ESB

Emergency or SHTF Radio Frequencies

On 4/4/2024 at 10:09 AM, JohnnyB said:

That set had everything, including the cable.  I downloaded the Chirp software and used it to program both radios. I watched this guy's videos on You tube. After a few hours I got bored with them and they are back in the box, fully charged in case I ever find a need for them.

I bought them too. Did you download the latest version of Chirp from the website? That didn't work for me with the USB-radio cable provided. It refused to recognize the radios, or the older Baofeng I have. I had to install the Chirp version on the included CD. Then it worked fine, although the named model numbers didn't always match up exactly.

I searched online and there were comments about the chip in the USB cable head not having compatible drivers, or something to that effect.

2 hours ago, 45Doll said:

I searched online and there were comments about the chip in the USB cable head not having compatible drivers, or something to that effect.

I had to get three different cables and try a couple versions of chirp before I found a combo that worked on my radios.

5 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

I had to get three different cables and try a couple versions of chirp before I found a combo that worked on my radios.

OK. This is the Chirp version that was on the mini-CD that came with the radio. It works with the USB cable that was also included. When I run it, it wants to upgrade, but I won't let it.

image.png.f534d29d388ad02abec9fda487128dc8.png

https://chirpmyradio.com/projects/chirp/wiki/ChirpNextBuild

I could not figure out the stupid CD but I downloaded Chirp and it works great with both of my radios and the USB that came with the kit. Here's the version I use. I watched a bunch of stuff on You tube and most people said "Don't use Chirp" to download Chirp-Next instead.  I put the link above and it explains why and what the differences are.

Chirp.JPG

1 hour ago, 45Doll said:

This is the Chirp version

The versions I used were downloaded from some popular ham website.  I was able to program five radios with four labeled channels.  My radios are capable of advanced settings, but I like to keep it simple bcuz I'm stoopid.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

I could not figure out the stupid CD but I downloaded Chirp and it works great with both of my radios and the USB that came with the kit. Here's the version I use.

Chirp.JPG

Interesting. Here's the version I downloaded first off the website; the one that didn't work: chirp-next-20240404-installer It's not installed, so that is the name of the download file. Looks like yours is a month older.

I didn't see much difference between versions, at least with the versions I've installed. As long as one of them works I'm good.

I did load one of the new radios with the provided GMRS-FRS files. Boom, all 22 channels in place. And I did apply for a GMRS license, to go with my Amateur Extra.

2 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

Interesting. Here's the version I downloaded first off the website; the one that didn't work: chirp-next-20240404-installer It's not installed, so that is the name of the download file. Looks like yours is a month older.

I didn't see much difference between versions, at least with the versions I've installed. As long as one of them works I'm good.

I did load one of the new radios with the provided GMRS-FRS files. Boom, all 22 channels in place. And I did apply for a GMRS license, to go with my Amateur Extra.

I added a link to my post. You did do the FACTORY reset thingy with the 3 buttons, right? They come locked out for tx on some frequencies.

Alright. The following is with the Baofeng UV-5R radio.

I downloaded this Chirp file (chirp-next-20240413-installer), which is nine days newer than the first one I downloaded that didn't work. (chirp-next-20240404-installer)

I installed it and confirmed what I got:

image.png.c6bf3e99000e58b58849a1f6cb9eadcf.png

This version now has a completely different dialogue than the one nine days ago, and works with the UV-5R and the USB-radio cable that came with it. Specifically, it permitted me to select the USB-Com3 interface to connect the radio.

What a difference nine days makes.

And yes, I did a factory reset just for ha-ha's.

On 4/12/2024 at 11:21 PM, Buck Russell said:

I’m licensed.  I was asking them what their plan is…..there won’t be anyone to talk to if they don’t know what they’re doing. 

How does obtaining a GMRS license let you know what people are doing?  What is your plan?