ESB

Recommend semi-auto tactical shotgun for HD

Would like one that has ~18.5" barrel, 6+1 rounds tube fed, gas operated not inertia, ability to add red dot, light and sling (even if via aftermarket).  

Remington V3 Tactical seems to fit the bill, but would need to seek aftermarket to add red dot, light and sling.  

Any other options or recommendations?  

At the lower end, the Mossberg 930 is a solid workhorse.  (I have one for sale in the WTS section, if you're interested.)

If you want to spend a little more, you will love the Beretta 1301 Tactical.  I don't have Beretta's A300 Tactical Patrol, but I've heard good things about it, and it goes for around $200 less than the 1301.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, ESB said:

The Baretta's are listed as a 7+1.  How do you acquire a 6+1 version to be legal in NJ?  

Mine is 5+1, and there's really not much point in adding an extension tube, as the smallest are two rounds, so one would have to block it at one to get to a total of 6+1.  Also, some come with a pistol grip, which of course is a no-go on an SA shotgun in NJ. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

Put a plug in the tube.

Does the plug have to be permanently installed somehow?  Or can I just 3D print a plug and put it in?  Also how would someone purchase a 7+1 Semi in NJ?  Bring the plug to the FFL when you pick it up so that its NJ Legal when you leave with it?     

its a little different from what you listed, i just picked up one a RIA VR80,  basically a 12 gauge AR.

can do everything you asked and does not recoil that much.  also very familiar if one does have an AR platform. 

put a red dot on mine and its great.  good luck in the search!

https://www.armscor.com/firearms-list/vr80-5rd-12

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, antimatter said:

its a little different from what you listed, i just picked up one a RIA VR80,  basically a 12 gauge AR.

can do everything you asked and does not recoil that much.  also very familiar if one does have an AR platform. 

put a red dot on mine and its great.  good luck in the search!

https://www.armscor.com/firearms-list/vr80-5rd-12

I've seen the VR80 and really like it other than the 20" barrel.  It's pretty long so not sure why they didn't put an 18.5" barrel on something marketed for home defense.  But I already have a mag fed pump shotgun (Black Aces Tactical) and want a tube fed semi-auto.  

3 hours ago, ESB said:

Does the plug have to be permanently installed somehow?  Or can I just 3D print a plug and put it in?  Also how would someone purchase a 7+1 Semi in NJ?  Bring the plug to the FFL when you pick it up so that its NJ Legal when you leave with it?     

You would have to speak with your FFL. The plug would need to be pinned or glued somehow to make it compliant before the FFL can release the gun to you.  

• Like 1

1301 is 6+1 3 inch shells, not 2 3/4. You could put probably 12 mini's in it, wouldn't function properly, but could do it. This doesn't make it illegal for sale in NJ. Have one, hanging on the wall right now.... Not the hand grip tactical version obviously. and it has 3 inch shells, 6 plus one ghost, I don't like chambered rounds.