Redeye65

Lever guns

Hoping to get some conversation going on lever guns, likes, dislikes, opinions.

Own three levers, first was a Henry all weather 30/30, purchased to deer hunt with my cousin, not a lot to say about this one, classic deer gun, installed a 1-4 scope, rubber sling to minimize slipping, very accurate, three hunts two deer, this was the rifle that started the obsession.

Second purchased was a Henry .357, side gate, round barrel, blued receiver. Buckhorn sights and I just don’t get along, started with a skinner peep, had to install a taller front sight, just couldn’t get that zero even with the taller front sight. Switched to a Ranger Point Precision peep, sits lower, was able to drop the height on the front, zeroed just fine now. Action is like butter and a hot knife, zero issues. I get many compliments when I shoot this rifle.

My last purchase was the Rossi .357, 16 inch barrel, blued receiver, fit and finish was much less than the Henry, also almost half the price, installed a Steve’s Guz peep on this one, worked with the factory front sight, cleaned up the internals with some buffing compound, smoothed the load gate out with some sand paper. Runs really well for a $560 rifle, have not had and issues, runs 38 special all day long and .357. Shoot a lot of 38 special with this one, one of my favorites at the range.

Next I have my sights set on a S&W 1854, comes with a factory peep and pic rail for a dot or scope, handled it in a store and liked it very much, figure it can double as a range toy and deer gun. Just need the price to settle down, so new, it’s MSRP or better.  

Very happy with my Winchester 94s - both post-'64, and my Brazilian 92 copy in .357.  All are stone-stock and shoot very well.  They are just about perfect woods rifles for deer; light, carry easily, and shoot true.

I've been tempted to add some leather bits - a buttstock cover and perhaps leather-wrap the levers.

One thing I have found - my hand is much too big for the "standard" lever loop.  When shooting, I wrap my hand around both the stock and the outside of the lever loop. 

The '92 came with an expanded/enlarged loop - Its a bit more awkward to carry, but easier to shoot

1 hour ago, Redeye65 said:

Next I have my sights set on a S&W 1854,

Have you seen the Marlin Dark series?  They look pretty slick.

I have a couple lever guns, both Marlin, a 336A 30-30, and a 39D 22lr.  I absolutely love the 39D, very accurate and easy to shoot with iron sights. I am typically a terrible off-hand shooter, especially with open sights.  But for some reason, I can shoot really well with it.

The 336 is another story, It's a fine example for a rifle made in 1974.  It's possible the gun was unfired when I bough it, there was almost no wear on it and a couple very very light handling marks.  Seemed like the original owner racked the lever a few times and closeted the rifle until it ended up in my hands. 

I put a few rounds through it on the bench testing accuracy.  It grouped well enough for a deer rifle, but I was not impressed.  I'm kinda an accuracy junkie.  It was also very much NOT fun to shoot it off bags. In fact, it was a little painful.  Off hand wasn't much better.  I'm not gonna shoot a rifle I don't enjoy shooting. 

I'm holding on to the 336 as an investment.  It's already tripled in value.  The 39D has gone up 5 times what I paid for it.  That was another barely used gem.  The 39D is one of the last rifles I'd ever sell, it's just so damned easy to shoot.

I wouldn't mind owning a 357 mag lever gun. In NJ these kind of guns are just for shits n giggles, so it's low on my list unless a crazy deal too good to pass up comes my way.

The classic series catches my eye, I need to handle one in person to see if the hooded front post helps with my bad eyes.

Sweet setup on both High Exposure, trying to make the clay shoot coming up, looking forward to meeting everyone.  

Where does everyone host their pictures to post, I would post a few of my rifles.  

I have a henry 22 which is a blast.  Super smooth action and cheap to run.  Haven't had a single issue with it. Eats every type of ammo.  

I also own a henry long ranger express in .223. Don't love the gun at all.  I think it's a bit heavier than i want in a lever gun.  I really bought it incase I move to some state with even worse gun laws.  I'll probably stick to pistol calibers in the future though. 

Wanted a big bore lever action so I bought the .444 Marlin in 1982 as my first lever action.  I thought a cartridge in the Marlin name would be cool. I was never disappointed. Great round but becoming hard to find and no longer cheap. With hand loaded 265 gr. FP’s @ 2300 fps it will group 1 1/2” for five shots at 100 yards from a benchrest. I’ve added early Marlin’s over the years in .30-30, .35 Rem., a Browning BLR in .257 Roberts, Dad’s Win. 94 in .32 Win. Spcl., and Savage 99’s in .300 Savage. 

19 minutes ago, Redeye65 said:

How do you like the BLR?

I love mine. Unique chambering and very accurate. Not the Belgium BLR but the first of the Miroku’s, BLR-81 w/steel receiver. I’ve had it since the early 80’s.