Sign in to follow this  
DirtyDigz

Took the GSG5 out for its first shoot today.

Got an invite from a friend who just got a new glock to go shoot on some private land. Took my GSG5, CX4, Shotgun and Glock.

I brought paper targets and Shoot-N-C stick-ons, but he had a better targets: Spray paint cans, an old aluminum pot, apples, cantelopes and big melons mounted on big plastic cups.

Lessons learned today -

- The GSG5 is now my favorite firearm to shoot

- GSG5 ProMag 15 rounds magazines from rrages.com work just fine if loaded carefully, even with sustained rapid fire.

- I need more GSG5 magazines

- It's scary how quick I can go through half a 550 round box of 22LR with the GSG.

- Next time I'm bringing a tarp so I don't have to pick up hundreds of 22LR brass casings.

- 9mm hollow points will blow up cantelopes and melons real good.

- 12 gauge 00 buckshot blows them up even better

- A Viridian laser (my friends) is much more visible in daylight than a lasermax guide rod laser (mine), especially once the lens of the lasermax gets coated with gunpowder residue.

- ALS bean bag rounds will fire through my improved cylinder choke, but they do not have enough recoil to cycle my semi-auto shotgun.

- Limbsaver recoil pads are worth their weight in gold if you fire heavy shotgun loads

- A semi auto shotgun doing a mag dump can make a neighbor come over and ask if you're shooting automatic weapons. :twisted:

Great day, and I couldn't be happier with the GSG.

Another shoot today, another 550 round box gobbled down.

That's 1100 rounds of the Federal ammo with no cleaning in between and ~3-4 misfeeds which were likely related to newbies loading the magazine.

When we ran out of the federal, we tried some other brand of ammo, soft lead bullets (not copper jacketed like the federal). No go, almost every round was a misfeed. So, feed it the ammo it likes and it will run all day, but it is picky.

I did break it down for cleaning today and found 2 screws/nuts loose, so some blue loctite will get used on those. Lot of caked on powder residue all over inside that didn't appear to slow it down at all. I'm impressed.