ESB

Emergency or SHTF Radio Frequencies

Assuming someone has a programmable radio (think Baofeng), what frequencies should they program to listen to for info in Emergency or SHTF situations? 

What frequencies should they use to communicate if they have an emergency and need help from others? Ie.  Are their any frequencies that are usually monitored? 

What frequency ranges would be good to communicate with friends/neighbors several miles away (but out of range of traditional GMRS/FRS)?  Assume they all will get licenses.   

ESB, you can make your own chirp file with the repeaters near you quickly and easily by copying and pasting the list that you’ll make when you put your address into RepeaterBook.com  

stretch your search parameters to 50+ miles, buy a better antenna, think tactical antenna, and you’ll get some range out of it.

28 minutes ago, xXxplosive said:

Could anyone suggest a set of reliable radios to purchase...looking to buy a set.....thanks.

I picked up a pair of Baofeng UV-5R8W transceivers on Amazon for $65.  link here https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BZ8CWQGX?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

JohnnyB, did you buy a programming cable?  If not, get one.  It’ll make this so much easier. Next, I’ll encourage you to get your ham radio license.  You can study for a few hours on hamexam.org and you’ll pass.  It’ll cost you $35 I think but it’s worth it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Buck Russell said:

JohnnyB, did you buy a programming cable?  If not, get one.  It’ll make this so much easier. Next, I’ll encourage you to get your ham radio license.  You can study for a few hours on hamexam.org and you’ll pass.  It’ll cost you $35 I think but it’s worth it.

That set had everything, including the cable.  I downloaded the Chirp software and used it to program both radios. I watched this guy's videos on You tube. After a few hours I got bored with them and they are back in the box, fully charged in case I ever find a need for them.

46 minutes ago, xXxplosive said:

What kind of range do you get.........

Not yet tested but these have 8 watts instead of the usual 4 watts transmit power. They come FRS channels available but the GMRS channels come locked for transmitting as an FCC license is required to use those.  Holding down 3 buttons while turning on the radio does a factory reset and unlocks all the channels.

You will not find a better bang for the bucks than this set!:)

• Agree 1

“8 watts”……well, I’ve got bad news for you.  It’s very unlikely you’ll get 8 watts…in any case range in flat jersey…you might get 15 miles if you’re lucky.  Better bang for your buck?  I think the Quansheng radio is a better radio but it’s a bit more difficult to program.

my next question for you guys is what your plan is for them?  Who are you going to talk to?  What makes you think those people will be on their radio when you are?  Why would they talk to you?  

2 hours ago, xXxplosive said:

What kind of range do you get.........

This is a complicated question to answer with no short easy explanation.  The interwebs already has hundreds of websites with good explanations.  Try searching "two way radio range" and you will have hours upon hours of reading that will answer all of your questions.

20 minutes ago, Buck Russell said:

my next question for you guys is what your plan is for them?  Who are you going to talk to?  What makes you think those people will be on their radio when you are?  Why would they talk to you?  

There is nobody to talk to! They are a SHTF walkie talkie set that will stay in the box, hopefully forever!

For those who do not have experience with two way radio beyond GI Joe walkie-talkies, y'all need to understand something if you are planning on using radio comms in a SHTF scenario.  A single $30.00 BeefWang is not going to save you from anything. 

You need a plan, base stations, repeaters, mobiles and a network of trained (and trusted) individuals to support a SHTF comms scheme.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

7 hours ago, Buck Russell said:

Those of us with ham radio licenses……..

And also those with a free, no test GMRS license.  If the S hits the F, ham operators will surely be busy, probably just as busy as GMRS operators.  Each band of the spectrum will have its role to play.

• Agree 1

On 4/4/2024 at 11:59 AM, Buck Russell said:

My next question for you guys is what your plan is for them?  Who are you going to talk to?  What makes you think those people will be on their radio when you are?  Why would they talk to you?  

Get a ~$100 Uniden Bearcat scanner to find conversations on the airwaves.  Program that frequency into your Baofeng in frequency mode and you can talk back.  FYI, they may not respond or may chastise you if you do not sound like you have a license.  But hopefully in a SHTF situation, they won't be doucheholes.  

61bE7T-RjEL._AC_SL1500_.jpg