Melgamatic

New Jersey Senate to Vote on One-Gun-A-Month Tomorrow

I normally don't post behind my own post, but I just had an epiphany.

The one gun a month isn't designed to have any great effect on gun purchasers. Yeah, it makes an already inconvenient and convoluted process even more so, but the greatest effect will be on the gun sellers. It's going to reduce their sales volume dramatically, maybe to the point where it's no longer profitable to maintain any sort of substantial inventory, or even to drive them out of business.

It eliminates multiple and impulse sales at the counter, and makes it much more difficult to justify a large inventory. It could drive the sellers out of business. Fewer gun shops, fewer sales. Fewer sales, fewer shops. "And then there were none" BRILLIANT!!

Machiavellian bas**rds.

K

Interesting p.o.v.

But I have to question it, from what I've seen in the 3 years of being a gun owner in NJ, there was already a lack of selection from what I've seen at the gun shops in NE NJ. But everyone of them told me they can get almost anything that's legal in NJ.

I could this happening, unless steps are taken to streamline the permit approval process, so that it does only take 30 days, and not up to, or even more than 6 months to get one permit.

Supposedly there's a Bill in works to do just this.

F---ing ridiculous.

Here's a list of the bill's sponsors:

Quigley, Joan M.

Vas, Joseph

Oliver, Sheila Y.

Vainieri Huttle, Valerie

Johnson, Gordon M.

Schaer, Gary S.

Gusciora, Reed

Lampitt, Pamela R.

Coutinho, Albert

Ramos, Ruben J., Jr.

Cunningham, Sandra B.

Ruiz, M. Teresa

Redd, Dana L.

Whelan, Jim

Here is a list of the Assemblymen/women that voted Yes on the bill:

Mary Pat Angelini, Peter J. Barnes, Jon M. Bramnick, Ralph R. Caputo, Anthony Chiappone, Upendra J. Chivukula, Neil M. Cohen, Herb Conaway, Jack Conners, Albert Coutinho, Nilsa Cruz-Perez, Joseph Cryan, Wayne P. DeAngelo, Patrick J. Diegnan, Joseph V. Egan, Elease Evans, Thomas P. Giblin, Jerry Green, Linda R. Greenstein, Louis D. Greenwald, Reed Gusciora, Amy H. Handlin, Mila M. Jasey, Gordon M. Johnson, Pamela R. Lampitt, Sandra Love, John F. McKeon, Paul D. Moriarty, Eric Munoz, Sheila Y. Oliver, Nellie Pou, Vincent Prieto, Joan M. Quigley, Ruben J. Ramos, David P. Rible, Joseph J. Roberts, Caridad Rodriguez, Frederick Scalera, Gary S. Schaer, L. Harvey Smith, L. Grace Spencer, Linda Stender, Cleopatra G. Tucker, Valerie Vainieri Huttle, Joseph Vas, Connie Wagner, Bonnie Watson Coleman,

They haven't posted which Senators voted Yes yet, but when they do I will post it. Sorry I don't have time to provide links to the profiles for all the Assemblypeople.

--FCOD

If the shops have no inventory, prospective buyers can't touch and hold the guns to decide what they like. For anyone who knows exactly what they want, order and wait is just fine, but it will be impossible for first time buyers to comparison shop, and impulse sales at the counter will just cease to exist. Also, shops will be reluctant to take in used firearms on consignment because the volume may have dropped so significantly that used weapon sales (with lower margins than new ones) will no longer have enough bottom line to support the space they occupy in the counter. No more trading up.

There are all sorts of ugly scenarios that can come of this wrongheaded legislation.

Maybe the vendors here can shed some light on this. How many customers of yours buy more than one handgun at a time? How many customers buy more than one handgun a month from you? Are the majority of purchases rifles, shotguns, or handguns?

How about the members? How many of you purchase more than one gun a month when you have PP's.

I know in my business, if the state told my customers they can only visit once a month, I would definitley be affected.

Just curious of the actual impact on FFL's and their point of views on this.

As far as contacting the legistlators, will that do any good as far as reversing the decision after the fact? Or will it just make everyone feel better? I'm not really up on how politics work as far as that is concerned.

Maybe the vendors here can shed some light on this. How many customers of yours buy more than one handgun at a time? How many customers buy more than one handgun a month from you? Are the majority of purchases rifles, shotguns, or handguns?

How about the members? How many of you purchase more than one gun a month when you have PP's.

I know in my business, if the state told my customers they can only visit once a month, I would definitley be affected.

Just curious of the actual impact on FFL's and their point of views on this.

As far as contacting the legistlators, will that do any good as far as reversing the decision after the fact? Or will it just make everyone feel better? I'm not really up on how politics work as far as that is concerned.

right now more of a feelgood, but going forward, once the addresses are in, an easier way to contact them.... and hey, might aswell contact them all with a click of a button.

Let us all know how that third option of yours works out for you. How about just sticking to the first two suggestions.

take note of all the sponsors and make sure to let them know how you feel with a phone call, a letter or even just spit on them when you see them on the street.

I just assumed since this place isn't anything like a civil society like I've ever lived in before that there was no need for not acting like a child. I figured I'd be given a medal since that is what the government is doing anyways turning us into children. I think I am going to call up Corizine and ask if someone can come over and cook me breakfast because I am hungry and the government should fix my hunger problem. I want eggs and pancakes.

I was thinking about this last night and just realized something. This month the Friends of the NRA held their annual dinner on the Seacoast. They raffled off the NRA gun of the Year, a matched pair of Ruger Blackhawks. Guess they can't be sold in one sale in NJ.

As someone else pointed out, since they have to come to you through an FFL anyway you can just have the FFL hold one for you for 30 days.

Realistically, this law won't really affect any of us. I mean, how many of us actually buy more than one handgun every month? Sure, there may be a few people who do, but I don't think this will make much of a difference.

However, it is the concept of the law that disturbs me the most. It's a slippery slope. Every time a right is restricted we are one step closer to a right being denied.

---FCOD

It is NJ feel good legislation. NJ is great for taking crimes that already have laws prohibiting them and renaming them. Carjacking comes to mind. There were laws on the books that covered it but when a few high profile incidents came to light, everyone jumped up and tripped over each other trying to rename what was already on the books.

As I have already said, it will just create more paperwork for whoever issues the permits. Now they have to determine when the last permit was issued. I'd be interested to see what guidelines come down from the state on this but I'm sure nothing will be distributed for a few months.

As someone else pointed out, since they have to come to you through an FFL anyway you can just have the FFL hold one for you for 30 days.

Realistically, this law won't really affect any of us. I mean, how many of us actually buy more than one handgun every month? Sure, there may be a few people who do, but I don't think this will make much of a difference.

However, it is the concept of the law that disturbs me the most. It's a slippery slope. Every time a right is restricted we are one step closer to a right being denied.

---FCOD

How many have bought more than 1 handgun in a month? I have. Alot of new shooters have.

How about this... if you put more than one handgun on consignment, and then want it back.... guess what, you need a pistol permit for each. so if you put 2, or 3, or 4... it will take at least half a year to get them all back if you dont already have pistol permits.

I agree, that most dont average one a month, but quite frequently, do I see someone buying more than one handgun at a time.

But, that is not the point here, the point is, they are RESTRICTING OUR FREEDOMS in the same of possibly saving one life. they made an example that STATES HAVE THE RIGHTS TO RESTRICT THE CONSTITUTIONAL FREEDOMS AFFORDED TO US! Wake up people.

---FCOD

How many have bought more than 1 handgun in a month? I have. Alot of new shooters have.

How about this... if you put more than one handgun on consignment, and then want it back.... guess what, you need a pistol permit for each. so if you put 2, or 3, or 4... it will take at least half a year to get them all back if you dont already have pistol permits.

I agree, that most dont average one a month, but quite frequently, do I see someone buying more than one handgun at a time.

But, that is not the point here, the point is, they are RESTRICTING OUR FREEDOMS in the same of possibly saving one life. they made an example that STATES HAVE THE RIGHTS TO RESTRICT THE CONSTITUTIONAL FREEDOMS AFFORDED TO US! Wake up people.

I bought a pair of Nagant Revolvers a few months ago. I also bought a 1911 at Sarco and a Beretta at Rays within an hour of each other. When I first started, I knew I wanted 4 Different Guns and Ordered them all at the same time.

This is like needing a permit for a big mac, but you can only get one permit per month because you are too fat.

but you can only get one permit per month because you are too fat.

Nope, You can only get one permit a month because someone else has high cholesterol and heart problems.

FYI, I did 36 multiple handgun transfers last year, which acquaints to 17%. And I am small time.

Forget about putting handguns on consignment. Dealers are not exempt from purchasing one per month from anybody except other dealers. Not even manufacturers.

You can view the senate debate by going here (IE only): http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/media/arch ... SSION=2008

Seek to 5:01:00. It starts there. I haven't finished watching it, so far it's gone on for a while. There are good arguments against the bill being made by some of the Senators. They deserve calls/emails of thanks if you ask me.

--FCOD

Dealers are not exempt from purchasing one per month from anybody except other dealers. Not even manufacturers.

I don't understand... does that mean that as a dealer, you can only buy 1 gun of a particular model directly from a manufacturer no more than once a month? Or in total from a single manufacturer? Or in total from all manufacturers? What about from wholesalers?

I'm very puzzled.

K

I agree 100% that the law is ridiculous and is a restriction on our rights. I was just saying that I am more upset about the concept of the law than the reality of the law, since it won't realistically affect most people. And by the way, there's no way that it would save even one life.

--FCOD

FCOD stated exactly my point from an earlier post. It is the concept of this law that makes my blood boil because it is unethical, unconstitutional, and pretty much criminal. I am upset with the government, but I am also pretty upset with the general public for letting this continue without saying much of anything (of course not talking about this forum, but the "forum" in general).

If the Feds let the states exercise restrictions on rights (not privileges), then I want the Feds to detail every arms transaction they make, or in the bills passed, to other countries. I want to see PDFs of serial numbers and confirmed arrival of shipments to said countries. (Then things like this would not happen http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6932710.stm.) I wonder if it would be possible for the Feds to release that info through the FOIA.

Well I got the email from the NRA and decided to take their advice and send all the senators who voted "No", a thank you note. I got this back from Senator Singer's office in 8 minutes:

Singer, Sen. D.O. Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 2:14 PM

To: coldsolderjoint :-P

Thank you for your support. We really tried.

Bob Singer

RE: Thank You For S1174.

1 message

Pennacchio, Sen. D.O. Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 3:02 PM

To: ***

Dear Mr. ***:

I was pleased to support your position and vote against S-1774.

For your further information, data compiled between 1995-2001 shows over

99% of guns the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

traced back to New Jersey were sold individually and were not part of

multiple gun purchases.

Again, thank you for contacting me on this important issue. Your input

is always welcome and considered.

Sincerely yours,

Joe Pennacchio

Senator -- District 26

New Jersey Sucks!!!!!!!

I'm so upset, I am not allowing myself to type anything about this for another few days, or maybe weeks, depends.......

I have looked at Real Estate in North Carolina, South Carolina, and Virginia today.

My wife and I have had enough !!!!!