Ricebrnr

Visiting from Michigan question

Hi all, I've reviewed NJ's firearms laws and I am confused.

I am visiting from Michigan in August and wanted to see if I could bring my pistol. I have a concealed pistol license in MI and understand that I will NOT be able to carry in NJ BUT from reading the NJ laws I thought I would at least be able to have it in the hotel at night.

I

Welcome to our prison,uh I mean state, lol. You can transport a handgun in NJ. It must be in a locked case, kept seperate from the ammo. Keep the gun in your trunk and the ammo in the car. Be sure to bring a copy of your pistol permit, it makes it much easier if you do get questioned. You can have hollow points also.

So wait....you are confused by NJ's laws??? But they clearly state, "you can't have anything".

What don't you understand???

lol, all kidding aside, NJ laws ARE very confusing. We look at them constantly just to try and figure out the gray areas and we, er atleast I, am totally confused. Most of them contradict each other, and loopholes are everywhere. I can just imagine how an outsider views them. Isn't it sad?

Not the permit, but the copy of bill of sale. The pink sheet or photocopy of it.

But since you since you don't have a NJ FID, you're limited to transporting from your home, to an NRA sanctioned event, and back again. General transportation around the state, even if locked in trunk is prohibited. You can contact the state police and get an exception, but good luck. Even we can go back and forth the range with it in the trunk, but no unreasonable stops. So we can't just drive around with em.

No bill of sale but I do have Michigan's version of a registration card (aka Safety inspection).

Still as the last poster suggested, I don't believe I'll be able to transport it from the PA line to my hotel room and keep it there.

I don't plan on having it driving around except coming in and going home.

Thanks for the replies, keep them coming.

I'm pretty sure this falls in the same category as if one of us were to take our pistol into NY state. Because technically were not legally allowed to have a pistol in NY we are not allowed to have one in the state unless we are passing through. If you plan to stop and stay then its not allowed. I would think it would be the same case with you coming to NJ b/c legally you are not a NJ resident so therefore you are not legally allowed to own a hand gun in NJ therefore you can not possess one.

http://www.njsp.org/about/fire_trans.html

If you go to that link, there two topics. One is for transporting a gun into the state. One is for transporting a gun through the state. From what I read, it doesn't say you can take the gun out of your car so you can't bring it into your hotel room. It also says you can't make any stops unless necessary and as far as I'm aware that includes pretty much gas and thats it so staying at a hotel probably wouldn't cut it either.

Thats my understanding.

federal law allows you to transport a firearm thru any state as long as it is legal at point of departure + destination - must be unloaded + cased - unless you are shooting at a match in n.j. or a cartridge collector hollow points would be a touchy issue -

I agree with S-J, and having hollow points is just asking for trouble. Heck, although legal to have in your home and SD weapon, God forbid you have to use it, the prosecutor would argue that you were looking for an opportunity to kill somebody.

Yea, I agree with the consensus. Don't give this Soprano State the excuse to nip you on the butt. Its not about logic, but what officials have to gain from the exploitation of the citizen(s). Best of luck.

Hi all, I've reviewed NJ's firearms laws and I am confused.

Congrats. You're normal.

I am visiting from Michigan in August and wanted to see if I could bring my pistol. I have a concealed pistol license in MI and understand that I will NOT be able to carry in NJ BUT from reading the NJ laws I thought I would at least be able to have it in the hotel at night.

You are allowed to have a firearm in your residence. How long will you be residing there?

I

I'll only be staying only 3-4 days. We're driving from MI to NJ to visit family in NYC.

We'll be camping and such along the way to and/or from (in PA most likely) as well as making a stop in OH.

So I'd like to have my pistol for the 3 other states where I'll be for the other 6-7 days ...

I agree with the leaving it in the hotel not being the best idea, but the places we stay usually have an in room safe AND I can disassemble and lock the frame to something with a cable.

Last time I stayed in Jersey, there were kids in the room above us that thought it would be fun to sneak around the halls around 10 pm trying doors to see if any were unlocked...They were just kids and I called the front desk to take care of them but it sure would've been nice to have my side arm rather than just my flashlight and lapsed hand to hand skills in case it was worse.