n4p226r

rifle in a soft bag. no trunk

Under the conditions you describe I don't think a trigger lock will help you. The case itself has to be locked but it doesn't have to be a hard case. If your soft case has a zipper pull with a hole in the end there might be a ring or something on the case you could secure it to with a cheap little lock and that would be ok. My soft rifle cases have dual zipper pulls and locking the two of them together prevents the case from being opened. I've heard of someone who didn't want to fuss with keys using ty-wraps.

is a trigger lock like 178660_lg.gif inside a soft case sufficient for a hatchback or do i need some sort of cheap plastic case with a lock.

Technically no. The law says locked case. It goes a long way towards intent however.

In a hatchback, can you fold the seats up and put a privacy cover over it? That would qualify it as a separate compartment.

g.All weapons being transported under paragraph (2) of subsection b., subsection e., or paragraph (1) or (3) of subsection f. of this section shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.
As it reads, the case only needs to be closed, not locked. You may just slip a gun sock over the firearm and be legal as do many hunters.

Shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel, shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.

The firearm should not be directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle. If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearm and ammunition must be in a locked container other than the vehicle's glove compartment or console.

A Hatchback with the seats down does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment so therefore it must be in a locked container.

If you have the seats up and a good privacy cover, that would create a separate compartment.

Malsua, where was your quote from?

http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/about/fire_trans.html

That is from the State Police Website, and is a recommendation, it's not actually written in the statute they refer to

I want to say you are correct, BUT, I swore there is a section in the law that states a glove box is not legal. I just can't find that now.

The federal law is the following:

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or

regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any

person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from

transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to

transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he

may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place

where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during

such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the

firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible

or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such

transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle

without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the

firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container

other than the glove compartment or console.

This would explain the confusion. The police have adopted this apparently.

Doesn't this law apply to interstate transport? So if you are staying in NJ, wouldn't unloaded in a a closed/securely tied package suffice?

I suspect that if the NJ police are using the NJ law and the extra bit from the Federal law, that's what you need to adhere to. Right, wrong or indifferent, they're going to stick to it. You might win in court but at what expense? The federal addition with the locks isn't really unreasonable.

Shrug.

Question: some of these quoted laws say "firearms AND ammunition" and others say "firearms OR ammunition". Which is it?

Federal law is "or", NJ police don't have any law to cite so they make it up as they go and went with "and"

Remember the locks apply only to the same compartment as the driver which in most cases is a pickup truck, 2 seater or open hatchback type of vehicle. In that case, just lock it all up and you're good. The hassle of arrest and lawyers for the sake of a $5 lock just isn't worth it.

Doesn't this law apply to interstate transport? So if you are staying in NJ, wouldn't unloaded in a a closed/securely tied package suffice?

I suspect that if the NJ police are using the NJ law and the extra bit from the Federal law, that's what you need to adhere to. Right, wrong or indifferent, they're going to stick to it. You might win in court but at what expense? The federal addition with the locks isn't really unreasonable.

Shrug.

I totally understand reality, but I always like to get down to the actual law, because there are just too many untruths floating around and lots of new shooters who are scared that they will become felons without knowing it.