ronoverdrive

Friend moved from PA to NJ

AFAIK Ron, he doesn't 'need' his FID unless he plans on purchasing more firearms. In NJ a FID is needed only to purchase them, not to have them in ones house. I'm not sure on this tho so don't quote me ! lol

He doesn't need the FID to purchase rifle or shotgun ammo by law, but by practice he does. Dick's requires a FID for any ammo purchase, as do more and more independent dealers. Also, new gun concepts push more and more calibers into the pistol ammo world; 410 shells are clearly pistol ammo now thanks to the Judge.

He also needs a FID to shoot at most ranges, join all clubs, etc....

He doesn't need the FID to purchase rifle or shotgun ammo by law, but by practice he does. Dick's requires a FID for any ammo purchase, as do more and more independent dealers. Also, new gun concepts push more and more calibers into the pistol ammo world; 410 shells are clearly pistol ammo now thanks to the Judge.

He also needs a FID to shoot at most ranges, join all clubs, etc....

You don't need an FID to shoot at Cherry Ridge or to join ANJRPC.

As stated already, FID is for purchases only. I moved to this state and brought my guns with me, all perfectly legal.

I bought ammo online until I got my FID. Shrug.

At Citizens, if you were a NJ Resident, they required your FID.

But what was stated before... he doesnt need it per say by law, but he needs it in practice.

I was asked for my FID to buy 223 at dicks the other day.

but other things... make sure all his firearms are NJ compliant.

no 15 rounders, not on the list, flash hiders, bayo's.

I was told by employee's at Dick's that "single projectile ammo".. bullets and slugs need to "be in the book with your FID".. but multiple projectile "Birdshot and Buckshot" can be bought at will. It seems to be the practice at East Brunswick and Woodbridge.

I would not want to get caught with a gun in my posession outside the home without a FID as it is required to have. The charge is posession of a firearm without a FID. I know it happened to me years ago, when I was given an old Sears Single Shot 22 lever action. Lucky for me had not criminal history and was still in the Reserves and Worked in Security and also am an EMT so knew some people, but the gun was taken away.

So years later when I got back into shooting I made sure I do everything by the book.

I would not want to get caught with a gun in my posession outside the home without a FID as it is required to have. The charge is posession of a firearm without a FID. I know it happened to me years ago, when I was given an old Sears Single Shot 22 lever action. Lucky for me had not criminal history and was still in the Reserves and Worked in Security and also am an EMT so knew some people, but the gun was taken away.

So years later when I got back into shooting I made sure I do everything by the book.

You DO NOT need to have a FID to possess a firearm. You need it to purchase one or have one transferred to you (with the exception of firearms that are willed to you).

Mine Says "State of NJ Firearms Purchaser IDENTIFICATION CARD"

You DO NOT need to have a FID to possess a firearm. You need it to purchase one or have one transferred to you (with the exception of firearms that are willed to you).

Mine Says "State of NJ Firearms Purchaser IDENTIFICATION CARD"

+1 for the 1000 time.

ALSO, POSSESSION OF ALL FIREARMS IS ILLEGAL IN NJ, UNLESS ONE FALLS UNDER ONE OF THE EXEMPTIONS.

I am sorry, as I stand corrected. Other than it being willed to you from what I have read you would need the FID to aquire a firearm. In my youth, mine was given to me by a friend, so I was in the wrong.

I guess it would be just safer to have it for the most part.

Thanks for the heads up :D

I am sorry, as I stand corrected. Other than it being willed to you from what I have read you would need the FID to aquire a firearm. In my youth, mine was given to me by a friend, so I was in the wrong.

I guess it would be just safer to have it for the most part.

Thanks for the heads up :D

If you acquire them while a resident of another state, they are your property, and can bring them into NJ, assuming they are NJ-Compliant.

I just got this pointed out to me elsewhere: a FID functions as a license to posess for longarms, a License to Carry is required for possession of a handgun - but then there's the list of exemptions that allows up (for example) to possess in our homes, on the (direct) trip to the range, etc. So as long as he follows the restrictions we all have to for a handgun, he doesn't need a FID. Practically, of course, I wouldn't want (and don't) to go anywhere with any firearm without my FID.

It's worth noting that a FID is effectively a legal license to carry for longarms; you can posess outside the restrictions. I hope you have a good lawyer and a lot of money if you try it though.

I am NOT a lawyer - so don't go trying any of this in public

a gun owner moving to New Jersey?, that's like me going to a vegetarian joint, im the type that believes we are born with teeth for a reason. I hate my greens... bring on the burgers and pizza..

It's not impossible to be a gun owner in NJ; and I've acually converted at least one person to the side of Truth, Justice, and the American Way.

It will take exactly 1 change in NJ law to make NJ a pretty good place legally - and that's making the permits shall-issue on the spot; both license to carry and the FPID. Figure out some way to get rid of the f'ing stupid AWB after that.

Admittedly, that's going to take incorporation and success in the suit SAF just filed in DC about DCs unwillingness to issue carry permits; and then a couple of lawsuits. So it won't be easy.