Sign in to follow this  
Larain60

NJ Firearms permits: Dispelling cause of delay myths

As we all know turnaround time for permits vary from 1 -5 months and everywhere inbetween.

But what REALLY takes that long to be sent in to the police dept?

I needed to get fingerprinted to get a NJ State criminal background report on myself. I shit you not, I was electronically printed on Wed evening on livescan at Sagem morpum (cant spell it), and got the "no criminal record" letter from the state police in my mailbox today.

So what gives? What is the delay cause?

Reference letters, employer letter? Quick usually if your friends and employer are good.

Mental health check? Restraining order check? all that should be in the state at police HQ computers no?

I'm guessing because it isn't a hi-pri issue, fused with the fact that more responsibilities fall on less shoulders... I'm not a huge fan of the police, but I feel for them right now. So, they get to and through the pile(s) as they can.

it depends on the officer doing the permits, i have been able to get pistol permits in 2 weeks, last ones i applied for took 4 months but the officer was new at it and did not want to be in a rush, he apoligized to me for taking so long and said next time would be alot quicker he had it figured out..

the prints for sagem morphum checks against state police.

the prints for FID are not electronic, go to state police, and checked against FBI records.

the real delays are as I posted before... you have one detective who usually does permits... responsible for all of them! and guess what.... they have other duties as well.... traffic accidents, reports, investigations.