Bomber

Heating oil tank removal?

Any one have experience or recommendations with removing an in-ground residential heating oil tank?

Our tank isn't leaking that I'm aware of but we want to covert to NG.

However, I'm finding that to be covered with a voluntary pull you must first install an above ground tank and continue using fuel oil for a period of time, then you can have the underground tank removed.

Tank insurance is $654 with a $3500 deductible and due in August. Who knows what an above tank install costs, plus another fuel delivery just to get to the point to spend another $2000 to pull the tank.  

Are you trying to get the state to pay for it? 

Anyone can pull an inground tank for about 2k if it's not leaking and it's a clean pull, permits and inspections and critical. I have not seen any requirements to install another tank above ground and used for a period of time. 

I think the state runs a program to "move" the tank from under ground to above ground.. some restrictions apply because they don't want to fund people removing the tanks for alternative fuel sources which would eat away at the funds primary purpose. 

I've done a few projects requiring permits around the house, your best bet it to just call the building and permitting department in your town and ask them for any and all information on removing an inground tank. 

12 hours ago, Bomber said:

Any one have experience or recommendations with removing an in-ground residential heating oil tank?

Our tank isn't leaking that I'm aware of but we want to covert to NG.

However, I'm finding that to be covered with a voluntary pull you must first install an above ground tank and continue using fuel oil for a period of time, then you can have the underground tank removed.

Tank insurance is $654 with a $3500 deductible and due in August. Who knows what an above tank install costs, plus another fuel delivery just to get to the point to spend another $2000 to pull the tank.  

Sounds like a LOT of work.  I had no idea so much was required.

My last house had a dcomissioned tank in the ground when we bought it (with proper paperwork) but when I went to sell it 12 years later I was required to remove the old tank.  I was obviously nervous, but it went off without any issues.

Make sure to get EVERYTHING signed off on so you don't get sued in the future.

4 hours ago, JackDaWack said:

Are you trying to get the state to pay for ?

No 

We have a tank insurance policy, they require an above ground tank be installed and continue using oil for a period IF we want to be in compliance with their service agreement (i.e. covered by their insurance) if the tank is pulled and found to be leaking and a costly spill needs clean up. 

Basically, the policy that we've been paying for many years makes you jump through a lot of expensive hoops if you want to convert to NG and not risk losing your shirt in the process of removing the old tank.

2 hours ago, Bklynracer said:

Try talking to your NG supplier, If I remember right, when we had a house in the Bronx, we contacted ConEd and they got all the permits, took old oil unit out and installed new gas unit, also had a payment option.

Yes, they offer that but they don't get involved in removing underground oil tanks.

6 hours ago, Tunaman said:

I used a company called Steve Rich Environmental.  They charged me 1200 bucks and there was zero problems. I would use them again in a heart beat.

I called and spoke to Glenn, very helpful and informative going over the options available.

He said based on my situation the chances are small the tank would fail inspection and I should just go ahead and pull it now. 

I also could spend $600 or $1200 to have soil tests done beforehand to check for contamination. The latter involves excavating under the tank and comes with $20,000 coverage if there is an undetected spill that needs remediation.

On the other hand, I would have to spend around $3000 to comply with the Proguard insurance service agreement and may have to wait another year to be eligible after this renewal. Plus a $3500 deductible and $500 fee to have their rep come out at the removal. 

1 hour ago, Bomber said:

I called and spoke to Glenn, very helpful and informative going over the options available.

He said based on my situation the chances are small the tank would fail inspection and I should just go ahead and pull it now. 

I also could spend $600 or $1200 to have soil tests done beforehand to check for contamination. The latter involves excavating under the tank and comes with $20,000 coverage if there is an undetected spill that needs remediation.

On the other hand, I would have to spend around $3000 to comply with the Proguard insurance service agreement and may have to wait another year to be eligible after this renewal. Plus a $3500 deductible and $500 fee to have their rep come out at the removal. 

They really did good by me.  We went on the assumption all was well and it was.  They were tidy and quick,  and were gone by 5-6:00.  I did alot of research and came up with these guys.  For the money they cant be beat. 

The tank has been in the ground for almost 70 years.  I think they poked it with a metal rod before they pulled it and you could tell it sounded like a solid 1/4".  I suspect you will have the same and no problems. If it was leaking you would have noticed on your oil fill bill.  Have confidence .  You'll be fine. Pull it.  I went with the Peerless gas boiler and had the auto fill installed with it.  It was only a couple of grand and the install was a few grand with running the new gas pipe to it and all that.  Zero maintenance execpt for draining the rust once in a while.  You have the old steam radiators?

2 hours ago, Tunaman said:

The tank has been in the ground for almost 70 years.  I think they poked it with a metal rod before they pulled it and you could tell it sounded like a solid 1/4".  I suspect you will have the same and no problems. If it was leaking you would have noticed on your oil fill bill.  Have confidence .  You'll be fine. Pull it. 

Wow 70 years, our tank is mid 1960's.

Pulling it now is the way I'm leaning.  We don't have plans to sell and Glenn explained that even if there was leak the owner is not under obligation to do remediation.

Could be a problem selling the house of course with an open case but at least the tank would be out and I'd have time to decide what to do.