Sign in to follow this  
MrMcKulit

IDPA Match in Bridgewater on Sunday 6/21

Is this still on?

I think they're expecting bad weather on Sunday, but if it's not raining, I'm going to try to make it down there.

Oh shit...I'm reading the IDPA rulebook tonight and it says:

"Only conventional notch and post type sights are permitted for IDPA competition. Sights may include tritium inserts, fiber optic inserts, white dots, etc".

I have XS Big dot sights on my glock:

24-7-align.gif

Are those illegal for IDPA? Because they sure aren't coming off easily...

I'm trying to make it there tomorrow. I'll be wearing a Cabela's hat with a blue JPFO pin on it. I may or may not have a camera. Be sure to say hi.

K

I decided not to go.

I got every needed and ready to go. But just found out it usually runs 3 to 4 hours and as a new person, I would have to go there 30 minutes earlier. I have never done this and did not have any place to practice. I wanted to go there so I can meet people from this forum. But since not many people are going, it seems to be wast of time.

OK.............. If I go......... does the link below show correctly where this place is?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 16&iwloc=A

And just to be clear.......... if I just plan to watch..... I dont have to be a member...... correct?

OK.............. If I go......... does the link below show correctly where this place is?

445 Milltown road is where I'm headed also, so if it's the wrong place you'll see at least one other guy in an empty parking lot looking confused.

And just to be clear.......... if I just plan to watch..... I dont have to be a member...... correct?

My first time ever at this location or an IDPA match, so can't answer that definitively. I'm participating in the match and my GF may be hanging around to watch.

I went and competed. Real short review as I'm running out the door again, I'll embellish with more details later:

I had a great time, very friendly people and one of the R.O's (Skip) did a great job of giving me a newbie's orientation.

Glad to say I did not commit any gross violations/errors although on the 2nd stage (the "air marshall on an airplane") I missed all but one of about 8 targets. :oops:

Slowed down for the last two stages and did much better.

I much, much preferred this over a range visit. You can quick draw from holster, rapid fire, mag drops/fast reloads, moving, crouching, shooting from behind cover/slicing the pie, you get to do it all here. This is the kind of "real-world" shooting skills that matter, IMO.

I went and competed. Real short review as I'm running out the door again, I'll embellish with more details later:

I had a great time, very friendly people and one of the R.O's (Skip) did a great job of giving me a newbie's orientation.

Glad to say I did not commit any gross violations/errors although on the 2nd stage (the "air marshall on an airplane") I missed all but one of about 8 targets. :oops:

Slowed down for the last two stages and did much better.

I much, much preferred this over a range visit. You can quick draw from holster, rapid fire, mag drops/fast reloads, moving, crouching, shooting from behind cover/slicing the pie, you get to do it all here. This is the kind of "real-world" shooting skills that matter, IMO.

Awesome time! The weather sucked and brother broke my plans, otherwise, would of love to come.

So here's a bit more:

IDPA website:http://www.idpa.com/

Somerset IDPA web site: http://www.somersetidpa.com/Home_Page.html

Somerset IPDA rule book: http://www.somersetidpa.com/uploads/IDPARuleBook2005.pdf

What you'll need to compete for your first time at Somerset:

- A handgun that is legal in one of the IDPA classes (see rulebook)

- Sufficient ammunition for the event (to my knowledge ammunition is not sold on site)

- A holster that sits mid-line on the strong hand side of your body and meets the IDPA rules (see rulebook). I have a minotaur IWB holster that I had set up for small of back carry. I was able to use it for the match, but had to reposition it to be at my hip.

- A magazine carrier that sits on opposite side of your holster. You can have more than one magazine carrier.

- $10 entry fee. This included pizza lunch/snacks when I went.

- A safety briefing and orientation(arrive early, at least by 11:00 to get the safety briefing).

You do *not* have to be a member of the range to compete in IDPA.

Description of the facility:

The Somerset County Fish and Game Protective Association is a fancy name for an indoor shooting club/range in Bridgewater. You'll need to look for a sign with the street # for the entrance to the club as there is nothing advertising the entrance to the club from the street aside from the street # (and that's the way they want it, one of the R.O.'s told me). There is a kitchen and male and female restrooms and a large lobby with a window view into the range.

The range itself is an open, concrete floor indoor space with a steel trap at one end. It is not ported/divided, and there are no target hangers on overhead cables like at a typical target range. Range appeared to be ventilated, air conditioned and heated.

Unlike IDPA events at other locations, at Somerset the stages are all indoors, which limits the arc of fire that the stages can be set up for.

Description of the competition stages on 6/21:

#1 - "Golf Course" - start is by holding a putter, preparing to make a putt on a strip of astroturf down range into a mechanical golf cup. On the start signal, make putt, turn to face down range, draw from holster and engage three targets while walking laterally to right to first cover position in a "bush" (a piece of plywood with leafy twigs stapled to the sides).

Shoot from "bush" cover (feet, legs and 50% of torso behind cover) through leaves at two more targets (your choice of shooting out of left side or right side of cover).

Move laterally from "bush" cover to "tree trunk" cover (2 plastic barrels stacked on top of each other). Shoot from cover at 2 more targets, again choosing which side of the cover to shoot from.

End of stage. If you made the initial putt, 3 seconds deducted from your time.

#2 - "Air Marshall" - start is your choice of 4 chairs arranged in a square, facing up range and holding a newspaper. On start signal, drop newspaper, turn to face down range, walk to "bulkhead cover" (plywood doorway with a "curtain" (a towel), representing partition between first class and coach), open curtain, draw and fire from "bulkhead" cover at first target, a terrorist with a "bomb" (red balloon) on his chest. Required 2 headshots on terrorist without popping balloon.

Fire at two more "terrorist" targets without hitting their "hostages" (additional targets stapled at 45 degree angle in front of "terrorist" targets).

Continue firing at additional "terrorist" targets further and further down range, representing farther and farther away seats.

(will edit with more later, gotta run again)

#3 - "Pizza Restaurant" - start is by facing up range, holding a pizza box in an "oven" (rectangular cutout in plywood sheet).

On start signal, turn to face down range, put pizza box down on table, stay within two taped lines on table, draw with close retention (basically "hip firing", keep elbow close to body and hold gun one-handed in strong hand only) and fire on close target.

Switch to preferred gun hold/stance and engage 7 more targets at varying ranges in tactical order from near to far, all while staying between black lines on table

#4 - "Gas Station w/baby" - start is holding "baby" (foam doll) in left arm, "gas hose" (vacuum cleaner hose with handle/nozzle) in right hand fueling "car" (large plywood silhouette of car with large cutout for passenger window and small hole for gas tank).

On start signal, place baby in "car seat" (cardboard box inside "car), hang "gas hose" back on "pump" (another plywood prop), then crouch at rear of car and fire over "trunk" at two targets. Move left to fire on two more targets through "passenger window", then move left again to fire on last two targets over "hood".

Got the scores from the match today and I'm happy to say I wasn't dead last, only eighth out of 9 in class. ;) My worst stage was air marshal, where I missed every target except one and got the worst score in class. My best stage was the pizza restaurant where I scored best in class, after deliberately deciding to slow down and aim better after the previous stage.

I was actually surprised I did as well as I did, as this was the first time I had shot my glock after installing XS big dot sights on it.