Sign in to follow this  
Chad

Chopper down on the hudson?

This is all I could find so far....

NEW YORK (WABC) -- A helicopter and a small plane crashed into the Hudson River near 14th street in Lower Manhattan.

Initial reports said a tour helicopter collided with the small plane appeared to hit the helicopter on the Jersey side of the river.

Police said the helicopter was carrying as many as six people. Initial reports said three people may have been on the plane. Officials said the plane had taken off from Teterboro Airport just before noon.

Debris has spread across river.

This story is developing

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?secti ... id=6955197

UPDATE 1-Helicopter hits small plane near New York

Sat Aug 8, 2009 12:37pm EDT

WASHINGTON, Aug> 8 (Reuters) - A tour helicopter hit a small plane and both crashed outside Hoboken, New Jersey with debris falling into the Hudson River, police reported on Saturday.

There was no immediate report on casualties. CNN said the helicopter had six people aboard.

Search and rescue crews were in the area, which is just across the Hudson from New York City. Fox TV said one survivor had been pulled from the river.

The helicopter was operated by Liberty Tours, local media said.

In January, a US Airways jet with more than 150 people on board crashed into the frigid Hudson River off Manhattan after apparently hitting a flock of geese. All aboard survived. (Reporting by Alan Elsner

No, not closed at all unless President or other major VIP in town.

Uncontrolled airspace below 1100'. Somedays it can be pretty bad with sightseeing helicopters and airplanes, especially when some of the airplanes don't report their positions.

Latest news conference by Bloomberg said 9 presumed dead, no survivors found. According to NYPD, they have changed it from a rescue to a recovery operation.

Based on the fact that the helicopter was an AStar 350 and the fixed wing a Piper Saratoga, both are normally operated by a more experienced pilot (John Jr excepted).

But I avoided that area like the plague. Way too crowded. I'm surprised there haven't been more incidents in that corridor. I would doubt there is any radar coverage in that area for the most part. Flight level too low with way too much ground clutter. Probably wouldn't have made a difference in any case.

The accident happened just after noon between Manhattan and Hoboken, N.J., and left debris scattered in the water and on the New Jersey shoreline, sending witnesses ducking for cover.

Wow...just after 12 huh? So unlike fox news to get something wrong!!! lol My post was @ 11:17, I didn't know I could predict the future!

No biggie I guess, just hate when news channels get info wrong.

It says your post was at 12:27.

Rscalzo, yes, the corridor can be very crowded some days and one must keep their head on a swivel and make accurate position reports.

Not a slam on fixed-wing pilots, but, although it is better today than 20 years ago when started flying helicopters around NYC, a lot of fixed-wingers don't use their radios. I, as well as many other helo pilots point out fixed-wing that aren't talking, to others on the river. EWR and LGA can see youon radar, ususally at 500 - 600 feet, but unless they put 1 controller on the river with no other duties, they are normally too busy to handle the traffic in their airspace and the traffic in the exclusion.

It's a sad accident, but unfortunately these things happen. I too am surprised that there haven't been more over the years.

If you think the Hudson is narrow, try flying up and down the East River, that is tight :)

Rscalzo, yes, the corridor can be very crowded some days and one must keep their head on a swivel and make accurate position reports.

Not a slam on fixed-wing pilots, but, although it is better today than 20 years ago when started flying helicopters around NYC, a lot of fixed-wingers don't use their radios. I, as well as many other helo pilots point out fixed-wing that aren't talking, to others on the river. EWR and LGA can see youon radar, ususally at 500 - 600 feet, but unless they put 1 controller on the river with no other duties, they are normally too busy to handle the traffic in their airspace and the traffic in the exclusion.

It's a sad accident, but unfortunately these things happen. I too am surprised that there haven't been more over the years.

If you think the Hudson is narrow, try flying up and down the East River, that is tight :)

I'm not a pilot nor have I ever taken a course, but it was my understanding that small fixed wingers are not required to even have a radio. Is this correct?

Wow...just after 12 huh? So unlike fox news to get something wrong!!! lol My post was @ 11:17,

:?: :?:

I see it at 12:27PM...after noon.

He's got his profile set to EST not EDT so it shows as if he posted at 11:17.

His join date is 11:17 a.m.

I'd rather deal with ATC and clearances than use that corridor. I feel for the rotary wing traffic dealing with everything that comes out of TEB although unlike when I was going out of there it seems there is very little except for heavy corporate.

Unfortunately things more very quickly in that area and as just seen, a blink of an eye and you have a midair.

A good friend was running the tower in TEB many years back when a midair between fixed and rotary wing occurred. Even though it was found he was not at fault, it affected him for years. He even pushed me into taking the ATC test years back. I's rather work the street with the sh*tbags than deal with what goes on in a tower.

I'm not a pilot nor have I ever taken a course, but it was my understanding that small fixed wingers are not required to even have a radio. Is this correct?

I took some helicopter flight lesson but I am far from having a license. I could be wrong but I thinks all aircraft have radios a lot of small airports use radio traffic to activate the runway lights automatically. 3 clicks on the mic turn them on and stuff like that.

I took some helicopter flight lesson but I am far from having a license. I could be wrong but I thinks all aircraft have radios a lot of small airports use radio traffic to activate the runway lights automatically. 3 clicks on the mic turn them on and stuff like that.

I'm about 5 years out of being current, but I believe you are partially correct, If the aircraft is operating in uncontrolled air-space, you do not need a radio. When I was flying down in Florida, around Daytona, there was a small airport community, Spruce Creek, with all retired guys who couldn't see anymore flying hand-built airplanes all over the place and hardly ever heard them on the radio. A lot of them didn't have them at all.

The plane in the incident today took off from teterboro airport, which has a tower, so failing emergency conditions, would need to have a functioning radio.

IMO, not having a radio, even in your home-built, is just a stupid idea.

I don't remember the regs off hand, but aircraft like gliders and some real old ones and some kit planes don't have the electrical system to run radios or transponders. As stated above, you do need two way communication when flying in controlled airspace unless you get a waiver. A lot of airplane pilots who are not professional pilots, don't always like to talk on the radio and some just don't know where to find the frequency for the rivers. At least in the past they weren't on the main navigation charts, just the more local detailed charts.