DevsAdvocate

Home invasion thread.

Absolutely. Who do those people that complain there are to many officers call when they need help??? The police.

Hopefully people will wake up and smell the roses one of these days and realize how difficult your jobs truly are, and it is not the actual police officers that decide to be understaffed. It is on a much higher level. Do people think the POs really want to be so outnumbered??

I am a huge supporter of the police. Every year, I let the local explorers come to my car wash to help out and 100% of the proceeds for the day goes to the explorers. Last year we were able to raise over $10K for them. They were so thankful. Anytime a PBA clam bake, picnic, or any fundraiser comes around I always sponser it.

I also outfitted one entire police department with all their gym equipment, everything from the machines, to the freeweights, to the mirrors on the walls. They were thrilled. It makes me feel good to do what I can. It is my way of saying thank you for putting their lives on the line day in and day out.

Thanks for what you do. Funny thing is, most of the people in this part of the country dont realize just how GOOD they have it. My Sister-in-law and BiL moved from New York City to Lancaster County Pa. He's a VA cop down in Baltimore, the house they bought is in an unincorporated town which is covered by PaSP. On routine non-emergent stuff it's anywhere from 30-45 minutes for them to get someone to the house. Ambulance is about 15-20 min as the local squad doesnt keep a crew on duty, they respond to the building and take the bus from there. Conversely, barring anything extreme, Our response time is under 5 minutes to most non-emergency calls, and generally much less to "Bad" things. People from up here move out to "The Country" and still expect services to stay the same way they are in the more suburban/urban areas.

Forgot all about this thread.... here's one from tonight from PA

@ 23:07 Phila, PA / 19th street / 2 males between 17-18 years old / both wearing blue jeans one with black shirt one with blue shirt with chinese writing / two handguns were shown / taken were two laptops and $500 cash.

Ocean County - Jackson - 4:26pm - 8/24/09 - Home Invasion Robbery - Thompson Bridge Road - MOCIB is in effect, wanted is a white male in his 30's 190-200 lbs - medium brown hair - wearing gloves - unk amount of cash taken - larege knife was shown.

Ocean County - Jackson - 4:26pm - 8/24/09 - Home Invasion Robbery - Thompson Bridge Road - MOCIB is in effect, wanted is a white male in his 30's 190-200 lbs - medium brown hair - wearing gloves - unk amount of cash taken - larege knife was shown.

What does MOCIB in effect mean?

Sorry....MOCIB = Monmouth-Ocean County Intelligence Bureau

Similar to a BOLO (Be On Look Out) or APB (all points bulletin) but neither of those are ever used anymore besides movies. With a MOCIB every department (federal/state/county/municipal) depending on what 'zone' (ex: 1-E-Echo or 4-B-Bravo etc.) the mocib is issued in, have posts that they must sit at until the mocib is either extended or cancelled (usually in 15 min intervals). MOCIBs are only issued for serious crimes where there is a actor (aka perp, but again no one uses that anymore except in the movies) description or vehicle description.

Original Story HERE

Just remember guys, these are just the ones that actually make the papers. There are many that dont. Actually more times than not, they do not make the paper / news .

Armed men rob 3, kidnap 1, in Jackson home invasion

September 25, 2009 JACKSON

I'm going to sound paranoid, but just last night there was a male, maybe mid/late 20s going door-to-door doing one of those donation things to help finance education through selling Star Ledger subscriptions. I was a bit on edge because it was a little after 8PM, and as far as I know, not many people 1. do the door-to-door thing in my neighborhood 2. read the Star Ledger in my parts (based on location, more people will read the Trenton Times due to proximity and coverage). From a purely intelligence stand point, its a perfect way to get first-hand knowledge of somebody's household... you can tell who lives there, maybe how many, if there's an alarm system, how somebody will answer the door, presence of dogs, etc. What also worries me is that I live a mile or two away from where the home invasion happened in South Brunswick a couple months ago... and now this.

So, needless to say, I normally keep my AR in cold status, but she'll be ready to go until I get an HD shotgun (along with my pistol)...

I'm going to sound paranoid, but just last night there was a male, maybe mid/late 20s going door-to-door doing one of those donation things to help finance education through selling Star Ledger subscriptions. I was a bit on edge because it was a little after 8PM, and as far as I know, not many people 1. do the door-to-door thing in my neighborhood 2. read the Star Ledger in my parts (based on location, more people will read the Trenton Times due to proximity and coverage). From a purely intelligence stand point, its a perfect way to get first-hand knowledge of somebody's household... you can tell who lives there, maybe how many, if there's an alarm system, how somebody will answer the door, presence of dogs, etc. What also worries me is that I live a mile or two away from where the home invasion happened in South Brunswick a couple months ago... and now this.

So, needless to say, I normally keep my AR in cold status, but she'll be ready to go until I get an HD shotgun (along with my pistol)...

Why "until you get an HD Shotgun?" the AR is a better choice anyway if you have to defend yourself against 6 mutts, wouldn't you think?

And I don;t think you are paranoid to think that. who the heck goes door to door at 8PM. I dotn answer the door at 1 in the afternoon without looking through my cameras, forget about 8PM

Ha, I agree, I would take an AR over a shotgun, as I'm far more proficient with it. Its just that the houses in my neighborhood is somewhat close to each other, and I want to minimize any possible collateral. But agreed, I'm sure I can place six well-aimed shots on target quicker then if I had a shotgun (given, my experience with shotguns is almost nil).

I'm going to keep my eyes open, and thankfully Plainsboro has a relatively active On Watch/Neighborhood watch system... I'll be sure to call the cops if I see anything out of order.

A sofa fell off of a Waste Management garbage truck and hit my pickup at 4 in the morning and the local Pd was banging on my door like he was trying to break in!Not just banging but kicking too! I looked out the side window before I went anywhere near the door and saw it was the pd, lucky for him that the door didn't break in he was about to know what it would be like to be shot by a nice Kimber! He didn't even say it was the police! The squad car was parked around the corner with his lights off! What the hell was that all about? I yelled Who is it and he didn't answer he just kept on bangin!

Chad, thanks for posting that up, it puts it in perspective that things happen even where you dont expect it.

I'm going to sound paranoid, but just last night there was a male, maybe mid/late 20s going door-to-door doing one of those donation things to help finance education through selling Star Ledger subscriptions. I was a bit on edge because it was a little after 8PM, and as far as I know, not many people 1. do the door-to-door thing in my neighborhood

Its funny you say this, because yesterday I had a guy drive up to my house early evening selling stuff from the back of a Ford Ranger, now I live in a farm area...my house is 900 feet off the road, so I knew this guy was coming for a while. I was down working on my car with a buddy of mine when the truck came up (I have a detached garage) the guy saw me and continued up towards the door and no one was home. I yelled for the guy and he came down my way, and was greeted by my Pit/Boxer mix who was barking from the fence (this dog only barks the way he was barking when something isn't right) As he was walking towards me I told my buddy that my shotgun was on the work bench, I had just gotten done cleaning it, and there was a box of shells in the gun bag if we needed it. The guy seemed shady, asked me if the house was mine before he asked if i wanted to buy anything, I told the guy I did not want to buy anything, and that he may want to think about getting back in his truck before the dog broke the fence down. He complied, but it was just weird how he would come ALL the way up to my house, you don't see the house from the road with the leaves on the tree, and you would miss the driveway if you didn't know it was there. The Mossberg has been loaded and in my closet ever since, and the Mauser ready with a few stripper clips near by. I really hope it was all innocent and the guy just got lucky and found my driveway.

Chad, thanks for posting that up, it puts it in perspective that things happen even where you dont expect it.

Abolutely...almost every victim of this always says, "I live in such a good neighborhood" or "nothing like this happens here". You'll even here, "no criminals live around here"...guess what, they dont have to live near you. Just like we commute to work, they commute as well. They prefer to do things away from their home turf. Less chance witnesses will recognize them, less chance of the victim bumping into them in the street, etc.

Very good decision to leave the mossberg close by. It is unfortunate that homeowners are forced to be on the defensive, but we are left with no choice.

Others choose to depend on the police. Police are not there to stop crime like alot of people think. Police respond to the crime after the fact (after they are called) On some rare occasions, or happenstance, the police will interrupt a crime. On even more rare occasions the homeowner is able to make a 9-1-1 call while the burglar is still inside their house, but those calls are few and far between, although it does happen.

Abolutely...almost every victim of this always says, "I live in such a good neighborhood" or "nothing like this happens here". You'll even here, "no criminals live around here"...guess what, they dont have to live near you. Just like we commute to work, they commute as well. They prefer to do things away from their home turf. Less chance witnesses will recognize them, less chance of the victim bumping into them in the street, etc.

Very good decision to leave the mossberg close by. It is unfortunate that homeowners are forced to be on the defensive, but we are left with no choice.

Others choose to depend on the police. Police are not there to stop crime like alot of people think. Police respond to the crime after the fact (after they are called) On some rare occasions, or happenstance, the police will interrupt a crime. On even more rare occasions the homeowner is able to make a 9-1-1 call while the burglar is still inside their house, but those calls are few and far between, although it does happen.

Just remember, when seconds count the police are just minutes away.

First thought without reading the comments - were they on the up and up with the business (tax wise) or was this just a 'fly by night' operation designed to get some seniors a little extra cash?

Second, comment by police that they should not do this out of their home, would it really be safer in a 'shop'?? :?