What some don't understand is that these permits are done on a time available basis. If anyone thinks that the other responsibilities of the officer processing the permit is put on a back burner so the permit can be processed is what happens, reality has not yet reached out to you.

Normal cases load is probably 20 or so active with many more in the semi-active bin. We processed permits for taxi cab drivers, teachers and other employees dealing in the areas of employment involving children.

Processing permits is a money losing task. A FID card cost from the department is maybe twenty dollars. If the department can document their costs, the state will allow the actual costs to be used as a fee. One officer doing the processing and BI takes at least an hour. That means the town can raise up their fees significantly yet I know we never did. The two dollar per permit and easier go up several times.

The point is, right now most town process them without any personal involvement. If they become a major pain in the butt, you can bet that they will look to start getting back from the process the costs it involves. That is exactly what happened up here. MA now charges significant fees over what what charged only a few years ago. Some started calling in complaints to the NH non-resident permit staff. the state simply decided they would think about raising the rate five or six times higher to cover the cost. Complaints stopped.

What some don't understand is that these permits are done on a time available basis. If anyone thinks that the other responsibilities of the officer processing the permit is put on a back burner so the permit can be processed is what happens, reality has not yet reached out to you.

Normal cases load is probably 20 or so active with many more in the semi-active bin. We processed permits for taxi cab drivers, teachers and other employees dealing in the areas of employment involving children.

Processing permits is a money losing task. A FID card cost from the department is maybe twenty dollars. If the department can document their costs, the state will allow the actual costs to be used as a fee. One officer doing the processing and BI takes at least an hour. That means the town can raise up their fees significantly yet I know we never did. The two dollar per permit and easier go up several times.

The point is, right now most town process them without any personal involvement. If they become a major pain in the butt, you can bet that they will look to start getting back from the process the costs it involves. That is exactly what happened up here. MA now charges significant fees over what what charged only a few years ago. Some started calling in complaints to the NH non-resident permit staff. the state simply decided they would think about raising the rate five or six times higher to cover the cost. Complaints stopped.

You know I understand that and I can sympathize, however, I don't feel that I am being treated fairly. Waiting I can deal with especially if they are just back logged or the officer in charge of processing it was on vacation. It would suck that I would have to wait longer, but I would just deal with it because those are honest and good reasons for delays. From the get go I've been accused of providing incorrect or false addresses for both my references and now I've been given an excuse that everyone agrees reeks of BS.

Yeah, the FBI thing does seem a bit sketchy. Which is why a call to the firearms investigation unit of the NJSP may be in order. If the FBI has put a 3 month hold on checks, then this would affect everyone state wide, and not just your local PD. The SP should be able to confirm or deny this pretty quickly. You shouldn't even have to give them your name or anything - just a simple "Hey, I'm in the process of applying for my FID and was told by my local PD that the FBI has put a 3 month hold on all checks. Do you know anything about this?" They may ask you what town you're in. And if your PD is lying, then there's a good chance the SP will give the chief a call to see what's up. Maybe I'm giving the NJSP too much credit, but, hell, it's worth a shot.

http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/divorg/inve ... -unit.html

Yeah, the FBI thing does seem a bit sketchy. Which is why a call to the firearms investigation unit of the NJSP may be in order. If the FBI has put a 3 month hold on checks, then this would affect everyone state wide, and not just your local PD. The SP should be able to confirm or deny this pretty quickly. You shouldn't even have to give them your name or anything - just a simple "Hey, I'm in the process of applying for my FID and was told by my local PD that the FBI has put a 3 month hold on all checks. Do you know anything about this?" They may ask you what town you're in. And if your PD is lying, then there's a good chance the SP will give the chief a call to see what's up. Maybe I'm giving the NJSP too much credit, but, hell, it's worth a shot.

You're the man Caine! Just got off the phone with them and they said they never heard of such a thing. They asked what town I was in and everything. So I'll give it some time and see what happens.

Ya know I need a tin foil hat now. I just realized something... if they're saying to me and possibly others there's a 3 month hold they may be trying to delay people till the OGAM law is officially in effect. Before you agree I need the hat let me explain what dawned on me.

I applied in the first week of July (the 8th).

They said it would take 3 months before they request the background check. That puts me sometime in October before they bother processing it. 3 months before OGAM is officially enforced.

Thanks to the lawyers/judges they don't have to give decision within 30 days until they have all the paperwork from the state. So if they can delay it till somewhere mid to late October they have another 30 days added to my wait time. That puts me to mid to late November when I get my FPID.

The later in November the better for them because if I request more handgun permits like I plan to I won't get them till sometime in mid to late December when money is the tightest due to the holiday season.

Because of money being tight most people can't afford to purchase additional guns till the new year especially during this recession plopping any potential purchases after OGAM goes into effect.

Now give me my shiny new tin foil hat! :lol:

It would not surprise me that the FBI has done this - BUT, more than likely it's just another BS story. BTW, I googled whether there was any shred of news on this and you can't find anything about the FBI doing non-essentials... But they sure are slow as evidenced by many of the gov't clearances needed here at work being delayed...

It would not surprise me that the FBI has done this - BUT, more than likely it's just another BS story. BTW, I googled whether there was any shred of news on this and you can't find anything about the FBI doing non-essentials... But they sure are slow as evidenced by many of the gov't clearances needed here at work being delayed...

Actually I called the FIU at the state PD and they even called BS.

tin-foil-hat.jpg

:)

The cat's face is priceless! :lol:

So we're at the 8 week mark so I decided to make a personal visit. Now there's someone completely new there behind the permits desk. Walked up and told him I wanted to know the status of my FPID. His first response was did I get a letter in the mail and when I responded no he tried dismissing it as I gotta wait longer, but instead of walking away like he had hoped I quoted the 30 day law and told him what that PD has put me through already in front of a few teenagers to him and he immediately got nervous. Like he got jittery and started talking fast trying to keep the blame shift on the state PD and FBI. He admitted there were some letters going out regarding FPID's, but he doesn't know where everything was yet and couldn't check up if any of those was mine. I also found out he's only been in the permits office for a week and a half now which puts his employment there around the same time I made that phone call to the FIU. So it looks as though that phone call rattled up the permits office at the local PD a bit like I hoped.

You guys are lucky - It took my wife and I 6 months initially and it took my father, mother, and sister 7 months and 2 weeks for their cards to come in. 9 weeks is a cakewalk.

This pistol permit and FAID card system is ridiculous - The damn gangbangers buy more guns per month illegally than we can in one year!

NICS should be MORE than enough.

And they get to carry them because as criminals, they don't follow the GD laws in place anyway!

Why is it that with most states in the union, a driver's license and a NICS call is enough?

Of course keeping guns out of our hands is curbtailing gun violence in our cities :roll:

Honest Answer?? MOST states in the Union have an articulated RKBA in the State Constitution. NJ does not.

Why is it that with most states in the union, a driver's license and a NICS call is enough?

Of course keeping guns out of our hands is curbtailing gun violence in our cities :roll:

Honest Answer?? MOST states in the Union have an articulated RKBA in the State Constitution. NJ does not.

I think that and a fake ID created with stolen ID information for a while was fairly cake walk pre-9/11. The introduction of computers made it harder, but after 9/11 they really started to crack down on that stuff.

I think that and a fake ID created with stolen ID information for a while was fairly cake walk pre-9/11. The introduction of computers made it harder, but after 9/11 they really started to crack down on that stuff.

I think you guys missed my point.

Ya know I need a tin foil hat now. I just realized something... if they're saying to me and possibly others there's a 3 month hold they may be trying to delay people till the OGAM law is officially in effect. Before you agree I need the hat let me explain what dawned on me.

I applied in the first week of July (the 8th).

They said it would take 3 months before they request the background check. That puts me sometime in October before they bother processing it. 3 months before OGAM is officially enforced.

Thanks to the lawyers/judges they don't have to give decision within 30 days until they have all the paperwork from the state. So if they can delay it till somewhere mid to late October they have another 30 days added to my wait time. That puts me to mid to late November when I get my FPID.

The later in November the better for them because if I request more handgun permits like I plan to I won't get them till sometime in mid to late December when money is the tightest due to the holiday season.

Because of money being tight most people can't afford to purchase additional guns till the new year especially during this recession plopping any potential purchases after OGAM goes into effect.

Now give me my shiny new tin foil hat! :lol:

any update? i was told by my police department that it would take 4 months for mine to process!!!

i was pretty mind blown by that to be honest. hopefully you got yours before the OGAM.

any update? i was told by my police department that it would take 4 months for mine to process!!!

i was pretty mind blown by that to be honest. hopefully you got yours before the OGAM.

Yeah if you scrolled down a bit farther I had posted an update. Got my permits almost a week ago and just in time for the Valley Forge. :D