Dr. Goodshot

Can you unlock a door with a gun?

After practicing and training with guns for a few years now, I now understand that what you see on TV isn't real, especially when it pertains to guns. One thing I see a lot on cop shows and the like is a person with a gun getting into a locked room by shooting the lock. Sometimes it's a padlock, and other times it's the lock in a door.
Does that really work? Can you really open a room or a locked case by shooting out the lock with a gun?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mr.Stu said:

Shotgun? Maybe.

I assure you, if it’s not a steel door, it’s a yes.

1HEJeXe.jpg

1 hour ago, Dr. Goodshot said:

After practicing and training with guns for a few years now, I now understand that what you see on TV isn't real, especially when it pertains to guns. One thing I see a lot on cop shows and the like is a person with a gun getting into a locked room by shooting the lock. Sometimes it's a padlock, and other times it's the lock in a door.
Does that really work? Can you really open a room or a locked case by shooting out the lock with a gun?

For a padlock, it’s faster to use a soda can.

5 hours ago, Dr. Goodshot said:

Generally, yes.  I've been witness to.several instances. But it depends.  Wood doors easier.  Steel doors maybe. Heard of a guy who was security at an illegal drug lab with a steel.door..  Armed with.a sawed off.12 gauge loaded.with.birdshot. Cops came with a warrant.  He tried to shoot the cops through the door.  Only successful in shooting himself with ricocheted birdshot.

.Never saw a padlock that didn't quit after 1 or 2.357s.  Don't ask me how i.know.

People shoot locks on YT all the time. You have to damage a padlock enough that the pin is not stuck in the shackle any more and depending on the construction that can be easy or hard. The crappy locks that are just a stack of riveted plates are more towards “easy”.

A door lock probably not, you’d destroy the lock cylinder but the bolt is still in place and now there’s no more way to retract it. Of course…if you compromise the section of door that contains the lock (or hinge) that’s a different story - but technically that lock is still locked, isn’t it?

Then there’s this…https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIMON_breach_grenade

On 2/16/2024 at 2:33 PM, High Exposure said:

I assure you, if it’s not a steel door, it’s a yes.

1HEJeXe.jpg

For a padlock, it’s faster to use a soda can.

Right.  You are shooting and destroying the frame around the deadbolt.  Not shooting the lock itself.  Allows you to open the door with deadlock still extended is my understanding.