Dwarven1

What guns can a non-resident bring to NJ while visiting?

Title says it all. I no longer live in NJ but my best friend still does. Can I bring either my rifles or my handguns down while visiting him so that we can go shooting?

I do still have, somewhere, my FID card from 28 years ago, and the FLPD tells me that I can get the address changed to my current address (MA), so I'm guessing that the rifles are OK. What about handguns? (I know about keeping them in a locked container, etc).

+1 to what Hodgie said, no mags over 15 rounds, and no NJ assault weapons.

If you bring them, make sure they are in a closed/locked container and unloaded (federal transit law). If your vehicle has a trunk.. put them in the trunk.

Don't ride around with them in the car while in NJ. Only go to the range and back. No stops/detours, only reasonably necessary. (Ie, diner on the way home is probably fine, but don't go to AC to catch a show).

The Firearms purchaser ID card doesn't have anything to do with possession of firearms. It only has to do with the purchase of firearms, since you will not be able to do that in NJ, you don't need to worry about your FPID card not being valid.

for use in this state they must be n.j. compliant - if traveling thru n.j. anything that is legal at

point of departure + at destination that is stored properly is legal by federal law -

Any cites for this?

Reason I ask is that while my buddy told me the same thing, while I was on my way out of MA I stopped at a gunsmith to pick up my 1911 (getting new sights), and when he heard that I was heading for NJ, he pulled the "I'm a former cop, and that's illegal" routine on me. He mentioned a friend of his who got nailed traveling through (stopped to fix a flat and a statie saw the rifle cases in his trunk) NJ. And while thinking of this, I remembered the story of the guy from Utah who got busted because his connecting flight (at Newark) got cancelled, so he had to overnight in NJ with his checked guns... and got arrested when he arrived the next morning for his new flight.

It's not an urgent thing - I was there this past weekend - but I'd like to know for sure for next time. And I'd like to have a copy of the relevant statutes for my friend. You know, Justin Case?

Start here:

http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/about/fire_trans.html

Relevant points"

A. The person's possession of the firearm was lawful in the state in which the journey began;

B. The person's possession of the firearm will be lawful in the state in which the journey will end;

C. The person is transporting the firearm for lawful purpose

Stopping to fix a flat falls within the reasonable definition. If he was not on the way home, to a range or to hunt, that could be why he was fouled up.

If you say "Hunting" You'd better have a hunting license.

.. And while thinking of this, I remembered the story of the guy from Utah who got busted because his connecting flight (at Newark) got cancelled, so he had to overnight in NJ with his checked guns... and got arrested when he arrived the next morning for his new flight..

he also had hollow points and was not going to or from a range or hunting. It was his CCW.

17) Revell was arrested by Port Authority Police Officer Scott

Erickson (Shield # 2217) for possession of a handgun without a permit

(N.J.S.

Doesnt the Federal law say, as long as it is legal, and you can legaly be in possesion of said gun at your starting point, and the same for your ending destination, any stops that are reasonable in between, you are OK. So if you needed to travel through a state that some things are not allowed but your gun is locked up properly and you are not using it Ex. going to the range for some fun during your layover. Unless you are staying and then it would have to be legal of course.

Sorry if this sounds confusing.

Doesnt the Federal law say, as long as it is legal, and you can legaly be in possesion of said gun at your starting point, and the same for your ending destination, any stops that are reasonable in between, you are OK. So if you needed to travel through a state that some things are not allowed but your gun is locked up properly and you are not using it Ex. going to the range for some fun during your layover. Unless you are staying and then it would have to be legal of course.

Sorry if this sounds confusing.

Yes. I believe that's why the port authority settled with the guy they falsely arrested.

1. White Castle

2. 24 Hour Diners everywhere.

3. Diverse Environment- Within 2 hours drive, you have the beach (infamous jersey shore), pine barrens, mountains, forest, city, suburbs, etc.

4.Stewarts root beer and chili dogs.

5. Pretty good pizza, almost anywhere.

White Castle at #1?! I suppose we all have different tastes... I'll take Sonics over White Castle any day, and having two in NJ doesn't really count. That's like saying Chipotle is in NJ when there is maybe a handful spread throughout the state while Denver/Aurora has 3-4 within five blocks (its like what Starbucks is to our area). The pizza I'll agree with in a heart beat, and I would actually put at one (with fat sandwiches and diners a close second). I would also like to add the fact that we have real bagels here. I know, its overlooked, but I've noticed the bagels are terribad everywhere else in the country (or don't have them... or ever heard of them).

Otherwise, if I wasn't a resident, NJ would just be a pit stop. It actually amazes me that Corey Booker could find anything worthwhile to mention regarding Newark (regarding his spate with Conan). Only time I stop by is when I pass through Liberty Int'l, and even that is just an absolute s---hole that is outdated and grimy. /rant off

White Castle at #1?! I suppose we all have different tastes... I'll take Sonics over White Castle any day, and having two in NJ doesn't really count. That's like saying Chipotle is in NJ when there is maybe a handful spread throughout the state while Denver/Aurora has 3-4 within five blocks (its like what Starbucks is to our area). The pizza I'll agree with in a heart beat, and I would actually put at one (with fat sandwiches and diners a close second). I would also like to add the fact that we have real bagels here. I know, its overlooked, but I've noticed the bagels are terribad everywhere else in the country (or don't have them... or ever heard of them).

Otherwise, if I wasn't a resident, NJ would just be a pit stop. It actually amazes me that Corey Booker could find anything worthwhile to mention regarding Newark (regarding his spate with Conan). Only time I stop by is when I pass through Liberty Int'l, and even that is just an absolute s---hole that is outdated and grimy. /rant off

After Wednesday's episode of South Park, I'm on a quest to find ChipotleAway

http://consumerist.com/5377968/chipotle ... wear-blood

Besides.. Moe's is better than Salsarita's, and Casa De Tortilla Owns All

FCK Chipotle

Chipotle isn't as good as it should be in NJ is what I've come to notice. The guys making the burritos hardly pack the burritos with enough food. In CO, my bud and I would normally get one, and then another for a later meal... and two full grown guys could hardly finish one burrito in a sitting. Here? They neuter the burritos terribly, and I know its for economic reasons, but people are not getting the real experience :(

Moe's is terrible. At least the one on 130 near Hightstown.

1. White Castle

2. 24 Hour Diners everywhere.

3. Diverse Environment- Within 2 hours drive, you have the beach (infamous jersey shore), pine barrens, mountains, forest, city, suburbs, etc.

4.Stewarts root beer and chili dogs.

5. Pretty good pizza, almost anywhere.

OK.... I break.....these are excellent reasons!

My wife says that NJ/NY has the best pizza she has ever had! Almost in every shop too!

The diners are awesome and you know we all Crave the castle.

I have never had Sonic but others have made it clear that it is the shizzle!

Dragging this thread back on topic by the throat...

Doesnt the Federal law say, as long as it is legal, and you can legaly be in possesion of said gun at your starting point, and the same for your ending destination, any stops that are reasonable in between, you are OK.

Yes, it does. So my question still stands: is it legal for me, a Massachusetts resident, to bring my handguns to New Jersey (my ENDING DESTINATION) to shoot? FOPA has nothing to do with it as I'm not traveling through, but TO NJ.

Oh, and for me, aside from my best friend and mother living in NJ, my top reason to visit is Hot Bagels on Saddle River Road in Fair Lawn - best bagels ANYWHERE.

Dragging this thread back on topic by the throat...

Doesnt the Federal law say, as long as it is legal, and you can legaly be in possesion of said gun at your starting point, and the same for your ending destination, any stops that are reasonable in between, you are OK.

Yes, it does. So my question still stands: is it legal for me, a Massachusetts resident, to bring my handguns to New Jersey (my ENDING DESTINATION) to shoot? FOPA has nothing to do with it as I'm not traveling through, but TO NJ.

Oh, and for me, aside from my best friend and mother living in NJ, my top reason to visit is Hot Bagels on Saddle River Road in Fair Lawn - best bagels ANYWHERE.

Yes! as long as they aren't listed as an assault pistol, or have too many evil features.

Your actual ending destination is whatever range you're going to shoot at. Just make sure you've got it straight. Don't say "Cherry Ridge" and be at exit 6 NJTP headed south or Brick Armory and on 78 headed to Allentown. If you are headed toward your range and stop to get gas, fix a tire, on a rest stop on the highway, you're fine. It is also ok if you are on your way to pick up someone who is going to the range with you. The point is reasonable stops or diversions. Stopping to watch a Movie at the local 20 plex is NOT ok. Actively engaged in travel to/from legal place to have firearms: Range, Home, gun smith(for repair not to browse), hunting.

The transport rules apply. NJ assault weapons, magazine limits and evil feature limitations apply.

I think the best bagels are in Maywood. Bakin Bagels. Hot and nummy. I'm sure the place in Fairlawn is good too.

I think the best bagels are in Maywood. Bakin Bagels. Hot and nummy. I'm sure the place in Fairlawn is good too.

Damn YOU!!! Have you tried Florida bagels, they are either spongy or dry hard like a hockey pop :cry: :evil:.The bagel shop you'r talking is the one in Maywood on Rt. 17 next to the Shop Rite. The Fairlawn is the one by Rt. 208 across the street from the gas station, I used to have my coffee and bagel every day on my way to Glen Rock. I want my bagel now. Cinnamon raisin

Hi,

Actually, I was discussing this topic in my introduction to the forum postings.

At the NJ Pa border, my handgun leaves its holster and gets locked in a case in the trunk. The mags and ammo get locked in a separate case. I would have 10 round mags with me.

If I am passing through the state, Title 18 applies. No problem. However, if I visit relatives in New Jersey, can I leave my handgun in their house while visiting--legally?

Or, if I stay in a hotel, can I leave my handgun in the room safe or hotel safe legally?

I don't want to spend time in jail until a judge decides whether or not my actions were reasonable.

Hi,

Actually, I was discussing this topic in my introduction to the forum postings.

At the NJ Pa border, my handgun leaves its holster and gets locked in a case in the trunk. The mags and ammo get locked in a separate case. I would have 10 round mags with me.

If I am passing through the state, Title 18 applies. No problem. However, if I visit relatives in New Jersey, can I leave my handgun in their house while visiting--legally?

Or, if I stay in a hotel, can I leave my handgun in the room safe or hotel safe legally?

I don't want to spend time in jail until a judge decides whether or not my actions were reasonable.

You would probably also want to have some federal EFMJ rather than HP to be on the safe side.

You might want to examine this, although it doesn't answer your question.

http://www.websupp.org/data/DNJ/2:06-cv ... 38-DNJ.pdf