Caine

Good Jeep mechanic in Northern Jersey?

Don't really know to be honest :) I picked up a used Cherokee about a month ago (without taking it to a mechanic first - dumb, I know), and it's got some odd things going on with it.

I'm pretty sure it needs to have the brakes bled, cuz the brakes are pretty spongy.

But the thing that's really buggin me is the position of the gas pedal in relation to the brake pedal. Gas pedal seems WAY too close to the firewall in my opinion. Either that or the brake pedal is way to high. With my foot just resting on the gas pedal I can pretty much slide my foot underneath the brake. Makes having to stop quickly a bit interesting :) I'm not sure if it's just how Jeep pedals are set up (never had one before) or if something is wrong with it.

Went thru the Haynes manual and can't find anything about adjusting brake height or gas pedal height, so figured a "professional" would know best.

But I have an inherent distrust of mechanics from previous bad experiences and was hoping someone here might know someone who's not gonna try to rip me off and find 30 other things wrong with it

Don't really know to be honest :) I picked up a used Cherokee about a month ago (without taking it to a mechanic first - dumb, I know), and it's got some odd things going on with it.

I'm pretty sure it needs to have the brakes bled, cuz the brakes are pretty spongy.

But the thing that's really buggin me is the position of the gas pedal in relation to the brake pedal. Gas pedal seems WAY too close to the firewall in my opinion. Either that or the brake pedal is way to high. With my foot just resting on the gas pedal I can pretty much slide my foot underneath the brake. Makes having to stop quickly a bit interesting :) I'm not sure if it's just how Jeep pedals are set up (never had one before) or if something is wrong with it.

Went thru the Haynes manual and can't find anything about adjusting brake height or gas pedal height, so figured a "professional" would know best.

But I have an inherent distrust of mechanics from previous bad experiences and was hoping someone here might know someone who's not gonna try to rip me off and find 30 other things wrong with it

My mechanic is a solid and honest guy and subsequently he's busy as a long tailed cat in a room full of old ladies in rocking chairs. Probably a bit further than you'd want to go...he's in Bloomingdale.

Well, I am a Service Writer @ Norman Gale Buick / Pontiac / GMC in Cedar Knolls right where Rt287 and State rd 10 meet.....

We have a good group of techs and hopefully you guys would trust me....

I have no issues working on freinds vehicles here, and long as it comes with the understanding I will do the best we can here....

It is a dealership, so our labor rate might be higher then what some guys are looking to pay...

We try to run the place like a small town dealer, and have a nice following...

PM me if you want...

Most common reason for a spongy brake pedal on your vehicle will be leaking rear brake cylinders. The positioning of the accelerator pedal vs the brake pedal is characteristic of this vehicle.

Tom is right about the brake pedal position. Do the brakes feel like they go too far to the floor when you apply them. That could be your master cylinder has a broken seal. If that's the case you want to take it to a mechanic very soon and go lightly on the brakes. The master cylinder has one redundant seal. If you go through the second one, you have no brakes. As someone who once drove through his own garage door because he was waiting until payday to buy a new m.c., I am speaking from experience.

The positioning of the accelerator pedal vs the brake pedal is characteristic of this vehicle.

Really? Who's bright idea was that :lol:

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Gonna take a closer look at the brakes. Garage doors are expensive :lol: Maybe I should just drive the damned thing more and get used to its "quirks"

Your vehicle has drum brakes if they are not adjusted properly or if the rear brake cylinders are leaking this will give you a spongy brake pedal. If you are mechanically capable, pull the rear wheels off, remove the brake drums and check if the rear wheel cylinders are leaking. Also as Lunker stated if your brake pedal sinks to the floor and recovers when you pump it, it could be your master cylinder.

They def don't sink to the floor. They just don't feel "crisp" for lack of a better word. I'll hit the brakes and they'll engage fine, but it feels like the car takes an extra 5-10 feet to stop, if that makes sense.

Cherokee brakes were never the greatest. Sounds like the rears are not adjusted properly. when adjusted you will have a nice firm pedal, stopping distances are not great but typical of an SUV, the Cherokee is worse when it's wet outside the rear brakes can lock up, most of the Cherokees did not come with ABS. As a complete package they were pretty good vehicles drive and learn the vehicle.

Good Luck Be Safe!

If your wheel cylinders are leaking 9 out of 10 times you will not need to pull the wheel off to see it, just bend down and look at the inside face of the wheel and if leaking you will see that it is wet. A spongy feeling is usually a sign that the breaks need to be bled, I would start there.

As for the gas pedal/brake pedal proximity, If it really bothers you, I would see if there is another ???well I dont know what it is called but I will try to explain- attached to the gas pedal is an L shaped metal piece that is attached to the pedal on one end the middle pivots on the floor and the top is attached to throttle cable, If possible to bend or replace with different one(L shaped) it would accomplish what you are looking for..

dont know thought I would throw it out there.

Totally not vehicle specific, but may work....or at least you can see pics of arm I speak of...

http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/99pedals.htm

Well, I am a Service Writer @ Norman Gale Buick / Pontiac / GMC in Cedar Knolls right where Rt287 and State rd 10 meet.....

We have a good group of techs and hopefully you guys would trust me....

I have no issues working on freinds vehicles here, and long as it comes with the understanding I will do the best we can here....

It is a dealership, so our labor rate might be higher then what some guys are looking to pay...

We try to run the place like a small town dealer, and have a nice following...

PM me if you want...

+1 for honesty....although troy never worked on my car, I have dealt with him in the past on other things....very honest guy and trustworthy. I would definitley trust him with my cars.

heh did you really just say your going to take your cherokee to a mechanic. Oh you poor soul, you are never going to have any money left for guns anymore. You'll spend it all on paying someone to fix the cherokee.

Climb under that big hunk of tin and start turning some wrenches.

In all seriousness for the brakes I would first check your fluid level. Then I would check your pads along with the bleeder valves both front and rear. The rears love to rust so be careful with them. Then I would try and bleed the system and go from there. Brakes on these trucks are extremely easy. Just remember to start farthest from the pump and work your way forward so passenger rear, driver rear passenger front and driver front.

And those pedals should be somewhat level. Crawl under into the footwell and check. There might be some form of adjustment because I know mine are level.

So, I decided to go the mechanic route. I just don't trust myself to mess with something as important as brakes. As it turns out, I was at the DMV renewing the inspection on the Jeep this morning and ran into and old friend that recommended a shop that was 10 minutes from me, so I took it in. The rear drums were extremely dirty (and pretty rusty) and the front rotors were warped and pitted. A few hundred bux later, and I know have acceptable breaking :)

I'd like to thank all of you for your suggestions, shop recommendations, and offers of help.