

What paperwork does the seller need to fill out/ sign?  Also, what proof does the seller keep that the item was handed over to the FFL and no longer in his possession?

Thanks for any info.

You're the seller

The FFL is the buyer as far as you are concerned

If the buyer cannot pass NICS, it's no longer your gun and therefore not your problem.

The failed buyer can either sell it to the FFL or let him sell it on consignment, but cannot take possession.

• Informative 1

When he witnesses the transfer of funds (ownership) at his counter, then accepts your D/L for his book as the seller, he knows the (prospective) buyer is the new owner. Same as if it was an incoming transfer.

But he must pass NICS to take possession. Possession rests with the FFL but ownership rests with the buyer.

If the seller waits with the buyer (who has not paid him yet), who then fails NICS, the seller must pass NICS to retake possession.

Yes, this state sucks balls. BIG TIME.

• Informative 1

9 minutes ago, njJoniGuy said:

When he witnesses the transfer of funds (ownership) at his counter, then accepts your D/L for his book as the seller, he knows the (prospective) buyer is the new owner. Same as if it was an incoming transfer.

But he must pass NICS to take possession. Possession rests with the FFL but ownership rests with the buyer.

If the seller waits with the buyer (who has not paid him yet), who then fails NICS, the seller must pass NICS to retake possession.

Yes, this state sucks balls. BIG TIME.

If i'm bring my rifle in to sell I'm getting paid before anyone takes ownership.and I'm done.

You have no concerns after you:

1.  Get your money.  The FFL does not have to witness this.  The FFL doesn't care if you're selling or giving the firearm.

2.  Give the FFL your ID so he can put who he got the gun from in his book.

You have no paperwork to do as the seller.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

The dealer has the option to not enter the firearm in his bound book prior to running NICS on the buyer. 

If the buyer is delayed or denied, the seller can retain possession and ownership of the item. Once approval is granted, the seller can relinquish possession to the dealer, who records the transfer in his books. Then the buyer can take possession 

• Informative 1

8 hours ago, PK90 said:

Yea - In a State where NICs is Instant - Sine in NJ you will not get an instant response, and the seller is going to leave - the FFL must book in the Firearms................

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JT Custom Guns said:

Yea - In a State where NICs is Instant - Sine in NJ you will not get an instant response, and the seller is going to leave - the FFL must book in the Firearms................

Hey Jack.  So would the seller be required to do a transfer From Himself to the FFL 

14 hours ago, silverado427 said:

Hey Jack.  So would the seller be required to do a transfer From Himself to the FFL 

There are a couple different ways to do it, but the way we do it here is as follows:

1) Seller and Buyer agree upon the sale either off-site or at my place (This would include who is paying the transfer fee).

2) Gun(s) are handed over to us, and booked in from the Seller, and transfer fee is Paid in Full. - he (or she) is now out of it)

3) Buyer files out the 4473, and we submit the NICs

4A) NICs is Approved - Buyer comes and picks up the gun(s)

4B) NICs is Denied - Buyer cannot have the gun(s) and we would have to sell them for the buyer as a consignment or hold them for the buyer until he straightens out his issue with NICs. In the later case, a Storage fee would be charged, so it usually less expensive to just sell them at that point.

• Informative 1