My level IIIA/stab resistant armor rig (front + rear armor, fabric carrier and trauma pad) weighs 5.2 lbs.

The armor and trauma pad are easily removable from the fabric carrier and then the carrier can be washed in a washing machine. The armor pieces themselves are covered in a thin tyvek type fabric, so they don't absorb anything.

My level IIIA/stab resistant armor rig (front + rear armor, fabric carrier and trauma pad) weighs 5.2 lbs.

Do you remember how thick yours is?

Just so you know, if you wear body armour I think your required to get a crew cut and act like an arrogant SOB with a stick up your a**.

Thanks for the input :icon_rolleyes:

Do you remember how thick yours is?

No, I don't remember, but I can measure it if you like. It's not the same thickness everywhere; it's thickest over the sternum (armor + carrier + trauma plate) and thin-est at the sides/bottom where the armor doesn't extend so there's only the cloth carrier.

More info here:

My link

My Brother and I picked up three 3A vests from a guy on eBay, Roundy_Face for about $350 each. Yea I know what your thinking, but they are pretty decent and we used the 3ed one for testing. It did in fact stop .44 mag and it is NIJ compliant. With that being said however it not just the penetration that can kill you. If the vest stops the bullet, but doesn't displace enough energy you could still die from blunt force trauma.

P.S. The vest we got are very plain with no plate carriers. They are also not very concealable.

Damn .... Thanks a lot guys! Now I'm thinking about getting one ..... Eventually in the future, no extra cash atm ... Oh well let's talk about helmets now! Who got one? I have a marine issue one >> Kevlar. (damn I'm so Kool I'm gonna burst :)

I too had a previous job where I thought about buying my own body armor since it wasn't issued to me. The cost is what stopped me from getting it. At the time I had little disposable income. I would be hesitant to get something of this nature off of ebay since you don't know the condition of the vest until you get it in your possesion. I know Gall's used to have tons of these available and that was the retailer I was more than likely going to use. However I was also leary because I know they are better if you are specifically measured for them. I have strange measurements and finding a normal shirt or blazer can be a challenge for me at times.

Vest are great when defending a fixed target, or deploying out of a vehicle (typically the scenarios where soldier like to use vests). When on the offensive out in terrain, they're just too heavy to wear. If you're a homeowner awaiting the apocalypse, and defending against UN CommieNaziZombies, then a vest could be a very useful part of your defense. Helmet, maybe too... but they're pricey.

Vest are great when defending a fixed target, or deploying out of a vehicle (typically the scenarios where soldier like to use vests). When on the offensive out in terrain, they're just too heavy to wear. If you're a homeowner awaiting the apocalypse, and defending against UN CommieNaziZombies, then a vest could be a very useful part of your defense. Helmet, maybe too... but they're pricey.

I have absolutely no intentions of ever being on the "offensive". Like it was said by someone else, this was considered in case someone tried something stupid at my place of work.....a bank.