DevsAdvocate

Home invasion thread.

http://blog.nj.com/ledgerupdates/2007/0 ... er_ho.html

Three men seized in Bridgewater home invasion

Posted by Bev McCarron and Nyier Abdou July 30, 2007 11:45PM

Categories: News

Three Bronx men were nabbed by police early today after forcing their way into a Bridgewater home in the middle of the night, trying up two residents, pistol-whipping one and making off with $8,400 in cash and jewelry, authorities said.

The father went downstairs to investigate the noise. He was unarmed and held up by the intruders.

This victim is a friends father, note the two handguns that were stolen:

http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/articl ... 9905140345

Some good statistics here: http://southjersey.backpage.com/General ... id=2214089

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2009/0 ... d_bro.html

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2009/0 ... durin.html

http://blog.nj.com/timesupdates/2007/09 ... g_mor.html

http://www.nj.com/south/index.ssf/2009/ ... 8_dee.html

http://cbs3.com/topstories/Home.Invasio ... 40501.html

http://www.unioncountynj.org/prosecutor ... teliz.html

This one happened to a senator last month in Elizabeth...

http://www.unioncountynj.org/prosecutor ... teliz.html

http://www.nj.com/news/local/index.ssf/ ... bbery.html

Last night in Marlboro Twp, Female was home alone and saw someone in her house downstairs, she ran upstairs and locked her self in her bedroom, tried to call police but her phone lines were cut. She ended up using her cell to call 911, by the time the police got there the subject fled on foot.

From the comments

" Speaking as a criminal, for criminals, I commend the Chief for not recommending self defense and preservation. A man could get hurt, or even die, if victims went about defending themselves. I've got a drug habit to feed, and being perforated by a home owner is the last thing I need when I'm just trying to pay for my next fix. Chief Hayducka, I thank you, my fellow criminals thank you, and most of all the NJ State Government thanks you for helping contribute to keeping victims helpless and afraid. Vote Corzine! "

From the comments

" Speaking as a criminal, for criminals, I commend the Chief for not recommending self defense and preservation. A man could get hurt, or even die, if victims went about defending themselves. I've got a drug habit to feed, and being perforated by a home owner is the last thing I need when I'm just trying to pay for my next fix. Chief Hayducka, I thank you, my fellow criminals thank you, and most of all the NJ State Government thanks you for helping contribute to keeping victims helpless and afraid. Vote Corzine! "

Golden! Might as well leave you doors wide open and invite them in for tea and krimpets.

To add, South Brunswick put one of those huge LED construction signs (that tell you if a route is closed, or whatnot) right outside the neighborhood (I drive by it whenever I head up north). It just flashes the fact there was a home burglary on so and so date, and to call a number if anybody has any information. I've never seen that before-- a town using resources like that. There was a home invasion in my neighborhood about four or five years ago where the same happened (maid and children too actually were tied up at gun point), though there was rumors it was tied to the Asian mafia. Local PD, FBI, and Staties were all there... they blocked off all access to that half of the neighborhood, and I had to end up parking on the other side, and walking home from there. I think that story hardly even made the local news, let alone get a huge sign :lol:

This is my favorite pull quote:

allowing for a reasonable level of freedom while providing responsible security measures.

By whose standards, and who gets to decide (obviously not me) what a "reasonable level of freedom" is for me and my family?

K

THIS is what happens when the Town Attorney starts vetting any press releases by the PD. God forbid we tell People to Defend themselves, because We'll be held liable if they get hurt. Comment added

This is my favorite pull quote:
allowing for a reasonable level of freedom while providing responsible security measures.

By whose standards, and who gets to decide (obviously not me) what a "reasonable level of freedom" is for me and my family?

K

Attorneys who are looking after everyone's welfare but yours.

To add, South Brunswick put one of those huge LED construction signs (that tell you if a route is closed, or whatnot) right outside the neighborhood (I drive by it whenever I head up north). It just flashes the fact there was a home burglary on so and so date, and to call a number if anybody has any information. I've never seen that before-- a town using resources like that. There was a home invasion in my neighborhood about four or five years ago where the same happened (maid and children too actually were tied up at gun point), though there was rumors it was tied to the Asian mafia. Local PD, FBI, and Staties were all there... they blocked off all access to that half of the neighborhood, and I had to end up parking on the other side, and walking home from there. I think that story hardly even made the local news, let alone get a huge sign :lol:

Most of the Municipalities in the state have gotten those signs now exactly for those types of things. It's part of OEM Grants. The Primary use is for emergency notifications of Natural Disasters, terrorism events and the like, but they are also specifically to be used when deemed necessary for flooded roads, and neighborhood notifications.

Most of the Municipalities in the state have gotten those signs now exactly for those types of things. It's part of OEM Grants. The Primary use is for emergency notifications of Natural Disasters, terrorism events and the like, but they are also specifically to be used when deemed necessary for flooded roads, and neighborhood notifications.

Interesting, I didn't know that. I know my township has made huge strides adding a CERT program, but its good to hear that there are other measures being taken too.

Maybe NJ should stop getting grants for signage used for posting crimes that occurred already and start getting some grants that help police officers keep their jobs to perhaps deter crime before it happens.

I know, I know, grants dont work like that, and the signs were used for other purposes too, bla bla bla, but when looking at the big picture it just seems a little silly. Laying off police officers one day, and the next, spending money on signage to show people crimes are occurring, as if we weren't already aware. :roll:

My town uses Twitter to inform residents what is going on in the town. Info gets out almost immediately as it is posted by the officers on the street.

Of course they aren't as busy but considering there is only one or two on the road at a time it has its moments.

As far as the message boards, they really come in handy. We were fortunate that a state DOT office would provide one when needed. I've never seen a grant that would pay for a piece of equipment like that so the funds probably came from the town or possibly a mutual purchase from a few towns. We bought a radar speed trailer years back. I didn't want it. the Chief didn't want it. but a Councilman saw it at a state convention and insisted we buy it. They are not cheap. Years back when we bought ours, we paid almost 13k plus the cost of installing a hitch on one of our SUV's.

DON'T RESIST.

Probably not a bad idea if you have nothing but yourself to use as a weapon. That is the meaning of the comment. Depending on who you are dealing with, resisting can only get you and the family hurt.

A home invasion is not a burglary. The vast majority of burglaries are committed during daytime houses on a location that is unoccupied. Any burglar that inadvertently entered a home that was occupied exited as quickly as possible. In no way do they want any interaction with the homeowner.

A home invasion , committing knowing that the residents are home is a volatile situation than can end badly.

No one recommendation will work in every case. Getting them what they are after and out of the home is the idea. Anything that will delay that is only going to inflame the situation into a possibly violent reaction.

Maybe NJ should stop getting grants for signage used for posting crimes that occurred already and start getting some grants that help police officers keep their jobs to perhaps deter crime before it happens.

I know, I know, grants dont work like that, and the signs were used for other purposes too, bla bla bla, but when looking at the big picture it just seems a little silly. Laying off police officers one day, and the next, spending money on signage to show people crimes are occurring, as if we weren't already aware. :roll:

It's all federal money out of Homeland Security under the OEM banner that has been in the pipeline for about 3 YEARS and the signs were all delivered about 6 months ago. The state other then administratively through State OEM really wasnt involved in this one..which is why we actually got what we were promised for a change.

My town uses Twitter to inform residents what is going on in the town. Info gets out almost immediately as it is posted by the officers on the street.

Of course they aren't as busy but considering there is only one or two on the road at a time it has its moments.

As far as the message boards, they really come in handy. We were fortunate that a state DOT office would provide one when needed. I've never seen a grant that would pay for a piece of equipment like that so the funds probably came from the town or possibly a mutual purchase from a few towns. We bought a radar speed trailer years back. I didn't want it. the Chief didn't want it. but a Councilman saw it at a state convention and insisted we buy it. They are not cheap. Years back when we bought ours, we paid almost 13k plus the cost of installing a hitch on one of our SUV's.

DHS Rich, every municipality in the county except for E Newark got at LEAST one, along with a couple of those Construction sight Light trailers a few years ago. Cant say im unhappy about it, since we've used both the sign and the lights a LOT since they were delivered. Hell we ended up using the Trailer to power one of our Stations when some jackass took out the poles in front of the county jail.

Secaucus never got one. I wish we did as I could have used it during highway diverts and other special events. We get screwed out of everything.

Of course we did get a gas mask for everyone that were basically of no use to use.

Secaucus never got one. I wish we did as I could have used it during highway diverts and other special events. We get screwed out of everything.

Of course we did get a gas mask for everyone that were basically of no use to use.

The signs only arrived in the last couple of months rich Like I said the process for them has been going on for 3 years. Right now we're waiting on the final bid on a boat through DHS funds matching..THAT one has been going on for about 4 years now. if people realized just HOW much Homeland Security money has been suitting around UNspent they'd be livid... meanwhile departments cant get the equipment they need.

yeah, saw that one on the news this morning. I am curious who did the shooting, the homeowner or the BG's. Isn't it funny, how in just about EVERY case of a home invasion when a neighbor is interviewed you hear something along the lines of, "This is such a quiet neighborhood, I never thought it would happen here". Famous last words.

Be guided accordingly.

You can't depend on police to respond even if you call them. courts have ruled Police have no duty to protect individuals. You don't see the words "to protect and serve" on police cars anymore.

http://www.mcrkba.org/w19.html

http://www.firearmsandliberty.com/kasle ... ction.html

No, what the court Ruled is that a Police Depmartment cannot be sued for Failing to Protect an individual, unless that individual is in a "special Relationship" with that department, as in covered by a specific Protection Detail. The simple reality is that there are around 30,000 LEO's in the state of NJ, and THAT included on every level, State, County, Local, Corrections. There are physically not ENOUGH police to "Protect" everyone. Funny thing is the same people that trot out that old "The Police have no duty to protect you" Crap are the same ones who are always bitching that there are too many cops.

You guys are the minority then, everyone else is always complaining that tehre are too many of us..especially after they get a summons :D . Seriously though Jersey City has around 800 Officers, Newark around IIRC 950 (Both departments are short) my Dept has 125 with a population of about 48K and a daytime population of around 100K. It's not physically possible for us to be everywhere at all times.. My apologies if i took the "They dont have a duty to Protect" thign the wrong way,m but it's used on that "Other" site a lot to hammer at us. What it really menas is that for example when we're working short handed with 3 cars on the road, who are handling 2 Domestics and a fatal MVA, and another domestic or robbery or what-have-you comes in, and we take time to get there, we can't be sued for not having someone available. We DO have a Duty to respond, it's in our oath, but we are just humans and cant be in 3 places at once.

Absolutely. Who do those people that complain there are to many officers call when they need help??? The police.

Hopefully people will wake up and smell the roses one of these days and realize how difficult your jobs truly are, and it is not the actual police officers that decide to be understaffed. It is on a much higher level. Do people think the POs really want to be so outnumbered??

I am a huge supporter of the police. Every year, I let the local explorers come to my car wash to help out and 100% of the proceeds for the day goes to the explorers. Last year we were able to raise over $10K for them. They were so thankful. Anytime a PBA clam bake, picnic, or any fundraiser comes around I always sponser it.

I also outfitted one entire police department with all their gym equipment, everything from the machines, to the freeweights, to the mirrors on the walls. They were thrilled. It makes me feel good to do what I can. It is my way of saying thank you for putting their lives on the line day in and day out.