revenger

3rd circuit victory 18-20 yo can carry

I can't bring myself to watch a 12 minute video for 1 minute of information.  So, for those of you who were blessed with more patience than I have, how does this affect us in NJ?

Normally, I thought a 3rd circuit decision like this would force NJ to start issuing permits to 18 year olds but I haven't read that anywhere.

14 hours ago, maintenanceguy said:

I can't bring myself to watch a 12 minute video for 1 minute of information.  So, for those of you who were blessed with more patience than I have, how does this affect us in NJ?

Normally, I thought a 3rd circuit decision like this would force NJ to start issuing permits to 18 year olds but I haven't read that anywhere.

It does not directly effect New Jersey, except for the third circuit court siding with gun owners.

14 hours ago, maintenanceguy said:

The ruling doesn't even force PA to start issuing permits to 18-20 year olds. What it does is prohibit law enforcement from arresting or charging 18-20 year olds from open carrying during a state of emergency. 18-20 year olds could already open carry without a permit when there was no state of emergency declared.

PA statute says you can open carry without a permit, unless there is a state of emergency in effect. If there is a state of emergency, you need a PA LTCF to carry open or concealed. It became an issue when Governor Wolf declared a state of emergency due to an opioid epidemic, and then for the Covid19 epidemic. The PA legislator has since curtailed the Governor's ability to declare sustained states of emergency.

• Informative 1

8 hours ago, Mr.Stu said:

The ruling doesn't even force PA to start issuing permits to 18-20 year olds. What it does is prohibit law enforcement from arresting or charging 18-20 year olds from open carrying during a state of emergency. 18-20 year olds could already open carry without a permit when there was no state of emergency declared.

PA statute says you can open carry without a permit, unless there is a state of emergency in effect. If there is a state of emergency, you need a PA LTCF to carry open or concealed. It became an issue when Governor Wolf declared a state of emergency due to an opioid epidemic, and then for the Covid19 epidemic. The PA legislator has since curtailed the Governor's ability to declare sustained states of emergency.

Thank you for the explanation.

14 hours ago, father-of-three said:

It does not directly effect New Jersey, except for the third circuit court siding with gun owners.

I think more significant than the age restriction issue, is the court established that lawful firearms owners can not be denied the ability to pack heat during a SOE.  Whether open or permitted.  This affects more than a handful of PA teens.  It cuts off at the pass, the kind of gun confiscating BS that happened during Katrina.

10 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

I think more significant than the age restriction issue, is the court established that lawful firearms owners can not be denied the ability to pack heat during a SOE.  Whether open or permitted.  This affects more than a handful of PA teens.  It cuts off at the pass, the kind of gun confiscating BS that happened during Katrina.

I agree that there are potential positive implications beyond Pennsylvania.  Here's the pafoa.org thread that discusses it further:

https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=403227