Sign in to follow this  
Freedom-First

OO Buck Preference

after much testing before slugs were legal in n.j. , i found 2 3/4" # 1 buck shot to be the best performer in four different shotguns with full , modified , + cyl. choke -

Qestion? I will be shooting slugs this year for my first time. I know nothing about the different slug ammos. I'm using an 870 reciver with a Mossberg made 870 cantilever & rifled barrel with 3" chamber. What type of slug can I use besides the pricey Sabotted slugs. Can I use slugs, rifled slugs or? I found a place online called Ables, they sell slugs for $34 a box of 50 (bulk buy) but the only info. they give is there "2 3/4" 1oz slugs", I have no idea if I can use these. Reason for so many, is I still need to sight in the scope, don't want to use 3" do to recoil. Is the best range for slugs in the 75 to 100 yards range? Thanks.

Qestion? I will be shooting slugs this year for my first time. I know nothing about the different slug ammos. I'm using an 870 reciver with a Mossberg made 870 cantilever & rifled barrel with 3" chamber. What type of slug can I use besides the pricey Sabotted slugs. Can I use slugs, rifled slugs or? I found a place online called Ables, they sell slugs for $34 a box of 50 (bulk buy) but the only info. they give is there "2 3/4" 1oz slugs", I have no idea if I can use these. Reason for so many, is I still need to sight in the scope, don't want to use 3" do to recoil. Is the best range for slugs in the 75 to 100 yards range? Thanks.

This boxoftruth.com article might help with some of those questions:

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot46.htm

ya you will be fine with that I think

But as long as you dont waste the sabots whats the difference?

Well.. i have no problem buying a box of sabots to bring down a deer.. but I'm trying to sight this damn thing in.. and it get's painful with spending $3 everytime I pull the trigger

ya you will be fine with that I think

But as long as you dont waste the sabots whats the difference?

Well.. i have no problem buying a box of sabots to bring down a deer.. but I'm trying to sight this damn thing in.. and it get's painful with spending $3 everytime I pull the trigger

ya that is brutal

its not what type of 00 I like its what type does your gun like you have to pattern several brands thru at least two chokes my primary 870 12 ga with lenghthened forceing cone likes federal 00 thru a mod choke .with a full choke groups opened up