Melgamatic

New Jersey Senate to Vote on One-Gun-A-Month Tomorrow

Just got this alert from the NRA-ILA:

Under the direction of Governor Jon Corzine (D) and with little notice to the public to ensure that New Jersey sportsmen and gun owners were not prepared to defend their Second Amendment rights from gun rationing schemes; the New Jersey State Senate today added S1774 "One Gun-A-Month" to tomorrow's voting agenda.

Simply stated, this bill would prohibit an individual from purchasing more than one handgun within a 30-day period. The state already requires an individual to first obtain a permit to purchase

District 5 Dana Redd is a co sponsor of this bill. I will still give her office a call. This is the email I just sent:

I am writing to express my concern over your co sponsorship of S1774 and the tricky tactics in which it was slipped into tomorrow's Senate session. Gun owners who obey the law by jumping through the appropriate hoops in order to purchase a hand gun should not be punished because of criminals illegal possession of weapons. This law will be as effective as all the other asinine NJ gun laws. It will only affect people who use guns for sport, hunting, or protecting their family from home invasion. As my State Senator I am asking you to protect the rights afforded to me by the second amendment of the US Constitution and remove your name from this bill and vote against it tomorrow.

Last time this came up before the committee, the secretary who answered the phone said she had been busy for 4 days answering phones and couldn't get any work done.

I would think that phone calls are much more effective than emails because someone has to deal with you right there and then. Emails can wait, or be deleted by the hundreds.

When the secretary can't get her work done, you would be sure she's going to complain to the Senator, and it's going to make an impact.

It's really easy to call as well. You don't need to write out a speech or anything. Just say you want the senator to vote no on s1774 and then leave your name, address and telephone number.

The secretary doesn't really want to hear your speech anyways.

I just sent this to my senator:

I am writing to express my concern over S1774. As you know, New Jersey has the toughest gun laws in the nation. Extensive background checks are already performed before the purchase of any firearms with extra permits required for handguns. The passage of this bill would further restrict law abiding citizens from exercising their Constitutional rights. Criminals will not follow laws. I urge you to vote against this bill.

This is more feel good legislation, it will do nothing other than frustrate an already frustrated.

It takes 5 months to kick in if passed, and you know there are going to be a friggin ton of permits filed if this thing passes...I kinda doubt it that it will pass.

I did call and annoy my senator today.

I emailed and called like I do for every bill eventhough my reps always vote for the exact opposite.

Maybe tomorrow will be different???????

I hate Corzine.

I hate bleeding heart liberals (especially the ones from NJ).

I hate living in this state.

I will leave sooner than later if not for the gun laws alone.

How did this happen to America?

The bill is very straightforward. One handgun per 30-day period unless you're a licensed collector, LEO, or transferring between licensed retailers. The Assembly already passed it last year, so my guess is that the Senate will also pass it. Just another freedom being taken away.

Apparently you can listen live but it doesn't seem to be working: http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/media/live_audio.asp

--FCOD

*IF* this passes, I wonder if they will reduce the maximum number of PP's per application from 4 down to 3. Being they are only valid for 90 days, 1 purchase every 30 days x 3 = 90 days, thus eliminating a chance to use the 4th PP. Unless you apply for an extention of course.

It's also a myth that your references can't be related to you. It DOES say that on the form, which is illegal. If you read the actual statute it makes no such requirement and then says that any restrictions on the application form that are not specifically outlined in the statute are illegal.

What a great state!

--FCOD