Chad

Police find weapons cache in Clinton Twp. home

I don't consider that a weapons cache in the least, but the big problem was that he couldn't produce his FPID. That's what put the nail in his coffin and most likely prompted a search of his home in the first place.

other than discharge of a firearm in a residential area, If all the guns were on his property, I thought I read somewhere here that he did not need any FID to have guns at his home.

Yes, but the article made it sound like he was discovered outside of his home with alcohol and a 22 rifle which may have been the case. If he moved to NJ and brought his guns its one thing, but if he's been a lifetime resident he's required a FPID to purchase even with out of state purchases. So if he's a lifetime NJ resident with guns and no FPID there's a good chance the guns were illegally acquired.

other than discharge of a firearm in a residential area, If all the guns were on his property, I thought I read somewhere here that he did not need any FID to have guns at his home.

One of the reasons you should know the law. That statute has nothing to do with how the owner came into possession of the firearm or weapon. It has everything to do with how that weapon was used. It is the same statute that covers any weapon. Is it the statute used when a cutting instrument is used. It goes towards how and not what is used in the crime.

Standing outside your home drunk shooting a gun will get you noticed.

http://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/charge ... apons8.htm

One of the reasons you should know the law. That statute has nothing to do with how the owner came into possession of the firearm or weapon. It has everything to do with how that weapon was used. It is the same statute that covers any weapon. Is it the statute used when a cutting instrument is used. It goes towards how and not what is used in the crime.

How do you rectify this then:

From your link:

1 Excepted from this Statute are machine guns, handguns, rifles and shotguns. (See N.J.S.A. 2C:39-5a to 5e.).

Is this just a bad case of reporting, or the police not 100% sure of the laws? What does not having his FPID Card have to do with this? I thought the FPID was only for purchase.

When a weapon, any weapon is used in an illegal manner, this statute is used. The fact that it is a legal firearm, knife, bat, etc. has nothing to do with it. Standard charge in most cases.

NJSA Title 13 deals with the requirement of a FID card, not title 2C.

The Disorderly Conduct was the use of it while intoxicated. Discharge ordinances for the most part at set town by town.

When a weapon, any weapon is used in an illegal manner, this statute is used. The fact that it is a legal firearm, knife, bat, etc. has nothing to do with it. Standard charge in most cases.

NJSA Title 13 deals with the requirement of a FID card, not title 2C.

The Disorderly Conduct was the use of it while intoxicated. Discharge ordinances for the most part at set town by town.

That's what I'm asking about.. the article said:

When Guadagno could not produce a firearms identification card, officers arrested him on charges of unlawful weapons possession, possession of handcuffs and disorderly conduct, police said.

According to the law you posted, even if he did have a FPID, it would still be irrelevant because the weapon was used in an unlawful manner. No?

What is a gravity knife? That's a new one to me.

Any knife that can be opened by the force of gravity. Aka if you can flick your wrist and the blade folds out, its considered a gravity knife. Make sure you don't have one of those babies in NYC otherwise your in HUGE trouble.

a form of switchblade where the action of gravity extends the blade when you press a button; I believe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity_knife - "A gravity knife is a knife that opens by the force of inertia or gravity."

Note that the ban on various funky equipment is only if posessed "without any explainable lawful purpose". I love the weasel-words in the NJ weapon statutes, don't you? (NJ code 2C:39-3 e). Illegal to make or sell under any circumstanced, though

Incidentally - NJ definition

e. Certain weapons. Any person who knowingly has in his

possession any gravity knife, switchblade knife, dagger,

dirk, stiletto, billy, blackjack, metal knuckle, sandclub,

slingshot, cestus or similar leather band studded with

metal filings or razor blades imbedded in wood, ballistic

knife, without any explainable lawful purpose, is guilty

of a crime of the fourth degree.

- 2C:39-1 h. "Gravity knife" means any knife which has a

blade which is released from the handle or sheath thereof

by the force of gravity or the application of centrifugal

force... p. "Switchblade knife" means any knife or similar